Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake dust - Aygo 2006

flembot

Hi, my front brake pads were replaced a couple of years ago and ever since they produce a lot of brake dust unlike the last pair did. I don't have the information of the brake pads I bought to have fitted , but, I took the car to a car parts centre and they just put my reg number into their system and were able to find me the correct brake pads. So I assume they aren't the wrong ones especially considering that it's been a couple of years since they were replaced. 

They just produce dust overtime that the old brake pads did not. Why would this be? 

Photos of the brake dust here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvxDFgUHUgNCgrcTbX7ZoQZLpZyu4A

Just like everything else that’s manufactured...... you pays your money and have a choice......remember the old saying - you can buy a mini or a jag.  Both do the same job but the quality of a jag is better then a mini.  Same with brake pads.

• Like 1

That looks perfectly normal to me.  All pads produce dust as they wear.

• Like 1

Different pads....some just give off more than others..doesn't look overly bad to me.

Just go for reasonable quailty...I generally use Blueprint stuff.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, flembot said:

Hi, my front brake pads were replaced a couple of years ago and ever since they produce a lot of brake dust unlike the last pair did. I don't have the information of the brake pads I bought to have fitted , but, I took the car to a car parts centre and they just put my reg number into their system and were able to find me the correct brake pads. So I assume they aren't the wrong ones especially considering that it's been a couple of years since they were replaced. 

They just produce dust overtime that the old brake pads did not. Why would this be? 

Photos of the brake dust here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvxDFgUHUgNCgrcTbX7ZoQZLpZyu4A

Hi, 

from the pictures you share I can see reddish colours all around the wheel, tyre, calliper and higher wear on the discs. Those are signs of high temperature burn of your brake pads material caused due to a stuck  piston and or stuck slider pins. Check the level and colour of the brake fluid in the reservoir and the best is to service your brake system ASAP. Normal dust from pads it’s usually black, dark grey but not red. Check it out and best is to replace discs and pads, brake fluid and properly check and service the callipers. If can not do so at least take everything apart , clean and lubricate and make a note what needs to be changed soon. 
Good luck 👍

• Like 2

Hi Andrew,

I agree with the above post from Tony, in that the dust on your alloys does look a bit red and another cause for this is that if you haven't done many miles recently, your disks can get surface rust on them.  This bit of rust is cleaned when you brake and the rust powder ends up on your alloys so just check, by looking through the gaps in your alloy spokes, what the disks acually look like.

I was still on the original disks and I noticed something similar, so last month when my Aygo was in for it's service, I got them to change the disks, pads, rear shoes and brake fluid as a precaution.

On the other hand, as others have said some pads do give off more dust than others, so it could be that but from your photos, it doesn't look too bad and I've seen a lot worse.

Good luck and all the best.....Stay safe. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I agree with Tony pull you calipers off and check to see the pads are wearing uneven could be a sign sliders need to be cleaned of it the piston is sticking to one side

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses!

On 3/28/2020 at 9:55 AM, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

from the pictures you share I can see reddish colours all around the wheel, tyre, calliper and higher wear on the discs. Those are signs of high temperature burn of your brake pads material caused due to a stuck  piston and or stuck slider pins. Check the level and colour of the brake fluid in the reservoir and the best is to service your brake system ASAP. Normal dust from pads it’s usually black, dark grey but not red. Check it out and best is to replace discs and pads, brake fluid and properly check and service the callipers. If can not do so at least take everything apart , clean and lubricate and make a note what needs to be changed soon. 
Good luck 👍

I certainly will take heed of what Tony has said. As a matter of fact, last July when my car was re-called for some window thing, the dealership (or whatever they are called ) inspected the rest of the car at the time and mentioned something about the brake fluid. 

Thing about the dust is that ever since my Dad replaced the discs and the pads for me (both Blueprint stuff) it has been since then that it has kept producing this dust. Maybe he didn't put something back correctly?

Either way I need to take the car to the garage soon to get new Hancook tyres on it as they are reaching the tread depth - so will also look at having the entire brake system inspected at the same time. And indeed, now is a good time to have that work done considering I am working from home due to covid-19 pandemic 🙂

• Like 1

Due to coved-19 you may find your dealership shut as well.

• Like 1

Main dealers are all shut but some independent still open plus black circles are open and deliver tyres. For the cars, now is the time to get our hands dirty, parts and tools can be ordered from euro car parts or eBay and towards the end of the week weather will get better so perfect for outdoor exercise. Shame I had done so much hard work on my car in freezing cold winds and rain in February and now only few easy jobs left to do, but how could I know that this lockdown is coming. I love working on my car and can’t wait for sunny days to spend outside around her. 🚙🇬🇧👍

• Like 1

Well I'm not sure about you guys but I certainly won't be taking a 2006 Toyota Aygo to a Toyota dealship when I could just take it to the garage (which I believe are listed as essential services and thus remain open?)

I couldn't touch another stealer nothing but head aches

1926468072_NewTOY209disc30.3_2002.thumb.jpg.71e4c8f47c7f585be53e28505c09a2a7.jpg

These have just arrived, the pads should be here later today so, guess what I'm going to be doing.

• Like 2

Not sure what the benefit of using a Toyota dealer would be for repairs unless it was under warranty maybe

Not sure what the benefit of using a Toyota dealer would be for repairs unless it was under warranty maybe
Getting ripped off my 16 plate aygo went in 3 time 2 out of 3 used too thick oil had 2 1l bottles of 10w40 toyota service manual say 0w20 or 5w30 but must drain out for 0w20

Hi All,

I was advised at my last mot a month ago that my pads are low, purchased a new set at my local dealers, still in the boot, hoping to get them fitted this weekend, weather permitting.

However, I’ve always used genuine parts, and find that they do give off a lot of brake dust, and I do my own diy, ensuring I grease sliders etc. My alloys are always  covered in black dust, not reddish! 

• Like 1

Whenever I polish my car, and I use Williams waterless car clean/polish because it has Carnuba wax in it, I polish the alloy wheels as well (as recommended). This makes the alloys slippy, some brake dust will not adhere, the rest can be washed off easily next time you clean with Williams.

• Like 1