Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dash cam

Mick carney

I have 2020 aygo I asked at Halfords to have dash cam hard wired in and they said as  fuse box in this model is under bonnet  that's it not possible and I'd  have to use cigerratte lighter socket but don't like trailing wires is there way around this

My dealer has fitted dashcams to the last 3 cars I've bought from them.  They may charge more than Halfords, but at least they know the car.  Maybe worth asking?

2 hours ago, Mick carney said:

I have 2020 aygo I asked at halfords to have dash cam hard wired in and they said as  fuse box in this model is under bonnet  that's it not possible and I'd  have to use cigerratte lighter socket but don't like trailing wires is there way around this

I find this strange Mick, shouldn’t matter where the fuse box is in the car. Halfords hard wired Nexus front and rear cams recently in my 2019 Yaris Hybrid and no problems. However they were replacing two installations of their own brand which had failed shortly after installation. They had to abandon their own brand of dash cameras.

I have always used the lighter/12v socket to power my dash cams mainly as it is a very convenient and easily removed installation, and personally I would not be too keen on someone like a Halfrauds fitter messing about with my car, as they are not expert on any particular make. I could hard wire them myself but it is not really worth the bother.

It is simple enough to lead the wire across from the socket, hidden behind the panel under the steering wheel and then up behind the A pillar trim, across behind the front edge of the roof lining to the camera. Using wire ties as necessary to keep the wire from being loose, although the A pillar trim and roof lining hold the wire securely on their own.

• Like 4

what i have done in the past is to take a feed from the back of the power socket (lighter socket)

then fitted a 2nd power socket behind the dash board near an A pillar , mounted the camera

and routed the cable down the A pillar to the new socket.

very easy to do.

Halfords hard wired a dash cam for me in a 2015 Aygo  so not sure there is much (if any) difference but I maybe wrong

17 hours ago, johnan said:

I have always used the lighter/12v socket to power my dash cams mainly as it is a very convenient and easily removed installation, and personally I would not be too keen on someone like a Halfrauds fitter messing about with my car, as they are not expert on any particular make. I could hard wire them myself but it is not really worth the bother.

It is simple enough to lead the wire across from the socket, hidden behind the panel under the steering wheel and then up behind the A pillar trim, across behind the front edge of the roof lining to the camera. Using wire ties as necessary to keep the wire from being loose, although the A pillar trim and roof lining hold the wire securely on their own.

I second what you said about Halfords installing Dashcam, plus the OP gave another example why! I had a friend who had a Nextbase 312 Dashcam, hard wired wrongly into permanent power. I have the lower 212 version, but use the lighter socket, and remove mine when parked up. He never removed his. Basically the Dashcam failed, and the first he realised this is when I checked for footage of an incident, The memory card was corrupted, due to the continuous over writing and overheating. Another problem was he didn't know about the screen saver mode, where the screen powers down, and was stopped by the police. He was forced to relocate the camera close to the left of the rear view mirror, gluing the sucker mount on the shade section of the screen! If Halfords had done the installation properly, he would still have the dashcam. Plus they didn't advise him on setup and usage! My old 212 still works, and I format the memory card after use, after backing up the footage on to my large storage drives.

First generation Nextbase dashcams don't like being connected to permanent power supply, as this ruins the Battery. Other brands use capacitors which are not affected as much. I upgraded to Nextbase 222X with the rear facing camera, improved Battery and management, plus for me MP4 recording. MP4 can be copied to my phone to be edited and uploaded via OTG to my phone if necessary.  
I would buy the dashcam from Halfords if a good deal, but install it myself, or if I was not confident enough, get someone who is reliable. 

Thanks for suggesting different solutions I understand that up till 2019 fuse box was under dashboard that no I'll see the dealer to see what they say