Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Adaptive cruise control

Chriss27

Hi I have noticed sometimes try to set adaptive cruise control it does not work. I press the button on steering wheel which switches it on and green light appears but then won’t allow me to set a speed. I’m sure I’m not getting confused with the speed limiter , any idea what I am doing wrong?

Secondly I have set my car up so it won’t start unless I place the key fob next to start/stop - will this prevent keyless theft or not?

thanks

If you have the gear selected to B the Cruise Control (CC) will not engage, to select CC press the right switch of the right hand steering wheel selector switch, the speed limiter is the left switch of the same selector.

Ahh I wonder if that is what I did. Thanks

22 hours ago, Chriss27 said:

Secondly I have set my car up so it won’t start unless I place the key fob next to start/stop - will this prevent keyless theft or not?

I have a Corolla Design like you. It is my understanding that
a) the key fob needs to be physically operated with a button press to lock/unlock the car doors and
b) the key fob needs to be inside the car for it to be started using the Start button. Once the key leaves the vehicle it cannot be started, even if the doors remain unlocked for some reason.

This type of "keyless" starting is not the same as the type of system where both the start function and the door locks are keyless - i.e. with the key in your pocket you can walk up to the car, open the door and start/drive away without touching the fob. I think it's this latter type that can potentially be hacked, allowing a thief to open/start/steal the car without a physical key. 

I hope I have this right because that is one of the reasons I chose the Design! I figured it would be much more secure in this regard.

2 hours ago, Velvet--Glove said:

I have a Corolla Design like you. It is my understanding that
a) the key fob needs to be physically operated with a button press to lock/unlock the car doors and
b) the key fob needs to be inside the car for it to be started using the Start button. Once the key leaves the vehicle it cannot be started, even if the doors remain unlocked for some reason.

This type of "keyless" starting is not the same as the type of system where both the start function and the door locks are keyless - i.e. with the key in your pocket you can walk up to the car, open the door and start/drive away without touching the fob. I think it's this latter type that can potentially be hacked, allowing a thief to open/start/steal the car without a physical key. 

I hope I have this right because that is one of the reasons I chose the Design! I figured it would be much more secure in this regard.

I've changed my settings so that rather than having to just unlock the car and have the car in my pocket/in the car it has to physically be used on the stop/start button. Not sure if true but boosting the signal to unlock the car would also allow them to drive away if you have the car set so that it just needs to be in the car, since they can perhaps boost the presence/range of the key.

It happens to me to  won’t be able to activated ACC and the solution is to stop the engine and start it agayn

Topics merged.

Hmmm I am going to monitor mine more closely, not that this will be anytime soon due to current circumstances

18 hours ago, Dan.Corolla.iconTech said:

It happens to me to  won’t be able to activated ACC and the solution is to stop the engine and start it agayn

If the drive selector is at B (maybe used to decelerate coming up to a roundabout) the ACC will not engage, it has to be in D.  As for the ACC not detecting a stopped car I have never purposely seen a car stopped ahead and just left it to the ACC stop! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sidrat said:

As for the ACC not detecting a stopped car I have never purposely seen a car stopped ahead and just left it to the ACC stop! 

I think that this it is normal for ACC systems not to react to already stationary vehicles, the last three VW’s that I have had were just the same. They had very clear warnings in the manual. 

Much as I think the ACC is a great feature the idea of anyone driving around a built-up area using it scares me. Save it for the open road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ACC will follow a proceeding car and match it as it slows to a stop and even follow it away as it moves off it does not however detect an already stationary car that it is approaching that would fall to the Pre-collision systems and they will only act at the very last moment ( way later the you or I would do so ) to "mitigate" a collision, depending on speed there is no guarantee it will stop wit an accident.

22 hours ago, Sidrat said:

If the drive selector is at B (maybe used to decelerate coming up to a roundabout) the ACC will not engage, it has to be in D.  As for the ACC not detecting a stopped car I have never purposely seen a car stopped ahead and just left it to the ACC stop! 

With the gearbox  in D (drive ) mode  i’v been all the time when the  ACC won’t start ,won’t let me set the speed

11 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

ACC will follow a proceeding car and match it as it slows to a stop and even follow it away as it moves off it does not however detect an already stationary car that it is approaching that would fall to the Pre-collision systems and they will only act at the very last moment ( way later the you or I would do so ) to "mitigate" a collision, depending on speed there is no guarantee it will stop wit an accident.

