Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Interior lights, LEDs?

Auris Geezer

41 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Think the led on current vehicles are 6000k temp, I don't like it as its harsh on the eye. I don't like car manufacturer don't give the option to have 4300 & 5000k for led. They just go with the trend and what everybody might like, well i don't like 6k! 

Giving people the option of what light output they would like, wouldn't be workable from a production point of view. 

May as well include other options such as what fragrance screenwash one would prefer, etc, etc.

• Haha 1

Plenty of options for different seats/wheel size 16-18/digital & analogue screens/8-10+ inch infotainment screens to name a few regarding workable production point of view. 

Hardly a good comparison of fragrance screen wash to the importance of light colour for night vision. 

8 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Hardly a good comparison of fragrance screen wash to the importance of light colour for night vision. 

But it shows how unrealistic offering a choice of light outputs would be.

3 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

It is true? I would say the standard bulbs are hotter, led has less heat. 

Changed led for cabin and boot light for about 3 years now. I don't see leaving the boot open for hours to cause an issue.

There is no problem off course even when it is above 100 C. The problem started when some spike or failed capacitor or components but the casing is not within automotive standard and gets burned instead of just melts. 

Auris boots get around the fire hazard issue by holding water though 😄

• Haha 1

I disconnected my boot light reason I often have boot open for 20 to 30 minutes and I dont need the light on pulling the Battery down.

Yes I know it switches off after about 20 minutes

Not had time to fit a switch.

I absolutely agree with the colour temperature of car LEDs being far too high, especially for night use, where it's been proven that it's better to be shifted over to the redder spectrum to reduce eye strain from prolonged use. In contrast (haha), the whiter/bluer spectrum used by most cars is known to increase eyestrain!

Sadly, it's in the same basket as the brightness wars of TVs, the loudness wars of radio music, and rim-size wars on cars; Because most people are apparently part magpie, they've pushed the industry in that direction even tho' it's making us blind, deaf and... err... puncturey (?)... so the only way to change this would be to lobby the government for a change in legislation, but realistically nobody really cares enough to go to that trouble, and the government also don't care about such 'trivial' things, so anyone that cares enough is stuck with wearing yellow-tinted night-driving glasses as the only real recourse.

As for actual heat, it seems a lot of modern LEDs are being over-driven, at least house bulbs - I suspect vendors realized they would lose a lot of money from people no longer needing to replace their bulbs and started doing this deliberately - We have some early LED (house) bulbs which are cool to the touch even if left running all the time, but all our more recent ones get hot enough that you almost need to treat them like incandescents! If there's one thing LEDs don't like, it's heat, so I'm pretty sure the modern bulbs will burn out long before the old ones we have...

• Like 4

On 10/12/2022 at 7:16 PM, Cyker said:

I suspect vendors realized they would lose a lot of money from people no longer needing to replace their bulbs

This maybe true but the real reason is more likely to be cost.  If you put few LEDs in the housing and drive them harder, it's cheaper than fitting more LEDs.  Over-driven and shorter life LEDs are bad enough when it's 'just' a bulb, but when the LEDs are an integral part of the whole assembly, it's immoral.  I just hope my DRLs aren't over-driven...

• Like 1

Me too!! Having to replace the whole housing makes them eyewateringly expensive :cry:

One thing in our favour is cars move, so they will get better cooling than a house bulb. Also, if I was going to put my faith in any manufacturer to engineer them to last, it'd be Toyota *crosses fingers toes arms ears etc.*

They may still not be great at fit and finish, I'd rather have nasty paint than random expensive part failure!

I've not actually checked my head lamps to see how warm they get when used, will have to try to remember to try that!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links