Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Throttle body location

mark0

Lads I know where throttle body is on petrol it’s under air box but on d4d avensis don’t know location is it under egr valve or does it run between air hose going in to turbo  getting p0488 code 

Hi Mark, there seem to be quite a few d4d owners with this code like this thread for example - 

Cheers for the reply I will tackle this tomorrow it seems to be quiet common in avensis d4d it think the throttle body sits directly underneath egr valve on intake so hopefully this great piece of knowledge will help me diagnose and fix the problem I will keep you updated on this cheers for the reply 

Lads just a quick reply done this job Saturday took out the throttle body under inlet manifold where egr sits very inconvenient to get out but it’s gets dirty cleaned it out put back in cars seems to be alright for now engine light has gone out

• 2 years later...

hi @mark0 did you have to remove the EGR to access the throttle body? did you clean it in place or remove it to clean it? - any photos?

hi @mark0 did you have to remove the EGR to access the throttle body? did you clean it in place or remove it to clean it? - any photos?

Edit: sheesh, just took a look under the bonnet, to get that off looks like a major and intricate job  - wondering if it's worth it or too risky in all honesty.

• Like 1

On the diesel d4d it’s 4 bolts to remove egr I used a hoover to suck up the soot of off the 3 holes then scrap with cloth and screwdriver and carb cleaner all the soot from the 3 holes going in to the inlet then clean egr valve with carb cleaner as well till valve moves freely let dry and reassemble you can clean intake on car you don’t have to remove it

2 hours ago, mark0 said:

On the diesel d4d it’s 4 bolts to remove egr I used a hoover to suck up the soot of off the 3 holes then scrap with cloth and screwdriver and carb cleaner all the soot from the 3 holes going in to the inlet then clean egr valve with carb cleaner as well till valve moves freely let dry and reassemble you can clean intake on car you don’t have to remove it

here is what im going to do to mine tbh i think taking off the egr and cleaning it that way is only a bit of the job if the intake manifold is blocked sure will only clog up again .no mater how much you clean out with a hover  and scrape out without taking off the intake manifiold tbh its kina waste of time. this way is the best way and only way if you ask me 

28 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

here is what im going to do to mine tbh i think taking off the egr and cleaning it that way is only a bit of the job if the intake manifold is blocked sure will only clog up again .no mater how much you clean out with a hover  and scrape out without taking off the intake manifiold tbh its kina waste of time. this way is the best way and only way if you ask me 

yeah, it makes sense, my suspicion is my manifold is as filthy as that video. Slowish low RPM town driving i think really hinders the lifespan of these engines. I'm planning to do this manifold clean very soon and will share evidence, that said isn't the last part that is serviceable, the EGR cooler, also a culprit¿? - i've yet to see any amateur video of that being accessed and cleaned on an avensis - is it it behind and below the engine?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links