Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk5 Window switches

Rocks703

Hello Rav4er's

As I'm still waiting on a delivery date for my Rav4, could a UK owner answer a question for me?

Do the window switches all light up?

I have seen a few mods on the American model where owners have swapped out the switches from other Toyota's that have illuminated switches. So before I buy I just wanted to check if it was the same in the UK.

I’ve just gone out to check for you!  There’s a small light on the driver’s switch only, the rest of the switchery is unlit, which includes the other 3 windows, the window lock, the door lock/unlock and the mirror adjustment.

personally, that’s probably going to be ok for me so I’m unlikely to bother trying to replace. Not the best though.

Thank you for the fast reply and answering my question.

I've found a cluster on evilbay from a C-HR that all light up. When the lock down is over and mine can be delivered I'll make a post of the difference.

Thanks again

Despite what I said earlier, I’d be interested to know how you get on. 

• Like 1

There are a few american forums where they swapped door switches from C-HR, Corolla or Camry and according to them it is plug and play and works fine after the swap.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Adamthenav said:

Despite what I said earlier, I’d be interested to know how you get on. 

Me too.

My 4th Gen Prius I bought in 2016 and traded for my RAV4 had a set of switches on the driver's armrest that was all lit and far better ergonomically than those fitted to the newer, costlier RAV (both Excel spec).  The Prius mirror control, in particular, was like a large Fruit Pastel with a knurled edge and twisted left/right to select which mirror it controlled - easy to find without looking, easy to use - much more so than the old-fashioned design of that on the latest RAV.  I really wish they'd carried that arrangement forward.

The roof switches for interior lights etc on the Prius were also all illuminated and better shaped to find the right one by feel alone.

I do despair of some of the choices made - apart from keeping customers (particularly loyal ones) happy, surely it's cheaper to re-use existing parts for more models than supporting several different versions.

• Like 1

Be aware toyota use 2 different methods of window control the give away is the socket and design of the switch (rear and internals), its not just plug and play, as the auto up motors are different and have extra wiring and different plug types

I have done a lot of different window switch mods over the years, the Yaris and Auris share the same switch types i have a few here what i have been playing with (and a few other toyota switches too)

When my car finally get delivered, it's at the dealers, lock down has now delayed it.

I'll have a look and go from there.

Any succeess will be shared as well as the learnings

Found the article
https://www.rav4world.com/threads/i-swapped-my-driver-door-buttons-with-backlit-ones.302724/

Obviously we need the RH side part (as pictured above by Rocks703) 84040-12200
Or slightly different design

84040 10010 (CH-R) or 84040-47080 (Prius MK4)
https://toyotastock.com/master-switch-assy-multiplex-network-toyota-8404010010-53264803.html

https://toyotastock.com/master-switch-assy-multiplex-network-toyota-8404047080-569137.html

Also, this Russian guy found the illuminated mirror control module (84872-30070)

https://www.drive2.ru/l/551900687269627191/

Someone in Japan

https://cartune.me/notes/Ky79o7kaJX

Parts needed:

2020-03-26_15h18_18.thumb.png.b6982fdcc7891578b1dc7c143710b096.png

The one in the pic above is auto on the drivers side only but illuminated so will be the same as the standard switch, the full auto is very different (OP's pic)

I will have to do a bit more digging on the yaris switches now

This is the guide I found (US model) but looking at the one I have off the CHR the connection looks the same

17 hours ago, flash22 said:

The one in the pic above is auto on the drivers side only but illuminated so will be the same as the standard switch, the full auto is very different (OP's pic)

I will have to do a bit more digging on the yaris switches now

Hi Falsh22
Standard switch in RAV4 is all auto. To my knowledge, Corolla, C-HR and new Camry have 'all auto' windows. However, there are two switches designs. One with the just led in all four switches and another with windows icon and letter A. Looks like cost saving exercise by Toyota.

Electrically they are very different the standard switch uses slide switches, the full auto is electronic with tactile buttons

• 2 weeks later...

Like many of you toyota rav4 owners, i was really disappointed that switches on the driver door which control the windows and door locking switches did not illuminate. No doubt a penny pinching by toyota. My wife owns a 2017 toyota CH-R And all the switches illuminate, so rather than purchasing a unit on the off chance it will work i removed the panel from the CH-R and fitted it to the rav4 to test. Everything works, windows control, windows locking and door locking unlocking and more important the switches all illuminate. I ordered a CH-R switch panel from a breakers yard,  It arrived today. Fitted in 15 to 20 min. Total success 

• Thanks 3

Topics merged.

Having just the drivers window with a very dim light on the switch has always annoyed me.

I found the below on good old Aliexpress,  I first found the one with the AUTO switch on the left, so I emailed them and they sent me a link to the one for our RHD cars in the UK with the AUTO switch in the correct place.  I have since ordered one, including the 3 single window switches for the other doors, very easy to fit, as the panel that surrounds the switches just pop out.  I ordered them with the plain white colour illumination.

Not sure when they will arrive, but I'm in no rush.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000202270488.html

• 3 months later...
On 4/7/2020 at 8:57 PM, Bwh said:

Like many of you toyota rav4 owners, i was really disappointed that switches on the driver door which control the windows and door locking switches did not illuminate. No doubt a penny pinching by toyota. My wife owns a 2017 toyota CH-R And all the switches illuminate, so rather than purchasing a unit on the off chance it will work i removed the panel from the CH-R and fitted it to the rav4 to test. Everything works, windows control, windows locking and door locking unlocking and more important the switches all illuminate. I ordered a CH-R switch panel from a breakers yard,  It arrived today. Fitted in 15 to 20 min. Total success 

What was the part number?

Mine came weeks months ago and are great, can see every switch at night.  I did all 4 doors on my 4.3.

I'm still looking for the illuminated version of the mirror control on the centre console.

Fitted the switches today. Very easy to do and looks so much better

20200717_150557.jpg

20200717_163914.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2020 at 9:34 AM, BobbyMcLeish said:

Having just the drivers window with a very dim light on the switch has always annoyed me.

I found the below on good old Aliexpress,  I first found the one with the AUTO switch on the left, so I emailed them and they sent me a link to the one for our RHD cars in the UK with the AUTO switch in the correct place.  I have since ordered one, including the 3 single window switches for the other doors, very easy to fit, as the panel that surrounds the switches just pop out.  I ordered them with the plain white colour illumination.

Not sure when they will arrive, but I'm in no rush.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000202270488.html

Can you please post a pic of the pins.  As my part from my RAV4 in Australia has 20 pins.  But the from from AliExpress shows less.  Attached is a pic of mine.

1448590698-1375577207.jpg

The problem I find with most modern cars these days is switches on the door that get wet in heavy rain and occasionally pop a fuse. I remember the ones on my old Vauxhall Cavalier that were on the centre console - far better IMHO. I've now got used to their position and can open every window by feel without taking my eyes off the road.

On 8/4/2020 at 3:39 AM, Rocks703 said:

Hope this helps

20200803_183511.jpg

Hi Rocks702, so the party number was definately 84040-12200?

On 4/7/2020 at 11:57 AM, Bwh said:

15 minutes!, I just did mine tonight literally took me about 3 minutes 😂👍

20200812_191835.jpg

• Like 1