Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Disconnect Battery

JohnP801

Hi, I have a 2000 year 1.8 petrol Avensis That I had recently Sorned with a view to getting rid of it. I had intended to sell it as a good runner as it has only done 120k and runs great. However, it looks like it is going to be stuck on my mums driveway for the foreseeable future, given current events. What I would like to know is....if I disconnect the Battery, will the alarm backup Battery eventually run down and cause the alarm to come on? My mum is 85 and if this happened in the night, would cause great commotion to the neighbours and would panic her?
I ask this because I seem to remember having this problem before, (I've had the car since it was six months old).
Would the car stand indefinitely with the Battery disconnected and cause no problem to the alarm activating if its backup battery runs down? As it stands, the main battery is going flat after about 2-3 weeks standing...and for obvious reasons...I can't be running round to jump start it all the time. Its MOT'd till August I think

I wasn't aware that they had a backup Battery, at least for the factory fit alarm. Is yours aftermarket?

No. Just disconnect Battery. Normally the system only detects general Battery voltage drop. I understand what you are saying though. Remember when reconnecting the Battery, have your keys on you. The doors may lock when connection is made. Don't need the keys locked in the car! :bangin:

A long time ago when I owned my '98 Mk1. I hadn't use the car for a while and the battery was below par (needed topping up). The alarm went off at nearly midnight. I went out and could get the starter to even turn over. I manage to roll the car off the drive, turn it and roll it down the slight incline to bump start it. Drop around the block then parked up. Topped up with distilled water and went to bed. The next evening when I came home from work, checked the car started and all was fine. 

Thanks for the replies folks...the alarm is the original factory fitted one...I am asking this question as I've had the problem in the past...and as a matter of fact, asked for and got assistance on this site. I've owned the car for just on 20 years but cant for the life of me, remember how or if I got around the problem last time. I couldn't remember my original user name or password for this site so had to make a new one.

I will try going down Konrads suggestion, I have jump leads and could jump it to start for now, then leave it running for 20 mins or so, then disconnect the Battery and just lock the doors with the key...then just hope the alarm problem doesn't occur because it will be a major headache if it does. I've still got both the original keys...the ordinary one and the one the the alarm controls on.too.
The car is a 1,8 Avensis GS Hatchback, registered in I think, September 2000....I think it is a MK1...It has the 7AF E engine in, I think

• Like 1

locking with the key is the best solution. I forgot about that, but then that is what would happen with no power. 
Have a look at the following  - http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/1998/avensis/at221r-almekw/3_273540_026_/electrical/8424_anti-theft-device/2

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links