Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parking brake light stuck on, cruise no longer works

Bobjen07

I own a 95 Celica st, 1.8. 5 speed manual.

the other day I noticed that my parking brake light started staying on... in conjunction with this at the same time the cruise control stopped working.

parking brake works fine, nice and tight and no problems releasing. 

Cruise light comes on, but neither the set or the accelerate function makes the cruise initiate. 

Has anyone else had this issue and how did you fix it?

Thank you,

Bob

Bobjen, I would probably start with the brake switch/Clutch switch area, there is a shim that is attached to the bottom of your clutch pedal. That green shim allows for the switch side of the pedal to be pressed in correctly, it is known to break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_DCcYQg97E

Check the brake fluid level first. After that, check the parking brake switch. I viewed a video that confirmed the fluid level is linked to the parking brake (E-brake) light - 

This could stop the cruise control function, so after any fix of the parking brake light, check the cruise control works. The cruise control is always disabled for safety reasons, when something is wrong with the brakes or emissions.

the handbrake switch wear out or get gunged up with dust and fluff over the years it a very basic type of switch

As above the light comes on as a low fluid level warning too

Check your brake fluid. Fun fact, the parking brake light doubles as a low brake fluid warning! Don't ask me how I found that one out 🙄

EDIT: I just noticed flash22 also suggested the same thing above. Right on man.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sonac said:

Check your brake fluid. Fun fact, the parking brake light doubles as a low brake fluid warning! Don't ask me how I found that one out 🙄

EDIT: I just noticed flash22 also suggested the same thing above. Right on man.

Actually there now has been three mentions of the brake fluid level. The first cars that I owned, the brake fluid level monitor was in the fluid reservoir cap. There are cables and plug in the cap. The parking brake light has always served has the fluid level warning light!

• 2 weeks later...

A big thank you to everyone who suggested the brake fluid. That’s exactly what it was and now the light is gone and the cruise control works again 

Fun fact; a few months ago I went to jump start  the Battery and the master cylinder cap Was missing. I don’t know how or why but I went to get another one from the junkyard and replaced it.  But never thought to top off the fluid level .

Then when I finally did replace the Battery I found the old one underneath. 

How in the world right? 

Anyways a big thank you to everyone who chipped in and just wanted to let you know that it was in fact the brake fluid level