Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2005 yaris verso auto - Problems with electrics after charging battery...

Mumuland

Hi All

My sons 2005 Yaris Verso went flat during this isolation period as he has been unwell and not been out for almost 4 weeks.. He is disabled.. My husband put it on charge and went to start it yesterday only to find the ABS and Brake warning light is now on and heater, wipers and indicator / hazards and central locking are not working, he checked all fuses to find two fuses blown - which he has replaced... am I correct in thinking it has blown relays as well as fuses as obviously had some sort of power surge from charging the Battery... Also can anyone tell me where the wiper relay is located as none of the wiring diagrams I can find show me where it is... 

Many thanks 

If you haven't already done so, it would be worth disconnecting the Battery, leaving it for a few minutes and then reconnecting - if the voltage has been brought up slowly from dead flat you may find that some control modules activate before others and things then may not work properly.

Unfortunately it's not unknown for control modules to fail completely during Battery discharge and recharging - but hopefully that's not the case here.

Did your husband charge the Battery correctly i.e. positive to positive and negative to negative, as damage can occur if it was connected with the wrong polarity especially if it's still connected to the vehicle?

Yes it was all charged correctly... he used to work in the tyre and Battery trade for for 25 years... and Battery charger is only two years old, The only thing I am thinking is we had a power cut and wondering if this could of caused the overloading of the circuits.. 

17 hours ago, Yarso said:

If you haven't already done so, it would be worth disconnecting the battery, leaving it for a few minutes and then reconnecting - if the voltage has been brought up slowly from dead flat you may find that some control modules activate before others and things then may not work properly.

Unfortunately it's not unknown for control modules to fail completely during battery discharge and recharging - but hopefully that's not the case here.

Thank you we tried that as I suggested he left it over night and try in the morning... but still the same issue yesterday morning... 

6 hours ago, Mumuland said:

The only thing I am thinking is we had a power cut and wondering if this could of caused the overloading of the circuits.. 

These days it's very unlikely. You can get brownouts where the voltage sags a bit without going off, but a 2 year old charger should handle that without a problem - it should never be able to generate power surges under those conditions.

I would re-check all of the fuses again, just to be sure, as it's quite common for fuses to fail at the edge of the fusible part, where it's difficult to see. But if not that, I would think it will be a control module failure. I suppose it's possible that a relay could have failed, but they are pretty dumb devices and they are relatively hard to break.

Does the car start and run okay? Is the engine warning light (MIL) illuminated?

Yes car starts and runs fine.. engine management light is not on.. 

19 hours ago, Yarso said:

These days it's very unlikely. You can get brownouts where the voltage sags a bit without going off, but a 2 year old charger should handle that without a problem - it should never be able to generate power surges under those conditions.

I would re-check all of the fuses again, just to be sure, as it's quite common for fuses to fail at the edge of the fusible part, where it's difficult to see. But if not that, I would think it will be a control module failure. I suppose it's possible that a relay could have failed, but they are pretty dumb devices and they are relatively hard to break.

So where do we start with diagnosing the control modules? and do you know which ones does what / where they are located? Many thanks for your help it is much appreciated.. Jo 

Can you confirm which fuse panels he has checked? As far as I can tell there are at least 3 separate fuse blocks - has he checked all three? One is (assuming RHD vehicle) at the R.H. end of the dash. The other two are in the engine compartment.

Its likely the B-ecu fuse also check the Dome fuse under the bonnet (there are 2 fuse boxes one behind the glovebox and the one under the bonnet)

Does it have auto wipers ??

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

(there are 2 fuse boxes one behind the glovebox and the one under the bonnet)

Hmmm... Is this something that varies depending on whether French- or Japanese-made? Mine definitely has one fusebox at the RH end of the dash, not behind the glovebox - and there are 2 under the bonnet - though one is the "fusible link" box, which probably won't be the cause.

Fusible link - fuse box

My mistake, internal one is the right side of the dash the one under the bonnet is just behind the headlight

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

Fusible link - fuse box

In that case there are three - the "fusible link block" is attached to the +ve Battery clamp and hangs down behind the Battery. But it won't be that, as everything will be dead if that has blown (don't ask how I know that!).

If he hasn't yet noticed, the functions of the fuses and relays are marked on the inside of the engine bay fuse box cover - though you may need to Google the meaning of some of the two-letter abbreviations...

Yes all three fuses boxes have been checked and rechecked and have ordered a new fusible link block and relays from the fuse box inside the car  just incase..  I have the wiring diagram from https://www.autogenius.info/toyota-yaris-verso-1999-2005-fuse-box-diagram/?fbclid=IwAR2GpHy5NkGnig7mhbiJnXQlrdKi2lWc1oyGPIDSzgMn04BkQh2WqFbyi3s

Its so frustrating and a complete mystery,  as from my background of working on cars I would of said blown fuses.. and have seen relays fail quite often (usually fuel pump relays) but just can't seem to fugue out what's going on with it.. Will wait for parts to arrive and go from there I suppose.. 

On 4/3/2020 at 5:43 PM, flash22 said:

Its likely the B-ecu fuse also check the Dome fuse under the bonnet (there are 2 fuse boxes one behind the glovebox and the one under the bonnet)

Does it have auto wipers ??

Thank you, Will recheck these again today.. no it has manual wipers.. 

if you havent already, disconnect the Battery for 15-20 min's and let everything reset

Hi It's the fusible link block- arrived and fitted today and am pleased to say it has fixed the issue. 🙂 

Many thanks all to you all for your help and advise..  it would also explain why it has gone flat in the first place and needed re charging again yesterday.. I have a very relieved husband and son. 

I'm still a little bit confused, which fuse had blown? Did you swap out the whole fuse box or just one of the fuses?

The Fusible link is part of the Battery terminal it holds 2-3 flat fuses over time these can crack (tiny micro cracks) through the fuse reducing the current carrying capacity giving intermittent problems (they also corrode over time)

eg.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/143540424236

Thanks for the update - so much for my theory that nothing would work if one of the big fuses had gone. My only experience of it is when my dear old Dad was sold the "correct" Battery by Halfords, which was actually the correct one for a French-built car (ours is Japanese-built) - it had the terminals round the wrong way, which blew at least one of the fuses in the fusible link block.

@ Yarso: That's what I thought had happened with the original poster as the warning lights only appeared after the Battery was charged, but she was adamant it didn't suffer damage from reverse polarity.

@ Mumuland: Which of the 3 fuses (from the fusible link) had blown or were damaged in some way or another? Also which 2 fuses were replaced immediately after the Battery was first charged, apologies if they seem to be dumb questions but I'm struggling to understand what has happened.