Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New corolla hybrid & dash cam

Roger F

I ordered the Nextbase GW380 from my dealer, but they said they'd experienced 'an issue' with some earlier installations and couldn't get hold of tech support, so are unwilling currently to install one for me.
So any GW380 owners out there - are there any issues please? 

I have had mine installed for a year and no real issues. I find the interface to my phone a bit clunky but it have had no issues with the installation. I just wish I could add a rear cam now they do the GWX.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 8/18/2020 at 6:43 PM, highlander0681 said:

Would you be so kind to show hot to reach that fuse? Also, did you remove the side pillar? I couldn't find any tutorial how to do that...

i don't really have any pics but i didn't fully remove the trim, i had some plastic "spudgers" which i used previously for screen repairs on mobile devices which allowed me to pull things out enough to stuff the cable in,  The only thing i had to pop off completely was the largish rectangular plastic section next to the glove box that you can see when you open the door.  again the plastic tools i had already took care of that.  then it was just a case of adjusting the amount of excess cable.  to be honest it's a mess but you can't see it which is the main thing 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2020 at 2:06 PM, Sidrat said:

Here are some photos of my installation, as previously posted here the front camera is a Nextbase 380GW, the rear a Roadhawk Vision.

The first photo is my view from the drivers seat, you can just see the cable for the front one on the top left of the rear view mirror, if you zoom in on the mirror you can see the rear camera in the top centre of the rear window.  Second and third photos are better views of both cameras, last photo a closer view of what I see in the mirror.

20200307_124821.jpg

20200307_124524.jpg

20200307_124617.jpg

20200307_124645.jpg

Would you be so kind to share how you wired and powered the rear camera? Did you use the 12V socket in the trunk? And how did you conceal the cable?

6 hours ago, highlander0681 said:

Would you be so kind to share how you wired and powered the rear camera? Did you use the 12V socket in the trunk? And how did you conceal the cable?

Yes the rear one goes to the socket in the boot, the cable from the socket, goes up the carpet a short way (held in place by some short strips of Velcro hooks), then under the plastic trim and roof lining to the smaller of the two umbilical sleeves to the boot door, though this to where the camera is mounted.

20200907_175501.jpg

20200907_175516.jpg

20200907_175435.jpg

A neater fit than the Toyota garage did.  They pierced the sleeve and fed the cable through to the armrest 12v socket between the seat and hard wired it there (not into the socket but into its wiring.  The Design does not have a 12v socket in the boot.

2 hours ago, Sidrat said:

Yes the rear one goes to the socket in the boot, the cable from the socket, goes up the carpet a short way (held in place by some short strips of Velcro hooks), then under the plastic trim and roof lining to the smaller of the two umbilical sleeves to the boot door, though this to where the camera is mounted.

20200907_175501.jpg

20200907_175516.jpg

20200907_175435.jpg

Thanks a lot. Nice.. was it hard to push the cable through the under the roof lining and through the sleeve and to take off that plastic cover?

How long do you estimate the cable need to be? I assume there is not much space where to fold an unnecessarily long cable..? 2 -2,5 meters?

32 minutes ago, highlander0681 said:

Thanks a lot. Nice.. was it hard to push the cable through the under the roof lining and through the sleeve and to take off that plastic cover?

How long do you estimate the cable need to be? I assume there is not much space where to fold an unnecessarily long cable..? 2 -2,5 meters?

The cable in the roof lining was easy, I loosened the sleeve at the car end and got the cable through using a 'fish wire', then once pulled through re-attached the sleeve to the car.  The plastic cover comes off easily, the only thing I did was use a small round file on the edge to make a half-round slot where the cable exits to the camera so the plastic panel sits flat.  I have just measured from the socket in the boot to the camera, it measures 1.4m, 1.5 would give you a little extra to play with.  Mine was about 2m long, I just lost the excess behind the trim!

On 9/7/2020 at 10:23 PM, Sidrat said:

The cable in the roof lining was easy, I loosened the sleeve at the car end and got the cable through using a 'fish wire', then once pulled through re-attached the sleeve to the car.  The plastic cover comes off easily, the only thing I did was use a small round file on the edge to make a half-round slot where the cable exits to the camera so the plastic panel sits flat.  I have just measured from the socket in the boot to the camera, it measures 1.4m, 1.5 would give you a little extra to play with.  Mine was about 2m long, I just lost the excess behind the trim!

