Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Aygo Owner

Spring100

After 15 happy years driving my old Ford, yesterday I became the proud owner of a new Toyota Aygo. I was nervous as you can imagine after so long with my old car but wow my first impressions of the Aygo are very good, its a beautiful car and drives lovely. So far I haven't stalled either! Something I was worried about lol.  I will keep popping by this forum as Ive found it useful to read through...

Hello Emma - welcome to Toyota Owners Club. What are you going to name your Aygo? Pics?

Welcome, I've got the MMT auto version of the Aygo so I don't need to worry about stalling lol. Just picked up my new 2020 plate Aygo last week, how are you finding it?

• 3 months later...

We purchased Aygo x play 2020 last May and we’re so happy about it. I just have question. Since it’s a manual transmission, does any of you here experienced a sudden smell of clutch when trying to do a reverse? Same with first gear? We asked the mechanic on its first 1000km check up and he said it is normal with this kind of car because the engine is small. Is this true?

It’s our first brand new car. 

No worries whatsoever.

Such is the engine design characteristics I was initially surprised how high a level of revs I needed in first & reverse but soon overcame that issue only to find the clutch can smell if your bite point is not correct.

My only other note on transmission is there is no guard or detent on Reverse gear.

Tel

IMO, your car should not smell anything. It is not 'normal'.

The fact that the engine is small only means that it does not have much torque. You need to give gas to set the car in motion. You cannot do slow maneuvers using only the clutch, which is possible on a diesel engine. The difficulty is to adjust in order to give just enough gas, not more than the car actually needs, which would result in burning the clutch. The first gear and reverse can feel odd at first but you well get used to the Aygo.

Personally, I tend to think that the pedals offer little feedback. I release the clutch very gently, and when I feel the car starts to move, I accelerate very gently.