Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying a Yaris:

arthur male

Should I buy a used 2019 3 rd generation Yaris hybrid now or should I wait until September 2020 and buy a new 4 th generation Yaris? I am switching to Yaris following a happy 24 years using a 1996 Honda Civic 1.4 litre with no faults.

If you want lots of technology I would recommend waiting. There is no comparison between my 2017 Yaris Hybrid and my Corolla Hybrid and I get the impression that the new Yaris will have a lot of the Corolla technology. Plus the new 3 cylinder hybrid model is claimed to have much better fuel economy and should be better to drive. But you have to weigh this against the likelihood of a big discount on the run out model and paying nearly the full increased price for the new model.  

• Like 2

The new model looks rather interesting - I would wait.

• Like 1

Also bear in mind that, like the Rav4 and, to a lesser extent, the Corolla, there may be a wait to get one's hands on the new 2020 Yaris.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoff W said:

If you want lots of technology I would recommend waiting. There is no comparison between my 2017 Yaris Hybrid and my Corolla Hybrid and I get the impression that the new Yaris will have a lot of the Corolla technology. Plus the new 3 cylinder hybrid model is claimed to have much better fuel economy and should be better to drive. But you have to weigh this against the likelihood of a big discount on the run out model and paying nearly the full increased price for the new model.  

Really brilliant assessment Geoff!. Thank you. Now that you mention it, we are actually considering, and having a hard time deciding, whether to buy a Yaris or a Corolla 2019 Hybrid with 9500 miles, all the extras already paid for and at a reasonable price from our local Twickenham Toyota dealer. We were probably going to wait until February 2021 to buy the Yaris 2020 Hybrid used. One problem is my wife is 70 and I am 75 and we feel a little uncomfortable with the ultra modern Corolla body design in our driveway and on the road. Do you feel the design is a real classic / modern design or a little to showy. Having lived with the look are you really satisfied? The Corolla used car colour is blue so that should tone down the impact. What do you think considering we are, afterall, two oldies? Can we adapt? 

I have the denim blue touring sport and I love it. The design is different to cars of only a few years ago but remarkably similar to a whole lot of current cars. It took a day or two to adjust to the length but nothing about the look makes me feel uncomfortable. For what it’s worth, I’m 73 and my wife is 70. I certainly don’t think it’s an old person’s car but if you look at the reviews on Toyota’s web site which chooses to list the age group of reviewers you’ll find a lot of owners are our age - I can’t think of any reason to be embarrassed about having one!

Being an oldie myself Arthur, I suggest you have a real good test in whatever you looking at. I am 72 and wife 70, and our Prius is quite low (designed that way to get the good fuel consumption due to low coefficient of friction). Love the car to bits, every journey is enjoyable, but I do think what happens as we get a bit older and less able to get out of it. Maybe then we will be looking at a Yaris again as it’s higher seating etc. So make sure your test drive further then round the block. When  I moved away from a Qashqai to Auris hybrid, even before I got to the dealers I had arranged a test drive of at least 20 miles, and I think we did more like 25.

If seat height is likely to be an issue for you, the current Yaris is higher than the Corolla, but be aware that the new Yaris is going to be a fair bit lower than the current Yaris. Have a good test drive and try getting in and out when parked against a kerb rather than in the dealer’s car park!

I would wait for the new Yaris and get one used in Feb 21 with the new engine and better battery in it and it should be better to drive over previous Yaris models from the sounds of it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links