Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing chain replacement.

Hparrots

I was wondering at what mileage is it recommended to get a timing chain replace. I currently have a Toyota auris estate hybrid 15 plate. I've had it at 54000 miles it's coming up to 100k. I have serviced it every 10k I have had no problems so far at all. Just worried about the timing chain really. 

It's supposed to last for the lifetime of the car, that's why there is no service mentioned in the manual.

Just keep up with regular oil changes,  and there should be nothing to worry about.

I know Toyota advises 10000 miles interval, but i personally prefer 6000 miles, after it goes over 60000 miles, it's better for the engine in general, and can't really hurt.

The expense is not that great either.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, furtula said:

It's supposed to last for the lifetime of the car, that's why there is no service mentioned in the manual.

Just keep up with regular oil changes,  and there should be nothing to worry about.

I know Toyota advises 10000 miles interval, but i personally prefer 6000 miles, after it goes over 60000 miles, it's better for the engine in general, and can't really hurt.

The expense is not that great either.

I totally agree and change the engine oil and oil filter (Toyota oil and filter) myself 6 months/5000miles after it's routine service. Far "cheaper", in the long term, than the possible need for a timing chain replacement.

Just to add, I own a 58 years old Morris Minor 1000 still with the original timing chain and tensioner. However, engine oil and filter changes are at 3months/3000 miles.🤣The tension is maintained by way of a rubber ring on the camshaft gear!

4 hours ago, mrpj said:

Just to add, I own a 58 years old Morris Minor 1000 still with the original timing chain and tensioner. However, engine oil and filter changes are at 3months/3000 miles.🤣The tension is maintained by way of a rubber ring on the camshaft gear!

Lovely simple cars. My neighbours ran a Morris Minor until the early 90s when severe corrosion caused it to fail an MOT. They couldn't bear to scrap it so it sat in a corner of their back garden for several years, gradually being swallowed up by a hedge. Eventually they sold it to someone who wanted it for parts to keep another Minor going. We put a new Battery on it, connected up a temporary fuel can with fresh petrol in and it started on the second attempt!

10 hours ago, mrpj said:

I totally agree and change the engine oil and oil filter (Toyota oil and filter) myself 6 months/5000miles after it's routine service. Far "cheaper", in the long term, than the possible need for a timing chain replacement.

isn't 5k miles overkill especially if using synthetic oil? 

1 hour ago, ziauris said:

Tell that to 'muricans, who got brainwashed to changing oil every 3k miles, or less.

I dont consider it an overkill (3k miles would be that though), the oil deteriorates over time, and from heat of the engine, especially in summer.

• Like 1

This all reminds me of the man in the USA who has done 3 million miles in his 1966 Volvo P1800. It is said that when he hit the 3m mark he had done 857 oil changes - so that works out at 3,500 miles per oil change - he used to say this was one of the secrets of its longevity. Having said that he has had two full engine rebuilds, which I guess is allowable 😁 Naturally, had it been a Corolla, the engine rebuilds wouldn't have been necessary 😂

• Like 1

Yeah, good example. The trick with oil is to change regularly at or before manufacturers recommendations never later. I personally change mine at every 10k miles and because all this happens in very short time I can see oil is not in bad shape or colour, I can do more frequently than that but it would not be necessary in my case. 

13 hours ago, ziauris said:

Possibly, but it's my choice and I will continue with the same routine. Don't believe all the hype around synthetic oils though.🤐

On 3/5/2020 at 9:52 AM, mrpj said:

Possibly, but it's my choice and I will continue with the same routine. Don't believe all the hype around synthetic oils though.🤐

Don't get caught up in the 5k oil change hype either, it was promoted by oil manufacturers for obvious reasons. If Toyota (the people that make the car) say 10k miles then that should be fine, some manufacturers (Vauxhall) even have gone to 20k miles.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links