Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.2-177 D-cat

Nemedes

Hello! I can get an Avensis 2006 2.2-177 D-cat (240.000 KM) for a pretty decent price, however I've heard some negatives regarding this engine.  I contacted my local Toyota dealer regarding the head gasket issue, below is a translation of the email.

"I have consulted with advisors in the house, and they would recomment a D-CAT engine if you choose to go for such an old car. Because of the strict emission regulations, diesel engines 2006-2008 had some challenges because of the DPF, hindering the ability to remove waste from the engine. In some cases this lead to issues with the head gasket." They recommended a newer car, or one pre 2006, preferably with a gas engine.

I am not sure how the DPF can cause issues with the head gasket, but if that's the case, would, theoretically removal of the DPF reduce the risk of a blown head gasket?

The car in question shows no signs of a blown head gasket, the engine has been optimised and taken care of afaik.

The seller may or may not have deleted DPF and EGR.

The alternative I have is a Honda Accord with a 2.2l DTEC engine, however it's more than twice the price because it's newer and has a lot less mileage.

Thank you for your time.

EGR caused high levels of carbon build-up on pistons and DPF blocking caused excess back pressure damaging the head gasket. the 2.2 diesel manual pre 2010 doesn't have the DPF but the automatics and the D-CAT engines do have DPF and are problematic. If the DPF gets blocked it costs more than the car is worth to replace. If you mostly do short journeys the regeneration gets interrupted and soot eventually block the DPF causing the vehicle to emit clouds of white smoke and eventually go into limp mode. All modern diesels have DPF in order to meet EU emissions requirements and gone are the days when you could do 200,000 miles on a diesel without major problems.

Also, removing the DPF is illegal (large fines) and MOT include a DPF check. It also invalidates your insurance as insurance companies take the view that you have modified the vehicle.