Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Things to look out for?

Clarkie1978

Hi all. Just doing my research into buying a Estima. 

Are there common issues to look out for with an Estima? Other than the usual things you should look out for on any car purchase of course! 

Are parts easily available for these import cars? 

Are they prone to rust, especially underneath as I believe they are not hot on undersealing cars in Japan? 

Many thanks in advance peeps 😉

Clarkie. 

I have no problems in getting any parts for my Estima....I use Blueprint stuff quite a lot for the service items.

many parts can be bought from the likes of ECP or eBay. et al.

Rust isn't usually an issue on most Japanese imported vehicles...using salt on roads in Japan is rare...mine was spotless underneath when I bought it...and then it was immediately undersealed (to cope with UK weather) as part of the purchase deal..has no corrosion issues at all and has passed every MOT without fail or advisory.

Don't know if you'll go for the V6 3 litre or the 2.4.?..both excellent....and you'll only need to check the things you'd check with any car.

Insurance is not usually a problem either..Both Tony and I use Adrian Flux and get good deals from them.

I doubt you can find a similar vehicle of it's type that offers such reliability, build quality...and bang for your bucks.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RUToyota said:

I have no problems in getting any parts for my Estima....I use Blueprint stuff quite a lot for the service items.

many parts can be bought from the likes of ECP or eBay. et al.

Rust isn't usually an issue on most Japanese imported vehicles...using salt on roads in Japan is rare...mine was spotless underneath when I bought it...and then it was immediately undersealed (to cope with UK weather) as part of the purchase deal..has no corrosion issues at all and has passed every MOT without fail or advisory.

Don't know if you'll go for the V6 3 litre or the 2.4.?..both excellent....and you'll only need to check the things you'd check with any car.

Insurance is not usually a problem either..Both Tony and I use Adrian Flux and get good deals from them.

I doubt you can find a similar vehicle of it's type that offers such reliability, build quality...and bang for your bucks.

Thanks for the advice mate! 

I'm a huge Japanese car fan and I've had a few over the years. 

I'd never considered an import before and I'd never realised how reasonable they are on price, especially the Estima! 

Although an Estima is a fair size car and I wouldnt need all the space it offers everyday, but having a decent size boot is so handy to have. Whether it's for taking stuff to the tip, shopping and buggies or loading up for a holiday. 

I can't get one straight away as I haven't had my current car that long and my wife would kill me if I changed my car again!! 😁

But I will have one as they are so much car for the money. Plus, we all need a goal to aim for or something to look forward to! 👍😉

I can only agree with everything Neil has said above, mines a 2.4 had mine under sealed, when I got it it was like new underneath. If you did get one I think your wife would be well pleased with your purchase lol. Had mine over four years now still love it. The 2.4 has a timing chain the v6 has a timing belt, I prefer the chain personally. Good luck with whatever vehicle you choose.

• Thanks 1

Yes..you are right to mention the chain v. belt Tony...I forget about that.

Though the belt only needs doing about every 6/7 or so years or 70k miles-ish..and it's a non-interference engine so not the end of the world it it ever popped...lol..though I confess it's not a job I'd want to do because of the very limited space under the bonnet with the 3 litre lump there.

My guess would be that the OP would wisely go for the 2.4.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links