Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keeping 12v battery charged.

Chris Dance

We are advised not to do any unnecessary journeys. If the Prius is left for a while the chances are the 12v Battery may go flat. This happened to me once after leaving the car stood for a couple of weeks whilst on holiday abroad. I intend to run our car round the estate at least once a week to keep the Battery charged and brakes etc used. 

• Like 1

And that's probably all that's needed. The power drain on the 12V is minimal, and it charges whenever the car is in Ready mode (whether the engine is running or not).

A 1 minute drive around the estate will keep everything lubricated and rust off the brakes. You could continue driving or not driving (just in Ready mode) for a bit longer to charge the Battery. The engine will run until it finishes warming up, which is long enough to give the traction Battery some charge too. Do that once a week and you'll be fine. Most people will have to go to the shops every week anyway, which is also enough to keep everything running well.

In general, you should be able to leave your car alone for a month without much issue. Depends on the health of the batteries of course. No harm in starting your car once a week or once a fortnight. 

• Like 2

I was worried went I went on a 3 week holiday last year, but Im pleased to say that Percy started up just as normal 👍

Not sure if it being kept in a garage made any difference or not, but I had my jump pack at the ready just in case, but I was glad I didn't need to use it.

• Like 1