Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Rav4 2004 - Rear Sway Bar Upside Down!

peevee

My friend's Rav4 Mk2 has just failed its MOT due to rear break hose pipes rubbing against the sway bar. The garage has informed him the bar is upside down and that they will need to drop the axle to remedy the situation. He has had the car for some 14 years and in his opinion has never noticed any dodgy handling characteristics. To me this all sounds a bit 'fantastical' having looked at a picture of the sway bar for this model I can't see how it can be installed upside down.

Grateful for any comments etc.

Just check that the sway bar (anti roll bar) is fitted correctly - the bar should bend downwards at the ends ie the attachment point for the drop links should be lower than the centreline of the bar. You say that the brake pipe is rubbing the bar - do you possibly mean brake hose? 

Thanks for your reply. We've checked the bar and as you say, it does bend downwards and the drop links are lower than centre line.This is after the garage apparently corrected the 'upside down' installation! My friend is now £600 lighter for the privilege (this does include new brake hoses and the unblocking of the washer jets!). Hey ho.. he's happy he's now got the MOT cert. I know I wouldn't be as I'd like to know more..

your mate has been shafted there is no way you can fit that upside down and the axle? or subframe does not need dropped to remove a rear (or front) swaybar on this car ( i had both mine out today changing anti roll bar bushes 12 mm socket for the bush clamps plus a 16mm or whatever size your drop link nut is.

£600?! Even if they did inner/outer brake hoses as well and flushed the system, that's obscene, and that's ignoring the bizarre 'upside down' claim.