Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T27 fan belt

Robert81

Hi All,

I know this was already raised but thought I refresh the subject. I am looking at replacing the fan belt on my 1.8 T27 avensis.
What experience did you have had with replacing this part, any makes worth recommending etc.?
I know most will say buy Bando but they are not so common with conti, gates and Dayco dominating the market.

From what I have seen the genuine replacement is made by Mitsuboshi but the difference in prise makes me look at alternatives.

Did you guys experience any "squealing" after using non genuine belt? Suspect 6PK1230 is the one for AC version.

Replacement looks straight forward as no tensioner is present so just loosen the alternator?

Thanks and Regards, 

The alternator belt is not a difficult to change. My car is still on it's original belt, but I keep a spare in the boot. 
20200327_123415.thumb.jpg.08a23b64c362fcc4003477ffcd70928c.jpg 20200327_123440.thumb.jpg.94ab460c6d9adba3b17fd081a38cfbd7.jpg 

The details of the belt are in the photos.

To release the tension on the belt, undo the the locking bolt under the long adjustment bolt. You may also need to undo the the lower bolt on the alternator, to ease movement.
20200327_123620.thumb.jpg.830537a11a52f707266e8e7546a897ab.jpg The locking bolt just below the long threaded adjustment bolt.

Then screw the adjustment screw in to loosen the tension on the belt. 

20200327_123654.thumb.jpg.037087c873e87031cfa1de7c09e21edf.jpg

Look at the following video - 

Thanks Konrad. Mine still holds the original belt too but I wonder how long will a 11 year old belt last so like yourself, either change now or carry one as spare just in case.

Thanks for the instructions re change, is suspected this will be the case.

18 hours ago, Robert81 said:

Thanks Konrad. Mine still holds the original belt too but I wonder how long will a 11 year old belt last so like yourself, either change now or carry one as spare just in case.

Thanks for the instructions re change, is suspected this will be the case.

I have inspected the original belt, and it shows no sign of deterioration for a 11 year old original. If the belt does break unexpectedly, I have tools to replace the spare belt on the spot. I remember my old '98 Mk1 managing 12 years, until the crank pulley failed damaging the belts. I put the spare belt on and limped the car a few hundred yards back home. Had to wait a few days for a replacement pulley. 
Just in case the belt does break, you still need to remember how to route the new belt. It is not as difficult as some. You can't go wrong using the following diagram.
614393374_ZRdrivebeltrouting.thumb.jpg.43d0ee7a8fcf02567839a67116601d40.jpg