Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 2013 CD stopped working and icon disappeared from screen

SammieJ

Hi all, first post so please go easy.

I have a 2013 Yaris 1.33 vvti with the basic cd player and radio (not the posh one with satnav).

Yesterday the cd player was working as normal but then suddenly just spat out my cd at random, made a whirring and juddering noise afterwards whilst still thinking it was playing a track on the screen. I tried turning it on and off but it kept starting up where it left off. I tried switching to bluetooth and the radio (which still works) but the CD player was still trying to play an nonexistant disc (that it had spat out). I tried turning the car on and off and suddenly the CD player reset itself and started working by accepting the disc again. I assumed all was well.

Today I went shopping and the cd player started off where it left yesterday but after 5 minutes spat the cd out and crashed - again, but this time it would not reset and after 2 minutes the 'CD' icon on the touch and go system disappeared. It hasn't come back. 

Is this an easy fix or is it bust? I can't get to see my dealers as they're shut (quite rightly). I'm not losing sleep over it as the car has a warranty on it still, but just wondered if anyone has any idea how to resolve this? I am not mechanically minded or able, so if your suggestion involves removing the Battery or similar, then it isn't going to happen.

Help :)

Sounds like the CD drive has died, I would check that warranty as i think electrical isn't covered

Well it's a Toyota warranty so probably a better chance than any, but if it's not covered it's not covered 😕 I'll check with the dealers when they reopen but if it's not covered then I'll enquire about a replacement unit. May even consider the upgrade to the satnav unit if I'm going to replace it anyway. 

Anyone any idea on prices via the dealers? Or do I need to trawl eBay

over £1000 new, iirc they did offer refurb units for £400 (flat rate repair)

the Touch and NAV module are separate units, you should be able to pick one up cheaply on eBay

eg. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Yaris-Touchscreen-Radio-Cd-Player-2012-2013-2014-2015-86140-0D020/274076287799?hash=item3fd0384337:g:qSAAAOSwTpZduxU6

very easy to swap over

£1000 for a cd player on a 7 year old car? I'll do without 😞

Still sucks for a Toyota though 😞 

Some newer cars are nearer £2500, don't forget you have USB port in the glove box so rip your cd's to MP3 and use a USB stick

I don't think I have used a CD's in car for 10+ years

I would consider buying a new car stereo from any brand. My 2016 Yaris Hybrid has a fancy hybrid drive status display as well as a handsfree phone mode and remote control buttons on the steering wheel. If your car has a basic trim level it probably hasn't anything of these feature. So you would not lose anything by ripping the old radio out of the dashboard and putting in a new one. I would not like to lose the hybrid status display, so I'll stick with the Toyota factory solution. And my radio isn't broken.

Most radios of today do not have a CD drive anymore, they use USB memory sticks or SD cards instead. So one card for just a few bucks can easily store 20 or more Audio CDs. Besides that many modern radios of today have a bluetooth interface for connecting with your smartphone. This allows you to use your phone hands free, listen to music from your phone and use your phone as a satnav.

If your car has remote control buttons in the steering wheel, just see an expert - there are aftermarket solutions for adapting the remote control to the radio.

Best regards from Bavaria
Frank

I do use the handfree system a lot, so would be loath to replace the Toyota system just for the cd. The rest of it works well - for now. I guess it's just an issue with it being an old car. I don't normally keep them this old but it looks brand new and in great condition - other than this dodgy cd player. Also times are hard at the moment and the car is paid off in full. It's times like this I'm glad I didn't fall into the PCP trap.

Anyway, I often connect my phone via bluetooth and listen to spotify but sometimes I just prefer to listen to cd's.

Put a used radio in it or you could get it repaired by the likes of DND services