Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catalytic converter?

geordiejohn50

Hello I traded my Auris hybrid  in for an Aygo because I was worried about the cat converter getting stolen,I find the the Aygo gear changing very jerky so I am trading my Aygo in on Monday for a Yaris auto hybrid,does anyone know if a Yaris is less likely to get the cat converter stolen please? 

Thank you. 

All cars have cats and therefore game on for stealing. However, comparing Yaris Hybrid to Auris Hybrid, I think the the figures suggest that a Yaris Hybrid is a lot less likely to be targeted then an Auris Hybrid. Probably the cat on the Yaris is more inaccessible then the Auris.                    

Enjoy your Yaris

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, geordiejohn50 said:

Hello I traded my Auris hybrid  in for an Aygo because I was worried about the cat converter getting stolen,I find the the Aygo gear changing very jerky so I am trading my Aygo in on Monday for a Yaris auto hybrid,does anyone know if a Yaris is less likely to get the cat converter stolen please? 

Thank you. 

Hi John, I didn’t see many reports of the cat on the Yaris Hybrid being stolen, but any car with a cat can be targeted. You have made a good choice in the Yaris Hybrid. Easy and quiet and comfortable to drive, transmission is smooth, and driven with a reasonably light foot are economic to run. Although reaching the advertised Toyota MPG is almost impossible. Enjoy your nice wee Yaris.

The cat on the yaris hybrid is tucked up high, the aygo uses the MMT, the hybrid yaris uses the eCvt the same system as the auris/prius

The cat on my Auris hybrid disappeared last night. 68 plate with 5K on the clock! Thought of changing to the Corolla but seems the cat is in the same place so can still easily be cut off.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

The cat on the yaris hybrid is tucked up high, the aygo uses the MMT, the hybrid yaris uses the eCvt the same system as the auris/prius

Thanks flash22, that’s interesting.

Do you know exactly where “tucked up high” is ?
I read somewhere that Honda were redesigning some of their cars to place the cat much nearer the engine, within the compartment in an attempt to reduce thefts.

Here's a Yaris HSD catalyst (manicat) off eBay. The cylinder head connects to the left hand side (so this part of the assembly sits highest when fitted), the rest of the exhaust attaches to the right hand side (the side that is the lowest side), via the two spring-loaded bolts in the picture. 

On an Auris and Prius, the actual catalyst (with the white handwritten label on it in this picture) is an integral part of the next exhaust section. That section is on the other side of the spring-loaded joint, so it can be unbolted from the manifold via the two bolts shown, which makes removal too easy by far.

So on the Yaris, to steal the catalyst you are going to have to unbolt this whole component, unless you go crazy with a cordless saw or angle grinder, and then you would need good access from above through the bonnet.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.4124523816f0dcfc4daacf118a53ca93.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1