Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil what type?

meloned

Hi folks changed my oil and filter last week with 0/20 fully synthetic. Problem is because it’s so thin there is a slight rattle on first start about half a second, didn’t before as I think previous owner used thicker oil ? I’m thinking of using 5/30 would you? Cheers Toyota Yaris 1.33vvti 2009 

0w20 is correct for the 1NR-FE (1.33), if its over 100k miles it has been run on thicker oil to quieten it down

If its the earlier 2NZ-FE or 2SZ-FE it should be 5w30 A5

edit. 09 is one of those change over years

Thanks it’s the 1NR-FE engine with 109000 on the clock so I’ll try 5/30 fully synthetic soon ,will let you know if it cures it .

14 hours ago, flash22 said:

0w20 is correct for the 1NR-FE (1.33), if its over 100k miles it has been run on thicker oil to quieten it down

If its the earlier 2NZ-FE or 2SZ-FE it should be 5w30 A5

edit. 09 is one of those change over years

Thanks it’s the 1NR-FE engine with 109000 on the clock so I’ll try 5/30 fully synthetic soon ,will let you know if it cures it .

Just bought four litres of 0w-20 from my local motor factors. Sheesh, what's in it, unicorn urine? Over four quid a litre. Used the oil company's recommended 5W-30 last year, but that's now changed to 0W-20 the same as Toyota. I did notice it got dirtier on the 0W-30.

1 hour ago, bathtub tom said:

Just bought four litres of 0w-20 from my local motor factors. Sheesh, what's in it, unicorn urine? Over four quid a litre. Used the oil company's recommended 5W-30 last year, but that's now changed to 0W-20 the same as Toyota. I did notice it got dirtier on the 0W-30.

Four quid a litre? Dirt cheap.

See Castrol Edge prices and weep.

Some oils are £30 a litre, Castrol usually put out deals on Edge @£30 for 4 litres

now 0w16 Toyotas own spec is a fortune retails £90 for 4 litres (usually £40-60) iirc it's Mobil oil

4 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Sorry, that should have been ten quid a litre and the final 0W-30 should be 5W-30. I'm getting old.

I recently bought 5 litres of Toyota 0w20 oil from eBay for £38 + Free delivery. Quite a reasonable price. 

2 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Sorry, that should have been ten quid a litre and the final 0W-30 should be 5W-30. I'm getting old.

We are all getting old..

I use  Petronas Syntium 7000 SAE 0W20 4 Ltr Fully Synthetic Engine Oil I always paid under £20 per 4 litres but the collapse if the sterling USD exchange rate will raise prices..  (2012Jazz)

Had a similar problem on startup,Rattle and oil light stayed on for second or so. Took a guess that an oilway may be blocked as the car had done 90k mls. Did an engine flush, this cured the problem. I've always used Mobil 5/30 Super 3000, its not a recomendation, just what I use. Its £35.50 for 5lts at Halfords.

1 hour ago, scannerman said:

Had a similar problem on startup,Rattle and oil light stayed on for second or so. Took a guess that an oilway may be blocked as the car had done 90k mls. Did an engine flush, this cured the problem. I've always used Mobil 5/30 Super 3000, its not a recomendation, just what I use. Its £35.50 for 5lts at Halfords.

Hi I’ve changed the oil and filter today , used total quartz 9000 5/30 I’ll let you know if this resolves the problem tomorrow fingers crossed 🤞 

19 hours ago, Madasafish said:

We are all getting old..

I resemble that remark!

I usually buy, as already mentioned, Toyota 0W20 from eBay. Usually around £35 for 5 litre. It does vary a little in price though.

On 3/20/2020 at 12:27 PM, flash22 said:

Some oils are £30 a litre, Castrol usually put out deals on Edge @£30 for 4 litres

now 0w16 Toyotas own spec is a fortune retails £90 for 4 litres (usually £40-60) iirc it's Mobil oil

Costco sell Castrol Edge and Mobil 1 for approx. £30 each all year round.👍

Amazon currently have 0W-16 for:

Motul £47.72 4 litres

Carlube Triple R £47.99  5 litres

and 0W-20 for:

Petronas Syntium 7000. £25  5 litres

Gulf Ultrasyth X  £34.40  4 litres

Toyota £44.99. 5 litres

• Like 1

Not saying it will be the cheapest, but I've got a Halfords trade card. My local parts wholesaler gives me trade as well. Don't ask, don't get.

Halfords have 2 litres of their own brand 0W-20 for £18, or 1 litre of Mobil 1 for £25.

0W-16 doesn't seem to be listed onsite.

With Toyota Owners Club Premium membership, one gets 15% off the above prices.

Sorry Mike, but is there any requirement for all that red text? It's very distracting.

I own my 2010 1NR-FE 1.33 Yaris from new.

In the manual it said that 0w20 is what recommend. As it was always serviced by Mr T main dealer and they always use the cheaper Toyota 5w30.

The car have now over 120k and it burns about a litre every 5k which I believe is about normal for a car doing a 50 miles commute.

I asked around other dealers and yes 5w30 is what they prescribed. Asking why, just to confuse things I am told that in northern Europe Mr T use both grades in the 1NR-FE.

I will continue using what the dealer see fit as I never had anything going wrong with the Engine.

17 minutes ago, Shavestick said:

Asking why, just to confuse things I am told that in northern Europe Mr T use both grades in the 1NR-FE.

Not quite. The standard Toyota recommendation is 0W-20 - 5W-30 may be used but should be replaced at the next service by 0W-20.

Hi, a litre every 5k miles it’s a bit too much imo, but if nothing wrong with the engine and if it runs alright there is nothing to worry. When engine burns oil the different oil grades might not reduce oil consumption therefore you no need to worry using 0w20 if you decide to. 

9 hours ago, Shavestick said:

I own my 2010 1NR-FE 1.33 Yaris from new.

In the manual it said that 0w20 is what recommend. As it was always serviced by Mr T main dealer and they always use the cheaper Toyota 5w30.

I think a bit differently to you Shavestick.

Toyota make the engine, their first choice for that engine is 0w20, so that is the oil I want. So when I book a service with Mr T I stipulate 0w20, when I present the car for service I remind them I requested 0w20.

• Like 2

Oil weights change by country depending on the ambient temperature range (SAE specs) - an older/ higher mileage engine may need a thicker oil to allow for big tolerances of worn components

unfortunately the service information is paid for service on toyota-tech.eu

This is my opinion only and I know others may disagree, but I dont think the oil spec is that critical as long as its near, Flash is correct about Ambient Temp and age. What I do think is Important is the quality and frequency of change.

• Like 2

I have always used a good quality oil in my cars, look after the engine and it will outlast the rest of the car