Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Washers not working 57 reg.

MacsJeep

Hi guys my windscreen washers stopped working. It happened a couple of times and then was ok, but now its gone altogether. The pipe leading to the bonnet is empty and I cannot hear the pump - although I am alone so its hard to pull the stalk and get under the bonnet at same time to be sure. Anything I could try? My dealer is closed due to covid! Please keep instructions simple, I'm a gal lol! 😂 

Thanks un advance

Dawn 

Might be simply a fuse...or a bad/broken connection..or a failed pump...process of elimination I'm afraid.

I'd check fuse first.

Can someone give me guidance on how to check the wiring and pump please? I took the plastic cowl off in that corner but it gave me access to nothing? Would it be a fuse with it being intermittant before going altogether? 

Thanks  

With just the ignition on and engine not running you should be able to hear the pump run pretty clearly.

When you operate the washers can you observe any of the warning lights on the dash dim a little? If they do then and you still can't hear the pump run then the pump could be mechanically seized.

Checking the fuse RUToyota mentioned has to be next to test.

Beyond that things get more difficult. It could be a problem with the stalk (that kind of thing is a distinct possibility) or some 'random' one off problem somewhere (wiring, pump open circuit etc) that would require more detailed testing with a multimeter.

There are two pumps on that car, one for the front and one for the rear.  Does the rear on work?

Hi the handbook says the fuse is for wipers as well and they are working so I guess its not that. The rear window is fine and I can hear the pump. I cannot hear the front pump - the dash lights do not dim. I assume the pymp is goosed or a connection issue. Can anyone tell me where the pump is and how to access it? Thank you. 

The pump is in the O.S.F wing, underneath the place where you fill it up.

You will have to get in behind the wheel arch liner to access it.

Thank you. I'll try to access it at the weekend when I have more time. Maybe something has come loose as it was intermittant at first. Many Thanks. 

Possibly corrosion in the electrical connector to the pump.

So it does sound like either the supply is missing or the pump is dead.

If the connectors are similar on both pumps (front and rear) then you could quickly swap them as a test and see if the front jets then work when you operate the rear washer.

Recently the same thing happened on my 2006 avensis no sound off the pump when you pull the wiper stalk though wipers did move as normal.

Faulty pump sourced a second hand unit in  a breakers very easy to replace remove the the inner  wheel arch 3x10mm bolts and  a couple of clips and the front bumper can be moved enough to gain access to the pump in the washer tank.

Hope it helps

When the front pump on my Mk1 hatchback failed, I checked by swapping the plugs - front to back, visa versa. Then when I operated the front washer, the rear worked, but the front still did not. I got a set from a scrapper the next day and fitted the faulty pump. The other way would be to have a tester connected, to see if current is getting to the plug to the pump.  

I also had to replace the pump on my previous 06 Avensis, bought a cheap one from Charlie Chinaman for about 5 euros and it worked a treat..best of luck with it.

For headlight cleaner there is another pump? My headlight cleaner not working. Only window cleaner is ok.

Thanks

I will answer myself; there is a separate pump for cleaning headlights. The original code is 8528002021. Do you know if there is an aftermarket part?

7 minutes ago, joyne said:

I will answer myself; there is a separate pump for cleaning headlights. The original code is 8528002021. Do you know if there is an aftermarket part?

You should have started a new topic for your issue.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links