Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mechanical Key

BigRedSwitch

I want to remove the 12v Battery to put it on trickle charge but I'd like to know if the mechanical key will lock/unlock all the doors, particularly the rear door!  Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Hi, the mechanical key will unlock drivers door only and it’s for emergency use if you have dead battery and u need access to the engine bay to jump start the car. I can recommend to you to leave your rear hatch open and use some towels over the lock to stop shutting and locking the rear door by accident. Before you disconnect the Battery check if your mechanical key works and as extra precaution you can spray some wd-40 or similar lubricant to it to keep it moving freely. Those batteries also needs specific chargers, if unsure best is to live it in the car and you can charge it keeping the car in ready mode for 30-40 min , this actually is best care for the Battery and engine too. 

Regards 

• Like 1

Worst case, you can unlock the doors using the mechanical key, drop down the seats, open the access panel in the boot, where the lock is, and unlock it manually.

Thanks Tony. What you describe is what I've been doing but because of the security risk and the long term prospect of no motoring (I'm 70+ so can't venture out) I thought taking the Battery out and putting it on my CTEK MXS 5.0 charger would be a smart move..

Dean: Thanks but sounds far too gymnastic for me.  I've not noticed an access panel - I will take a look tomorrow.

• Like 1