Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic gear no P for parking

MeeMee

Hi, I’m just wondering I’ve bought a new car and how am I meant to leave the car when I’ve parked? On the gear there’s no P for park I’ve attached a photo for more information. Any help would be great. Thank you.imageproxy.php?img=&key=567b4e06530f0081imageproxy.php?img=&key=567b4e06530f0081

E2BC1723-0D0B-4E6F-BD36-5FD51C9CBA42.jpeg

What does the car handbook advise?

That is the MMT, handbrake on, put it in N like you would a manual car - Avoid leaving it in gear and turning the car off as it can confuse the gearbox (electronics)

The X-shift transmission isn't a true automatic, but a manual transmission with an automated clutch. 

Within the chapter titled 'Driving', the full owners manual states:

"1). With the shift lever in E or M, depress the brake pedal

2). Set the parking brake

3). Shift the shift lever to E, M or R."

Presume the above should be done with the engine off.

If facing uphill use E or M, and if facing downhill use R.

• Like 1

Toyota only supply an abbreviated owners manual with new cars. One can download the full owners manual either by inputting your VIN or by doing a generic search, from  https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

I am a little surprised that you bought this car without knowing what kind of gear box it had. Besides while doing the pre purchase test drive you should have discovered the head nodding gear change. And that would have raised many questions by itself. Now to answer your question, to park this car properly,

Come to a complete stop with your foot on the brake. Then put your gear lever on N or neutral. Pull up your hand brake. Take your foot off the brake. Stop engine by turning the key or pressing the stop knobb (in newer Aygos?). Remove key. Done.

• Like 1

My X play is an MMT, I leave her in E as standard for parking. I didn't know leaving them in gear and turning off confused the gear box. I park on the level but I like to leave it in gear in case the hand brake failed.

4 minutes ago, Wiz201 said:

My X play is an MMT, I leave her in E as standard for parking. I didn't know leaving them in gear and turning off confused the gear box. I park on the level but I like to leave it in gear in case the hand brake failed.

On 3/23/2020 at 2:09 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The X-shift transmission isn't a true automatic, but a manual transmission with an automated clutch. 

I posted a reply earlier this week which included an extract from the full owners manual as regards parking - see above quote.

• Like 1

Ah right, so stop in neutral, put handbrake on, turn off engine then move to E or M. That makes sense.

On 3/25/2020 at 11:48 PM, Wiz201 said:

Ah right, so stop in neutral, put handbrake on, turn off engine then move to E or M. That makes sense.

I do not know about the new model Aygo but the old model Aygo were supposed to be parked in N or neutral with hand brake engaged. Because with the old model key ignition system you can not turn off the car and then shift the gear to E or M, unless ofcourse  you turn the key to accessory position only and not all the way back. 

On 3/23/2020 at 2:09 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

5 minutes ago, rajivrattna said:

I do not know about the new model Aygo but the old model Aygo were supposed to be parked in N or neutral with hand brake engaged. Because with the old model key ignition system you can not turn off the car and then shift the gear to E or M, unless ofcourse  you turn the key to accessory position only and not all the way back. 

My earlier reply quoted an extract from the full owners manual for the second generation Aygo - ae above