Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

09 yaris spits a mystery part out ! Help ID it ??

Chris2016

Help all yaris mechanics ! 

My Mrs has a 2009 yaris 1.33vvti ,

I was only supposed to service it ! 

I jacked it up and looked for the oil filter and found a mystery part just sitting on top of the undertray !!

Can anyone help identity it please ??

15858590722918096042984049298478.jpg

15858590999274258554738816506614.jpg

Looks like it’s a part out of the oil filter.

Looks to me like part of an oil filter too, although very clean? If it's part of a fitted oil filter, then I'd suspect you have no oil pressure. Does the car have a cartridge oil filter, or a replaceable paper element?

Thanks Catlover & bathtub tom.

It does look like the top of a oil filter but the car has a paper filter .

I am sure it's nothing to with the oil filter, the car runs great and has very low mileage it has had nothing replaced as far as I know and has only ever been touched by the main toyota dealer .

My Mrs has noticed the part seems to have some sort of date stamp on it , the date matches the cars date of manufacture 🤔

How sure you are it's from your car, did you see/hear it fall out?

Is there an O ring in it, or a groove where one would be, if no, then i doubt it's  from a filter.

Personally i think it's been there for a very long time, for example i lost a W5W license plate light in the engine bay, it was still there a year later, also i found some old mechanics rag  in the engine bay, one year after i bought a car.

I know Avensis tends to loose parts from the AC pulley, i think it was some sort of dampener, so maybe check your pulleys.

The central threaded portion has an un-threaded part at its end.  Whilst I don't look that hard at these things, I have never noticed an oil filter that has a thread of that design - the filter screws down on its rubber seal rather than becoming fully screwed on via its thread bottoming out.

Also, the metal used is a fairly heavy thickness, a little over-specified for an oil filter!  Also, as per the thread portion, that date code label would be on the inside of an oil filter cartridge, so invisible once made.

I would (wildly) speculate that this might be a vibration damper to overcome some unwanted resonance, so perhaps from an engine mount or pulley wheel?  

It's the outer part of aircon compressor pulley. The one below is similar, although not identical:

https://www.hexautoparts.com/product/ac-compressor-clutch-replacement-kits-for-2007-2012-toyota-yaris-1700.html

Does the aircon still work? I have heard of these falling off before, but can't remember whether or not it's essential to the operation of the air conditioning.

• Like 1

I was first thinking oil filter but it's too heavy a material and it isn't threaded all the way through - its part of a pulley it may have flick up off the road rather than being part of your car

Edit. It's a yaris AC compressor clutch outer plate 😐(it's not a clutch)

71kjdj0XNZL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.984be6afcc16838f964bedaa285f13ac.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links