Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FirstCarFirstYaris

Hello, I Just bought a used Toyota Yaris as my first car and I'm really excited to the fun I'll have in it. I had a really low budget and took a lot of joy in researching a topic I had now knowledge about by myself and came to the conclusion I wanted a reliable yet slightly sportier (well as sporty as you can get insured on at 17!) And went with a 2000 1.3 Yaris sr. I paid £600 for it with a new clutch fitted included. It has a few problems but I can't take my test for 3 months thanks to the virus so I'm really excited to work on it and learn a new skill or two!

Hello Mason - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

• Like 1

I hope you got some insurance quotes 😐 dont be surprised if its 4-5 times what the car is worth

Congratulations on purchasing your first Toyota vehicle and welcome to the club, be sure to fully read your owners manual and warranty book , a particularly intersting section is the Toyota Eurocare facility which makes an interesting read and is a service which most people dont know is available. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Welcome Mason,

Good choice for your first car...hope everything works out well for you.

welcome mason to the forum

well you now have the time to get your car sorted out in time for passing your test

you mentioned it had a few problems what are they ???

you will get some good advice from the forum to help you out.

Thanks for all the nice messages guys. It's really reassuring knowing there is an active community behind my new car. I can't figure out how to reply to everyone individually ATM so I'll just have to thank you all in this one message lol

17 minutes ago, FirstCarFirstYaris said:

Thanks for all the nice messages guys. It's really reassuring knowing there is an active community behind my new car. I can't figure out how to reply to everyone individually ATM so I'll just have to thank you all in this one message lol

if i where to msg you personally i'd need to

click on your letter F square then click on message

to conact me you would click on the image of my car then on message

12 minutes ago, eygo said:

if i where to msg you personally i'd need to

click on your letter F square then click on message

to conact me you would click on the image of my car then on message

And if I wanted to reply on this subforum I'd do what I've done in this post? As for the problems you asked about the main one is the windscreen washer pump not working. I'm gonna trouble shoot it today based on some YouTube videos etc but would you perhaps know the best way to get to the pump because it seems to be buried in the offside wheel arch? I've also seen that a few people on here bought a universal washer pump off eBay for £10 instead of the Toyota one for £50+ but I can't find anyone who has reported on the outcome of doing so

firstly i would remove the wheel arch liner to see what access you have to the pump

you may find you have one pump that has 2 outlets 1 is for the rear windscreen the

other for the front windscreen if this is the case then original pump is the way to go,

how it works is there is a 1 way valve for each outlet when the pump spins clockwise

you may have water to the front and when the pump spins anti clockwise the rear window

gets the water in each direction the other outlet is blocked off.

here are 2 pumps that maybe fitted to your car

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401951485312

&

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121858158205

here is a link for jap parts there are exploded views of evrything

just select your car variant use the model of VITZ instead of yaris

https://jp-carparts.com/toyota/carlist.php?maker=toyota

Thank you very much eygo. I will remove the wheel arch to see if it is one pump or two separate ones then choose the appropriate link out of the two you gave me. Do you know of anyone who has had success with eBay washer pumps or is it a stab in the dark?

sorry i have never bought one

you may find there is a filter on the pump that maybe blocked

i have seen this on a ford many years ago

in the washer bottle there as a black rubber insert / seal

the pump is pushed into this

built in to this part was a wire mesh fiter that needed cleaning

the pump was working but couldn't pump any water due to the clogged filter.

I just went out and checked it. The rear washer pump is making a noise when I turn it on but no liquid coming out (screen washer is topped up) but the front one does not make a noise when I turn it on. My prediction is there are two separate pumps and the rear one is clogged like you said above and the front one needs replacing. My dad is currently working on the drive but it will be clear by tommorow so I will take oit the wheel and wheel arch and see what the problem is then update you! Thanks

not a problem we are all glad to help others on here

why not take afew photos while you are sorting the washers out and write a 'How To' guide to help owners who have this problem in the future?

jc 

I was planning on doing a write up after I'd finished but forgot to take pics along the way. Thanks I'll do that now while I'm waiting for the part to come!

Welcome to the forum Mason, from the Emerald Isle. For one so young you seem to have an old head on your shoulders 👏. Great members on here and are generous in helping with their expertise. Enjoy the ride, stay safe 👍

On 3/30/2020 at 2:32 PM, Ricochet1 said:

why not take afew photos while you are sorting the washers out and write a 'How To' guide to help owners who have this problem in the future?

jc 

Just to clarify, where would I post my write up?

when you log on to Forums go to the How To Guides, there should be some examples there in the Yaris Club Guide , links below may work...

i am sure you can put something useful up there.

Frostyballs is very helpful , i am sure he will give guidance  if you message him.

jc 

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/tutorials/category/1-how-to-create-a-guide-and-why/     https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/tutorials/category/12-yaris-club-guides/

• 2 weeks later...