Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

EGR valve

Patrick1234

I have read many egr valve replacement forums and i have read that people are still having problems worth replacement egr valves.. I have got a a P0400 code and i have mange to clear it and drive her like a maniac.. It hasnt shown up since.. So the plan is to clean it out next time if the same code comes up.. If it comes up after the clean i was thinking about getting an egr delete.. Just wondering has anyone got this done?? Has the code came up since and how much was the egr delete?? 2009 Toyota auris d4d 2l... Thanks.

6 minutes ago, MagicBoy said:

Are you using supermarket fuel?

No.. Using reliable source.. 

Hi, if you are using the car for short journeys mostly, you get problems with egr, it is same for any car with egr including petrol or hybrids. I just cleaned today my one, and for 140k miles looks super clean, even I was able to see through the cooler, something that for other Prius auris hybrids are completely blocked, solid. I do motorway journeys every day and seems that helped a lot, plus very occasionally use supermarket fuel, mostly Tesco which is fine actually. Sainsbury’s and Morrison’s are ones to avoid. Cat cleaners, injector cleaners and complete fuel system additives are also a good idea. I use stp and wynns on regular basis.  . 
Regards

14 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, if you are using the car for short journeys mostly, you get problems with egr, it is same for any car with egr including petrol or hybrids. I just cleaned today my one, and for 140k miles looks super clean, even I was able to see through the cooler, something that for other Prius auris hybrids are completely blocked, solid. I do motorway journeys every day and seems that helped a lot, plus very occasionally use supermarket fuel, mostly Tesco which is fine actually. Sainsbury’s and Morrison’s are ones to avoid. Cat cleaners, injector cleaners and complete fuel system additives are also a good idea. I use stp and wynns on regular basis.  . imageproxy.php?img=&key=567b4e06530f0081imageproxy.php?img=&key=567b4e06530f0081
Regards

Hello Tony.. Im in university at the minute and live on campus.. I only use her for getting home on the weekends which is 60 mile home and over half of them miles are motorway miles.. I do drive short ones here and there but i don't think that would make much difference especially after the long runs and also before. The previous owner said they done short miles in it and so once i heard that news i got a carbon clean.. The carbon clean doesn't clean the EGR but i though that it would help her in the long run.. Thanks for the advice on additives. I might look into that.. The car itself isnt down on power but the carbon clean did help the throttle response and the engine oil stayed clean for longer once serviced.. However i have a few mates that have other car brands such as vw and they said that as soon as they git their car they got a egr delete.. I think personally that egr delete is the way to go.. Although may be legal.. Saves hundreds of pounds... Just wondering is there anyone out there that got it done on an auris... Apparently the ecu is hard to remap??

Egr delete might help, I don’t really know about that, also your car is diesel and they are some differences between mine and yours. If anyone else can help. And you know, you don’t have to drive like maniac, this would not help at all, but might put you in dangerous situations. The egr system needs long run so engine can get hot enough and burn most of the deposits, driving fast and furious style it is not helping. 
Regards 

5 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Egr delete might help, I don’t really know about that, also your car is diesel and they are some differences between mine and yours. If anyone else can help. And you know, you don’t have to drive like maniac, this would not help at all, but might put you in dangerous situations. The egr system needs long run so engine can get hot enough and burn most of the deposits, driving fast and furious style it is not helping.

Yeah get where ur coming from.. Ill rephrase.. I was using more of the rev counter when changing gears.. I usually don't go past 2300 rpm but pushed it up to 3300ish just to build enough pressure to push all the crap out.. It must off worked temporally for the engine light didn't come back on as off yet touch wood.. I might just open the egr this weekend and see what it is like.. I also need to check the sensors and wiring.. Thanks..

That’s ok, before you open the egr get some sprays like this one, Holts EGR & Carb Cleaner 500ml 3pk https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00P6JCTAE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ijvAEbJ170KE5, I used two of these today and they cleaned very well, it is like oven cleaner but in pressure can. 👍

Ok thanks very much tony 

6 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

That’s ok, before you open the egr get some sprays like this one, Holts EGR & Carb Cleaner 500ml 3pk https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00P6JCTAE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ijvAEbJ170KE5, I used two of these today and they cleaned very well, it is like oven cleaner but in pressure can. 👍

• Like 1

A couple of newbie questions, I'm afraid:

1. Does the Atkinson cycle engine in the hybrid system have an EGR system? I hope it isn't required... obviously another thing to go wrong and maintain.

2. What's wrong with Morrisons fuel? It all has to comply with strict standards which are surely more than adequate? Do they manage to circumvent compliance somehow? I've always used it with no problems and I'm getting 50mpg+ with my Auris Hybrid Estate, so I'm very happy about that!

