Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can't see through Auris brake fluid reservoir, any ideas?

Jason 2020

Soz, I know I'm abit thick, but I can't see through reservoir, my old diesel golf was the same, couldn't see through but when top was taking off, it was full.

When I take the top off the Auris it's confusing me because I can just see fluid at the bottom but when you look in it's like a toilet roll shaped funnel, you can't see all around inside the reservoir, I've tried shining 3 different torches, still can't see min and Max properly.

IMG_20200316_222757712.jpg

Hi Jason

I agree it can be difficult to visually see the fluid, even when the top is off. I give the reservoir a gentle shake (side to side) and you can usually see the fluid moving and then settling. If the fluid appears low it could be related to the wear on the brake pads being reduced. 

• Thanks 1

When was the brake fluid last changed? Maybe it is so contaminated/dirty that the inside of the reservoir is coated with "muck"?

My Yaris has, what looks to be, a very similar reservoir which is located in the darkness under the scuttle. Perfectly easy to see through the clean plastic at the clean fluid even in that location, in daylight.

• Thanks 1

Get your phone, turn the torch on, put it to the side, you should be able to see the level of the oil.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, furtula said:

Get your phone, turn the torch on, put it to the side, you should be able to see the level of the oil.

^^^^ this, shine it from top at an angle and shake the brake reservoir, you'll see the fluid move and you'll be able to work out where the level is. no need to take cap off.

• Thanks 1

Soz guys I replied late, been so busy off line lol, cheers for replying