Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris-Arising from the ashes

sproutdreamer

We bought an 04 1.3 T Spirit Yaris  3 years ago for my wife to drive as she finds the Avensis a bit bigger than she is comfortable with in tight car parks.

Anyway I bought it in a rush but it looked good, the engine was immaculate and only 41k miles. It seemed very good until I took it for the MOT after 6 months. It failed on the back brakes and handbrake (needed new cylinders and shoes etc which |I did myself) but the tester said there were so many Advisories that it was not worth spending any money on. These advisories were all to do with rust :- Back crossbeam, suspension arms both sides, rear floor both sides, scills both sides, front floors both sides, rear shock absorbers both sides, all front and rear suspension springs....

In preparation for the second test a year later I set about the rear underside with a finger power sander and wire brushes and descaled everthing and used Bitumin brushed underseal and Bitumin Spray for the difficult bits. Replaced the shocks and springs. MOT then said only front floors rusty as advisories.

For the MOT last week I did the underside floors etc at the front. MOT with no advisories.

Total cost parts, underseal etc under £300 and about 2 weeks total work. Despite the original testers doom & gloom there was no structural rust when I was close to scrapping it!

It is now a lovely little car and perfect as a town car in hospital and supermarket car parks.

• Like 6

Good job! So much greener keeping an old car on the road than just buying a new one every 3 years!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, donkeychomp said:

Good job! So much greener keeping an old car on the road than just buying a new one every 3 years!

Only if you are competent at DIY,,,

My Suzuki truck is 39 years old. Yes I can twirl a spanner lol

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links