1 hour ago, Tom.Kitchingman said:

A couple of newbie questions, I'm afraid:

1. Does the Atkinson cycle engine in the hybrid system have an EGR system? I hope it isn't required... obviously another thing to go wrong and maintain.

2. What's wrong with Morrisons fuel? It all has to comply with strict standards which are surely more than adequate? Do they manage to circumvent compliance somehow? I've always used it with no problems and I'm getting 50mpg+ with my Auris Hybrid Estate, so I'm very happy about that!

1) I thought al engines had EGR systems, and the Prius/Auris cars does have an EGR.

2) a friend used to deliver fuel by tanker, he said one stop could be your high street petrol station, the next could be a supermarket, ie the same stuff.

Just watched a YouTube video, a mechanic was spraying quality EGR cleaning fluid into the system simply removing a air pipe and short sprays whilst engine running. Could this be done as a preventive maintenance job? Say every 10k miles, which on a Toyota Hybrid would equate to approx every 5k of engine running (assuming 50% running on Battery.

• Like 1

Hi, 

for the fuel I personally don’t like Morrison’s and Sainsbury's because every time I feel up there I get noticeably poor performance and shorter range., I know a garage that sell ultra cheap petrol but they do put some additives in for sure because every time I visit this place car simply fly. 

For the Toyota hybrids EGR:  those are infamous and very important job to do especially in higher mileage cars! Not properly cleaned on time could lead to blown head gasket, broken clutch/damper and various more unexpected problems! 
I am surprised that in this forum there is not much info about it and how not many hybrids owners are aware. I can only highly recommend to you to visit priuschat us forum and read as much as you can about the egr , egr cooler , cooler pipe, and intake manifold and throttle body cleaning. All these are most important maintenance that is not in Toyota book officially as far as I know but my recent visit to Toyota garage last week was exactly same recommendation confirmed by them. It is not  easy to take parts out, due to the limited space in engine bay, and requires more time. This job is best done by yourself but if unable get some people who have done it many times and not newbies.

I am on my day 3 doing this job, first day 5 hrs taking out all the parts I mentioned, second day another 6 hrs cleaning properly, using even jet wash to get the cooler unblocked plus oven cleaners plus the best spray for the job egr and carburettor cleaner by holts, and more products. Intake manifold has small port in the larger intake holes, those are crucial to clean and all the oil accumulated there. Once intake is out you need to take of PCV valve located on the cylinder block behind the intake, undo , clean or if your car over 100k miles just replace. They usually don’t go wrong as much as people says but better safe. Here is the guy great videos: 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

plus oven cleaners

I bought a secondhand EGR cooler (from a scrapyard) to have to hand for when I need to do this job, as it's such a difficult part to clean without plenty of time.  It was off quite a low mileage car I was told (45000m), so was reasonably clean, and you could see light through the matrix when you shone a torch through it, no problem.

A wine bottle cork (I has several sizes to choose from) was used to plug up one end of the cooler and I put a dishwasher powder/water mix into the other opening, after I had found somewhere safe to stand it upright for a few hours.  Obviously, the hotter the dishwasher powder gets, the quicker the cooler gets cleaned, but caution is required if you use heat to speed things along - the dishwasher powder is quite strong, so gloves and eye protection are needed!

I put hot air from a hot air gun up the coolant pipes to warm it up from the inside, initially. 

I was quite pleased with the results after a couple of hours.  It's mostly shiny inside now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gerg said:

I bought a secondhand EGR cooler (from a scrapyard) to have to hand for when I need to do this job, as it's such a difficult part to clean without plenty of time.  It was off quite a low mileage car I was told (45000m), so was reasonably clean, and you could see light through the matrix when you shone a torch through it, no problem.

A wine bottle cork (I has several sizes to choose from) was used to plug up one end of the cooler and I put a dishwasher powder/water mix into the other opening, after I had found somewhere safe to stand it upright for a few hours.  Obviously, the hotter the dishwasher powder gets, the quicker the cooler gets cleaned, but caution is required if you use heat to speed things along - the dishwasher powder is quite strong, so gloves and eye protection are needed!

I put hot air from a hot air gun up the coolant pipes to warm it up from the inside, initially. 

I was quite pleased with the results after a couple of hours.  It's mostly shiny inside now.

That’s a good idea, I may buy as well another one and get it cleaned and ready for installation, than get the original one cleaned and ready for next time, and swapping between our two cars. Manifold was blocked too, and also the ports where injectors are fitted, full of oil and soot. I did cleaned the pcv too, it was changed two years ago, actually the original one was ok. Many people across the pond are saying oil catch can but there are quite few that said that it doesn’t help that much, as oil still finds its way into combustion. 
Regards 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links