Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help with loose mud flap (missing a bolt/screw)

nle

Hi 👋, I'm new here, and not especially knowlegdable about cars.

I recently purchased a used 2014 Toyota Avensis station wagon (2.0 D-4D  124 HK) – my first car.

Anyhow, today when I got out of the car I noticed the "mud flap" (?) was poking out from the side, and looking closer one of the bolts was missing.

IMG_3320.thumb.jpg.094a5ddbdfdb41a2fc76eee3d7f35a1b.jpgIMG_3321.thumb.jpg.672361c9f840ec5622ffbb3e5bc7c6f4.jpg

How do I fix this? It seems like a too simple task that I need to bring it in for service.

Is it as simple as to put in a new bolt? If yes, what sort of bolt do I need (and do I need a nut, or does it hold in place by itself?)

I appreciate any input/advice!

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, nle said:

Hi 👋, I'm new here, and not especially knowlegdable about cars.

I recently purchased a used 2014 Toyota Avensis station wagon (2.0 D-4D  124 HK) – my first car.

Anyhow, today when I got out of the car I noticed the "mud flap" (?) was poking out from the side, and looking closer one of the bolts was missing.

IMG_3320.thumb.jpg.094a5ddbdfdb41a2fc76eee3d7f35a1b.jpgIMG_3321.thumb.jpg.672361c9f840ec5622ffbb3e5bc7c6f4.jpg

How do I fix this? It seems like a too simple task that I need to bring it in for service.

Is it as simple as to put in a new bolt? If yes, what sort of bolt do I need (and do I need a nut, or does it hold in place by itself?)

I appreciate any input/advice!

Thanks!

Jon unscrew the remaining little screw, and take both the mud flap and the remaining screw to your local motor parts shop or even your local hardware store and they should be able to supply your missing screw for a few pence, and replace mud flap.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Are you sure theres no nut on the other side/inside that will fall down if I screw out the other screw?

43 minutes ago, nle said:

Thanks.

Are you sure theres no nut on the other side/inside that will fall down if I screw out the other screw?

Not sure, but these are usually a self tightening screw. Like a self tapping screw, which is screwed into a hole and tightens on its own threads.

• Like 1

Ok, thanks! That seems the most plausable to me too. Appreciate the fast answers. 🙂

I'll give this thread a little while and see if someone know the exact type of screw and/or have more information before I unscrew the other one and go to a shop.

2 minutes ago, nle said:

Ok, thanks! That seems the most plausable to me too. Appreciate the fast answers. 🙂

I'll give this thread a little while and see if someone know the exact type of screw and/or have more information before I unscrew the other one and go to a shop.

Good idea Jon, I’m just going on past experiences with mudflaps. But when you think about it, it makes sense 👍

• Like 1

I would say: unscrew the same bolt from the other side of the car and see what it looks like.

• Like 1

Yes, I'm just afraid that if the screw is not self tightening and there is a nut on the inside that falls down, then I got two loose mud flaps. Because I don't think you can access that nut without removing further stuff.

I removed what I think is the same clip as you describe on an Auris.

Perhaps it is the same in an Avensis?

The screw itself, most likely screws into a plastic clip. That's how they normally fit. Plastic clip snaps into a hole in the body. As you screw the screw in, it expands the clip and holds it tight - if that makes sense. If you remove both screws, nothing in theory should fall down as the clips should stay in place (unless these are damaged) 

• Like 1

@Gerg  Good thought, but I'm pretty sure it's the same as the one thats there (I can check on the other side tomorrow), and that's a metal hex screw with a "lip" (not sure what it is called in english).

@Robert81 Yes, it should be something like that. I'll try to have a look tomorrow, unless someone is coming with any other info. 🙂

21 hours ago, nle said:

Good idea Jon, I’m just going on past experiences with mudflaps. But when you think about it, it makes sense 👍

• Like 1

Short of giving you a written and signed affidavit, Jon you will have to trust our replies 😝.

BTW would you have a middle name called “Thomas”😂👏🚘

• Like 1

So, I unscrewed the screw on the other side and it's !Removed! into the plastic. Ie. no nut. 🙂

This is the bolt. Why they don't have a rustproof screw there is a bit weird imho.

Measurments (ca.)
Length: 20 mm
Dia: 5 mm
Head dia: 15 mm

IMG_3349.thumb.jpg.3b5dd939cf5fc0bf3262776948aea636.jpgIMG_3348.thumb.jpg.2389c62bc6ecd643cdcae509702f624a.jpg

15 hours ago, nle said:

So, I unscrewed the screw on the other side and it's !Removed! into the plastic. Ie. no nut. 🙂

This is the bolt. Why they don't have a rustproof screw there is a bit weird imho.

Measurments (ca.)
Length: 20 mm
Dia: 5 mm
Head dia: 15 mm

IMG_3349.thumb.jpg.3b5dd939cf5fc0bf3262776948aea636.jpgIMG_3348.thumb.jpg.2389c62bc6ecd643cdcae509702f624a.jpg

Exactly as I described Jon, hope that you got replacement.

Yes. All good now. Went to a local garage/mechanic and they gave me a couple of replacement screws for free.

Thanks for all the help! :)

5 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Exactly as I described Jon, hope that you got replacement.

Sorry forgot to tell you Jon, when !Removed! in the replacements do not over tighten as you’re only !Removed! into plastic, so use no pressure on your spanner/wrench. It can also help you if you can get a slightly larger diameter screw which will grip better.

6 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Sorry forgot to tell you Jon, when !Removed! in the replacements do not over tighten as you’re only !Removed! into plastic, so use no pressure on your spanner/wrench. It can also help you if you can get a slightly larger diameter screw which will grip better.

The naughty word filter seems to be set rather aggresively.

12 minutes ago, paul9 said:

The naughty word filter seems to be set rather aggresively.

Yes Paul I was rather taken aback by that. I wonder what the Oxford dictionary definition of the word is. I certainly never meant anything naughty. Had I known it was going to be deleted, I could have used the word “inserting” 🤭. Political correctness has gone haywire 😡.

• Haha 1