Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Polish to use on your paintwork?

Toyota Owners Club

Best Polish to use on your paintwork?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. As we are in lockdown and trying to find things to occupy our time, polishing the car seems quite popular with the majority of us. So, what do you think is the best Polish to use on your paintwork?

• Meguiars
    • Turtle Wax
    • Autoglym
    • MER
    • Simoniz
    • Gtechniq
    • Auto Finesse
    • Chemical Guys
    • Other

As we are in lockdown and trying to find things to occupy our time, polishing the car seems quite popular with the majority of us.

So, what do you think is the best Polish to use on your paintwork?

I'm still using a bottle of Mer that must be more that 20 years old.  That shows how often I polish my cars.

• Thanks 1

I was using Autoglym and still do, but I find the super resin polish has too much filler in it so switched to Meg's

I do like the Quik detailer but it's a bit on the pricey side, but they sell Final inspection that works out miles cheaper and seems to be the same product

If I'am in the mood i might get the Gold Class paste out but it's a lot of graft

• Thanks 1

I use Williams waterless car cleaning/polish bought off Ideal World. £20 for 4x 1 litre sprays which should do 6 medium size cars.. Has Canuaba wax in it. Protect paintwork from vandal spray paint - use some Williams locally and it dissolves the spray paint BUT you must have Williams on before the vandal spray. Same with road tar - use Williams locally and it dissolves the tar. Use with microfibre cloths to apply and another for polish.  Last summer I then started to use Carplan Number 1 on top of Williams. Car stays cleaner longer, then needs less cleaning effort. £8 from Wilko (and other places), one spray bottle will do 4 medium cars, so very cost effective - both Number 1 and Williams.

I don't like using the standard type wax polish, takes too long, and in the summer it dries hard and difficult to remove. Williams can be applied sunny weather and damp weather.

• Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 4:26 PM, Catlover said:

I use Williams waterless car cleaning/polish bought off Ideal World. £20 for 4x 1 litre sprays which should do 6 medium size cars.. Has Canuaba wax in it. Protect paintwork from vandal spray paint - use some Williams locally and it dissolves the spray paint BUT you must have Williams on before the vandal spray. Same with road tar - use Williams locally and it dissolves the tar. Use with microfibre cloths to apply and another for polish.  Last summer I then started to use Carplan Number 1 on top of Williams. Car stays cleaner longer, then needs less cleaning effort. £8 from Wilko (and other places), one spray bottle will do 4 medium cars, so very cost effective - both Number 1 and Williams.

I don't like using the standard type wax polish, takes too long, and in the summer it dries hard and difficult to remove. Williams can be applied sunny weather and damp weather.

Hi Joe, Ive always been very particular about washing and polishing my cars, and I used to use Turtle Wax products. For about 15yrs now Ive always bought new cars on average every two years, the last 6 being Toyotas, all Corrolas and my current one the Yaris Hybrid (BLACK) I know its a colour you are not fond of, and I use Autoglym Products, Super Resin polish, followed by Autoglym Polish Protector. Ive recently washed and polished bout our Yaris cars, my wife has a 1lt 2015 petrol. I didn't put the Polish Protector on my wifes car. Because tting in my garage was a waterless car cleaning polish bought in Aldi a couple of years ago by my son a 750ml spray bottle. So I decided to try that instead on her car as a polish protector.. Well I got the surprise of my life on using it. It is so easy to apply, so easy to apply and can finish the car in half the time, requiring little effort. Which suits a 70yr old + vat right down to the ground. I would never have thought to use it if I hadn't read your post so thanks for that.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bernard,and I so pleased you found it did a good job.  I too have tried the Aldi Waterless Wash n Wax, but I prefer the Williams product, and the price at Ideal World TV Shopping channel is so good, usually £15 for 1 litre, you get 4x 1litre for £20, often with a couple microfibre cloths thrown in.  If you pleased so far, once you get it clean, free from sap, tar spots etc, the polish with your Aldi product which has Carnuaba wax in, get the Carplan Number 1, follow the instructions carefully, and coat the polish, trapping the shine for a claimed up to 12 months. I must be in month 8 or 9 now, but every time I wash the shine is amazing. Try it Bernard, if like me you will love it. That's £8 but enough to do a Yaris maybe 5 or 6 times, so long lasting.

11 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Thanks Bernard,and I so pleased you found it did a good job.  I too have tried the Aldi Waterless Wash n Wax, but I prefer the Williams product, and the price at Ideal World TV Shopping channel is so good, usually £15 for 1 litre, you get 4x 1litre for £20, often with a couple microfibre cloths thrown in.  If you pleased so far, once you get it clean, free from sap, tar spots etc, the polish with your Aldi product which has Carnuaba wax in, get the Carplan Number 1, follow the instructions carefully, and coat the polish, trapping the shine for a claimed up to 12 months. I must be in month 8 or 9 now, but every time I wash the shine is amazing. Try it Bernard, if like me you will love it. That's £8 but enough to do a Yaris maybe 5 or 6 times, so long lasting.

So correct my if Im not getting your info correct. Next time after washing and using the waterless polish, Apply Carplan No1 polish to seal and protect the paintwork ?. I remember in the late sixties / early seventies buying Carplan polish in Woolworths / Wellworths supermarkets. I thought it a good product in those days then I changed to Turtlewax before ending up with Autoglym products of which I have all of them.

Ah Woolworths, I well remember them, they went out of existence 2008 didn't they, in the financial crash.  Will be some more big names bowing out after this virus thing that will take the world into a depression.

Keep on with the Aldi stuff, washing/polishing you car every few weeks, build up a protection, then go for the Carplan No 1,  Do follow the directions closely, you don't use a lot, More is not better in this case. You definitely need a microfibre cloth to apply Number 1.

On a pedantic note, should there be a distinction here between polishing and waxing?

I use Meguiars mostly but recently used DoDo Juice Wax. Fantastic stuff.

I've also used the Williams waterless with good results but always on a clean car. I wouldn't risk on a dirty car!

Generally I managing to stay busy with other things in my life, but yesterday I took the opportunity to wash the sahara sand off my car, go over it with Williams waterless car wash/polish, put rain x on, not only the windscreen, but all the windows, then tyre shine on errr…. the tyres. Took a couple of shots afterwards. If you look carefully at the rear shot you can see the refection of the wife's Auris Hybrid near the fuel cap.

P1010969.JPG

P1010971.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Although this can be used on its own I use Carplan's No 1 Super Gloss on top of my favourite wax/sealant, it really is very easy to use just spray and wipe (no rubbing required) takes a few minutes to apply and can last up to 12 months (even through winter!) No.1 Super Gloss  You can even use it on your wheels, plastics, rubber, chrome etc. It can even be purchased from Sainsbury's, Asda, Halford's, Wilko's etc. for approx £8. 

Hi Steven, you and me alone re Carplan No 1.  See my three posts just above yours, including the photo of the red Prius. That had a coating of Carplan No1 probably last August. That was over a waterless clean and polish with Williams (available online Ideal World).  Still looks good after a wash, and I put more coats of Williams on to provide extra protection as and when I fancy doing so.