Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problems with aygo x-press

Amy_Louise

Hi, new to the forum and was looking for some advice. I bought a 68 plate aygo x press in Aug-19 from my local toyota dealer. Within 2 months of purchase i had to take it back for repair as i was having intermittent issues with starting the car, in that the engine would turn for quite some time before struggling to start. They kept it overnight and replaced the starter motor before giving it back. 

This didnt fix the issue and by Feb-20 i took it back in. They again kept it overnight as they couldnt find what was wrong. They called me up to tell me that the car had failed to start and that they had replaced the starter motor (again), saying that something had "cracked" inside of it (believe they said distributor cap but not 100% sure). I found this confusing as the starter they took out as it was damaged was the one they put in in October. 

The issue is still not fixed and im now noticing a "sputtering" noise intermittently alongside the long crank time. Its booked it again next week but im becoming very frustrated as this will be the third time in 5 months ive had to take a car less than 18 months old in for repair.  

Not sure where i stand with a refund / replacement option as its still under warranty, or what to do if it isnt fixed properly this time.

Any help / advise would be appreciated, thanks. (Sorry for the very long post)

If Frostyballs sees this thread I sure he can hel with the legalities of you purchase and a fault developing. He’s on the ball with such things. 

As regards your legal rights, have a look at 'the first six months' section of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3qzzBRDnARIsAECmryoMfctgUJvL5-FFghDeVE5Oq79dzr7CJx7_gN4XrGJ1J1yK426H9OcaAlzIEALw_wcB   

Bear in mind that you only have a short time remaining as regards a refund, etc under the Act.

Your contract is with the dealer you purchased the car from, rather than Toyota.

Aside from the above, contact Toyota Customer Relations and raise a case number with them - https://www.toyota.co.uk/contact-us/

From a technical point of view, if the engine turns over for some time before it eventually starts, replacing the starter motor would not be the first thing I would do.

It must surely be fuel supply, possible sensor issue not telling the ecu that an enriched fuel supply is needed for a cold start, or an ignition problem.  The dealer should be checking these areas first , I would have thought.

As it is such a new car, the problem could be down to just one component not working properly and possibly has never worked completely correctly from new...just a rogue part, due a to manufacturing fault. It does happen, and they should be able to diagnose it properly.

Does it start easily when warm?

• Like 1

Thank you both for your reply 🙂

@Frostyballs I purchased the vehicle on 27-08-19, so from what you've said I think I'm just outside the 6 months of purchase, even though I reported the fault within 2 months, I might then be out of luck with the consumer rights act for a refund, although this was going to be the last case scenario. I will enquire down the route of a replacement vehicle if they cannot fix mine under warranty.

@johnan I was surprised that they immediately replaced the entire starter motor twice. I've read a few posts where cars of the same make, model and year of manufacture have had exactly the same issue as I've described above, which would make me agree with what you said re a manufacturing fault. Yes it starts fine when the engine has recently been on. It starts fine on a morning too when its been stood overnight, it only seems to happen when its been stood on my work's carpark during the day (as crazy as that might seem). I will bring up the points you've mentioned and see what they say. 

Thank you both again for your advice 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have a strong 5G field where you work?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links