Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corroded auris brake pipes - do they look like they need replacing??

ziauris

Hi all,

My Auris 2007 has had an inspection and one of the things that came out of it was that both front brake pipes and one at the back needs replacing. The video of the affected areas is linked below. I'm thinking of taking it to my MOT guy end of next week so he can have a look at the pipes, but wanted to post here for views/as a reference for others. What do you guys think???

The rear one looks quite iffy, video moved through too quick to see front properly, can you not jack car up and take a view yourself? Best play safe though and replace anyway as the man sounds sensible 

Cant really tell as he's moving the camera around so fast, but it looks like just the end of the pipe needs replacing. Maybe just put a new fitting onto it.

I once had a clutch line corrode from the slave cylinder, maybe some 10 centimeters up, that thing looked way worse, but held up fine until it was replaced.

Maybe just ask if you can replace the ends, as those look to be corroded, not the rest.

The front and rear pipes do appear to be corroded enough to warrant replacement. Most of the pipes are covered by a plastic coating so inspection only reveals the small section that joins to the brake hoses. 

The preferred option is to replace the complete brake pipes. Replacing sections is not a good solution. The less joints the better to minimise potential leak areas and reduce potential stress points under heavy braking. There is a tool to flare a brake pipe whilst it is on the car but it is messy and often hard to get a good seal because the original brake pipes are made of steel rather than new pipes which are made of copper or nickel. 

A garage labour charge will not be too expensive for complete brake pipes plus the cost of a roll of brake pipe is relatively inexpensive plus when they are fitted they will last as long as the car is on the road. 

1. Thanks guys, I have axle stands but i'm too scared to get under car as fear a crush. I've got it booked in with my MOT this week so will get him to take a look, I think that'll be safer for me.