Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

rav 4.2 fuel filler neck

+robster+

ok this must be a common problem

the wifey drives a 2005 rav 4.2 d4d 1cdftv 

After "having kittens" thinking my rear diff was graunching into oblivion it turned out that the fuel filler plastic cover was damp and distorted causing a rotational scuffing noise  on the wobble of the tyre that sounded like metal to metal .

Anyway removed that and the metal pipe was red rotten, went to clean it up and it started falling in on itself so now need to get a new neck and filter to go with it.

problem is i might be unlucky but on the usual sites i can only find mk3 d4d necks ! Are the the same pipe as the mk2?? i see petrol ones but they look different

someone steer me in right direction ta

Could have a look at the following topics:

• Thanks 1

these seem to all be related to 4.3 and not my 4.2 model so have sent an enquiry to yam6 to see if its same one 

ta

ok it does not fit.

I asked supplier and bought it but nope its not even close its miles too big and wrong shape completely

Suppose i will need to get one from toyota if available as there seem to be none floating about on the internet for my vintage.

Was thinking of a bodge as others have done with hose or similar but id rather replace completely to save any more debris finding its way into tank and also not a lot of wheel clearance 

So need to return this and pay return postage lol waste of time ! 

thanks anyway

ebay.png

fuel pipe.jpg

fuel pipe1.jpg

kingo ? price and availability? 

If its any help, part number  77201-42120

Edit. Looks to be around the £140-170

Edit 2. The one you have is for a mk3 11/2005 - 2012

• Like 1

Parts-King has been known as Kingo for a number of years. Works for a Toyota dealer, Lindop, and they are a club sponsor.

See https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/profile/34014-parts-king/

Send him a private message detailing your car (reg.no as a minimum) and what you're looking for, and he will come back to you with a price

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

If its any help, part number  77201-42120

Edit. Looks to be around the £140-170

Edit 2. The one you have is for a mk3 11/2005 - 2012

Thanks with that part number i have ordered one from germany for £103 to my door, just hope international shipping isnt majorly affected at the moment and i get it in the next week or 2

i have plastidip i can coat the new pipe with but the cars never going to last another 15 years anyway lol

Just to conclude this thread on an older model that probably wont see much demand for this type of repair by folk in the future. but may help someone 

Got that aftermarket filler neck which was the correct type with the part number supplied by flash22 , fitted perfect and is solid.

I thought i was gonna have major bolt snapping issues but it went better than i expected.

Only the top bolt that goes through a captive nut on a bracket welded to chassis would not budge due to the exposed threads at the back becoming well deformed with rust, so just drilled and speed screwed that, the other 2 bolts into chassis came free with a couple of hammer shocks to the socket, the main jubilee clip had to be "corn beef tin mullered" with some vise grips but the small breather spring clip was no bother.

just try minimise rust falling into tank on removal, i replaced the fuel filter as a precaution 

The fill tube piece at filler fuel flap door just popped out and in to the rubber gaiter piece no problems. 

i gave a few coatings of plastidip after these pics were taken as i had it spare and not bothering to fit the plastic trim that lets road debris accumulate  ,

thumbnail_IMG_20200328_132638.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20200328_132858.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20200328_132911.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20200328_132933.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Our cars seem to be on a similar path work wise, 77201-42100 was the original p/n for anyone else who ends up wondering, 42120 is the revised version with a rubber coating on it I believe, anyway as it's usually the breather pipe that goes first, it's generally still safe to drive unless you neck the tank. I grabbed my pipe from a Polish seller on eBay, henpol_autooparts for the grand total of £72 delivered, took 5 working days and saved £100+.

At this stage i've all but given up on trying to deal with the local dealer parts desk, since Toyota deemed it to be a hidden function, it's just embarrassing for everyone involved, they may as well ring a bell and shout 'Shame!' when you ask to order parts as the sacrificial bloke in overalls shuffles towards you with his bit of paper and non working pen. Oh that and it's generally cheaper to order direct from Japan on anything expensive or Germany for consumables/service items.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links