119597044_333104824709154_5829825579496050302_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=z12Qr6Jc4joAX9wvnSB&_nc_ht=scontent-prg1-1.xx&oh=cf6e13450080f78cb464865ace1096de&oe=5F826630

Something like this?

On 9/13/2020 at 7:25 PM, highlander0681 said:

119597044_333104824709154_5829825579496050302_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=z12Qr6Jc4joAX9wvnSB&_nc_ht=scontent-prg1-1.xx&oh=cf6e13450080f78cb464865ace1096de&oe=5F826630

Something like this?

Yes, exactly the route.

• 4 months later...

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and new to owning a Toyota too. I have a Corolla Hybrid Saloon Luna Sport version since September and I absolutely love it. I'm finally getting around to getting a Dashcam sorted. I've bought a Nextbase 522GW with rear window camera and a hardwire kit. I'm just wondering how any of you who did your own install of front and rear cameras got around the problem of the front and rear curtain airbags? I'm generally handy at doing stuff like this and fitted cameras on my previous car but the airbags on the Corolla make me a bit nervous about getting this done myself. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. 

• 4 months later...

is it 'safe' to attach a dash cam on the 'spotty' part of the windscreen or should this be avoided due to close proximity to sensors etc?

22 hours ago, 50p said:

is it 'safe' to attach a dash cam on the 'spotty' part of the windscreen or should this be avoided due to close proximity to sensors etc?

You can glue it, but vacuum clamp won't stay stuck for long.

• Thanks 1

Hi David (50p).  I affixed a Nextbase cam by the rubber suction to the dimple area, making sure the area was very clean. Didn’t stick too long before it fell. So I used silicon glue and that stick.. er.. like glue.   I changed the cam to a newer Nextbase cam and that has stuck just using the rubber suction…. Just waiting for the day it will fall. 

• Thanks 1

My front cam fell off after 14 months.  As it was dealer supplied I got them to replace the sticker.  Fingers crossed.

Incidentally I installed my rear cam low down on the opposite side of the wiper arm.  When I took the car in to have it wired in properly they fitted it top left.  Apart from bodging the wiring as well.  Next time I will do it myself.

• Thanks 1

thanks for all your answers. I have now fitted a dash cam using power from the centre armrest, rather than the fusebox. This way it could be classed as NOT hard wired! 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Blackvue camera under the rearview mirror.   Why does anyone need a screen on a dash cam?  Look where you are going. Its the same view as the camera.  The only time you need to see what the camera is recording is if you are involved in an accident.  Then remove the sim card and download onto your PC or tablet.  Or connect your smart phone to the Blackvue by wifi.   A cheaper option is an Amacam that has a tiny screen if you think you need one.  That also has wifi. 

• Like 1

Jon, possibly the time you need a dash am screen is if you want or need to take a photograph. For sure a smartphone will take a photo, but say you not taken with you and there is a need to photograph something, say the aftermath of an accident, you got a camera with the dash am and a screen to know what you focusing on.  

You please yourself.  I am fed up having to argue with you

I don’t see it as arguing Jon, but considering other points of view.

if you notice I gave you a “like” on this same subject earlier today, but there was a reason I wanted to express for having a screen on a Dashcam.

If people on a forum can’t have differing points of view then it’s hardly a forum.

For anyone fed up of Nextbase,  and the mounting (I have one in the rear), try Viofio, superior capacitor type, very very slim, in fact hardly noticable, and brilliant 3M adhesive pad.

Check out the Dashcam forums,  you soon spot why Nextbase aren't popular. 

I have both, Viofio wipes the floor with my more expensive Nextbase.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/23/2021 at 11:28 AM, PM92 said:

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and new to owning a Toyota too. I have a Corolla Hybrid Saloon Luna Sport version since September and I absolutely love it. I'm finally getting around to getting a dashcam sorted. I've bought a Nextbase 522GW with rear window camera and a hardwire kit. I'm just wondering how any of you who did your own install of front and rear cameras got around the problem of the front and rear curtain airbags? I'm generally handy at doing stuff like this and fitted cameras on my previous car but the airbags on the Corolla make me a bit nervous about getting this done myself. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. 

Wondering that also.  Need to fit front and rear cams myself and I'm concerned about cabling interfering with the airbags

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links