Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 T-Sport battery replacement question

Silver Yaris

Greetings all,

I am in need of a new Battery for my T-Sport as it has been fading for a while & by all accounts it looks like the original Toyota battery.

Any replacements I am finding by entering my reg no are throwing up all sorts of options but one I am keen on is a Yuasa YBX5063 which is available from Amazon at £58.95 and the same Battery is at Halfrauds labelled as a HSB063 for £90 so you can see where I plan to purchase it from. I spoke with Yuasa directly this morning to confirm what I have just stated.

The questions are, any Battery I find seems to be a good bit wider, shorter in height and not as long so probably won't fit on the battery tray - does this matter and has anyone had any issues with getting these different shaped batteries to fit in to the small space as the OEM battery is very narrow?

Also, all of the batteries that I am finding have the terminals on the right hand side vs the left on mine - I am assuming that there is no problem with the cables reaching?

TIA for any responses

20160131_113319.thumb.jpg.b6d8fb1df944652de4bfb0b97f9d65a4.jpg

You need the correct Battery for your car that's a left-hand positive with the correct terminal size, no the leads will not swap over

Hi Martin. 

You mention that this looks like the original Battery. If it was that would make it 15 years old so although it could be the original, it is more likely to be a replacement. 

You may find that a new Battery is actually a better fit. As long as it sits securely and is clamped in place correctly then it will be fine. There should be enough length in the cables even if the posts are on the opposite sides. 

Regards

Is yours a French or Jap built ? (Vin - JT is Jap, VNK if french)

French - YBX3063 or YBX5063 - Right Pos

Jap - YBX3057 or YBX5057 - Left Pos

5 minutes ago, HS78 said:

It depends on where its built

Hi all, just to clarify my statement above, where I mean the cables reaching, I mean to the correct terminals on the Battery on the right hand side (close to the bulk head) and not the left as they currently are on mine, not swapping them round as I don't fancy blowing a load of fuses.

Mine is a T-Sport & all of the T-Sports were built in Japan.

Edit: Flash22 - I see what you mean, I was struggling to find a Battery with the left pos as you have described above - thanks!

I have them listed for both France and Japan but that maybe an aftermarket error, the Japanese built cars have a few odd quirks batteries being one of them

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, MRichards said:

Based on the photo, it looks like an 053 battery is the size in your car currently, not 063. Check measurements on this site (https://www.puretyre.co.uk/car-battery-specification-chart/) and see if that size would fit better.

Hi, thanks for the info & I have checked already, it's the 057 as per what Flash22 / Bob has stated above  

31 minutes ago, MRichards said:

Based on the photo, it looks like an 053 battery is the size in your car currently, not 063. Check measurements on this site (https://www.puretyre.co.uk/car-battery-specification-chart/) and see if that size would fit better.

see my post above its an 057 (jap spec battery)