Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E11 G6 Gearbox Oil

Taylor93

Hi all, 

I recently picked up a 1997 Corolla E11 1.3 G6, its needs some bits doing that ive decided to tackle during this time. Starting off with replacing the perished CV boots, but i have a couple of questions and as my local Toyota dealerships appear to be closed, i have come here,

Firstly, the Manual says it needs 2.1L of 75W90 Gear oil either GL4 or GL5. Searches on here support that it is indeed 75W90. However none have stated any preference of GL4 or GL5.

Now in previous cars ive owned, you cannot Mix GL4 with GL5 as one is more acidic and can damage the Syncro's within the gearbox, so although there is the choice, does anyone know which is best for the gearbox? The Toyota dealership said to me for the 5 speeds they would typically use the GL4 but never got back to me about the 6 speed. As i believe it is a rarer gearbox i dont want to potentially scrap the box by using the wrong type of oil..

Also, does anyone know the size of the Cotter/Split pin which retains the driveshaft nut? I have the OEM number but not the size. If i know the correct size a friend has said he can source me one quickly but due to Covid-19, the Dealership cannot provide me with on right now.

Thanks in advance, my first post here so look forward to seeing what you guys say 🙂

Taylor

Hi,

Worth looking at this long thead which covers your model. ( 1 of 2 big threads)

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/174991-paddy-the-corolla-1998-13-e11-3-door/?tab=comments#comment-1426935

As I seem to remember he fitted complete new driveshafts as there are now much cheaper aftermarket ones, probably easier than fitting new rubbers alone.

Which "Manual" are you refering to ?  my later models Owners Handbook also state GL4 or GL5,  believe its due to the types of metals use in the gearboxes, but if Toyoota state both surely either should be ok, though most oil manufacturers web sites state GL4.    Mine needs just 1.9l to refill, not sure if your 2.1L is fill from new or refill .

Cotter Pins, loads on places like eBay , mixed packs for £4.99 if you cannot buy a pack locally,  though worth mailng the seller first to see if they are still working.

Do you have a suitable socket for the hub nut ?

Hi,

Yes ive got the right size hub nut socket, I was referring to the User Manual.

I have a haynes manual but it i dont think theyre anywhere near as good as the OEM workshop manuals.

Currently also trying to identify the correct clutch kit for the G6, its a 1997 JT Vin but the Toyota parts catalogue page does like its VIN. (it works with my 5spd E11 VIN just fine) using the Chassis plate i can find the EE111R-AGFNKW build variant which shows a few different clutch kits being SACHS or AISIN. So not sure which to go for yet as the two do not seem to be cross compatible. 

Thanks, Taylor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links