According to this   Demo the car should stop  if in front of the car is an obstacle, a car stopped..i tried with the ACC on and off  and  the car never stopped by itself ,only sometime  the pre-collision warning light  comes on dashboard.Try to break in last second and you will see that the  system will fail won’t break

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dan.Corolla.iconTech said:

With the gearbox  in D (drive ) mode  i’v been all the time when the  ACC won’t start ,won’t let me set the speed

Looks like a trip to the dealers when they are open again.

Whilst it looks like there may be a fault here, the video's are a good coaching tool. Watching again, it is a good reminder of the limitations of these add on's. The Lane assist I have permanently switched off because I found it dangerous. The video explains that it is only designed for relatively straight roads (in the UK that means motorways in my book), so that is the reason I found it distracting and dangerous, always trying to push me into the path of oncoming vehicles on standard trunk roads, which I mainly use. 

It almost needs dealers to hold a full training session before we are allowed out with these cars, or at the very least, told where the video's are and strongly advised to look at them to understand the advantages, and limitations, of these add on's. Personally, I don't really trust them much, and have them all switched off. We are no where near the world of fully autonomous cars yet, and the temptation to start to rely on these features, like Andru said, worries me a lot.

Very useful as a possible back up, we all have lapses in concentration on the odd occasion. Emphasis on "possible backup". The warnings at the end of the video's sum up the intended value of these add on's very strongly.

• Like 1

When I first put my car in the garage the car did stop itself as it got close to the wall which I was not expecting

17 minutes ago, Chriss27 said:

When I first put my car in the garage the car did stop itself as it got close to the wall which I was not expecting

Yup, same here. I've since learnt when to stop but the beeps are always amusing. I've noticed sometimes that the off-side alarm gets stuck on. I know it's stuck on because if it was genuine the car would be too close to the wall to let me get out.

13 hours ago, Dan.Corolla.iconTech said:

According to this   Demo the car should stop  if in front of the car is an obstacle, a car stopped..i tried with the ACC on and off  and  the car never stopped by itself ,only sometime  the pre-collision warning light  comes on dashboard.Try to break in last second and you will see that the  system will fail won’t break

The video understates how the car will stop  ( it will brake at the last moment and apply maximum brake force and with extreme force) and only describes how the pre-collision will act not ACC Cruise control. Pre-collision is exactly that it only activates when it senses you are not responding to a potential accident it cuts in at the latest possible point if you respond to the initial warning display/beep you override it, only if you do not respond will the pre-collision cut in as a last resort to mitigate ( no guarantee it will prevent or even respond ) a collision. It is wholly the drivers responsibility to ensure you are driving safely and you should not be expecting the car to drive/stop automatically for you.

At dealer level other ensuring there are no system faults, there is no way test/demonstrate the pre-collision is actually working as that would involve trying to crash the car. 

I have once whilst at Current Prius launch had the opportunity to test Pre-collision at the MIRA testing grounds, we each in turn with an instructor did two loops at approx 30 mph driving towards an inflatable car stationary ahead of us,

1, drive at the car and respond when the pre-collision warning flashes/beeps, in doing so nothing happens as we braked and steered around the obstacle

2, as above drive at the car and against all common sense maintain throttle input and not to react, as above the pre-collision warnings flash/beep which we ignore and then with extreme force the car applies its brakes faster than any normal person could do so and so hard you lift up and forward straining hard against your seat belt, it actually hurt and left marks where i was thrown against the belt.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

The video understates how the car will stop  ( it will brake at the last moment and apply maximum brake force and with extreme force) and only describes how the pre-collision will act not ACC Cruise control.......

Totally agree and understand these but getting back to the original post either there is something wrong with their ACC or it is finger trouble!  Unfortunately as some dealerships are currently closed due to current circumstances they will have to live with it until such time that the workshop can look at it. 

I treat things like ACC as an aid. I need still to be in charge of the vehicle, we are not into automatic robot driven cars, they are still ironing out bits on those cars, so we can’t expect to put our trust in these electronics. I don’t think manufacturers are saying that. Best treated as an aid and not rely on them. I know the precolision works, as a car pulled out of a side road in front of me. The big red song lashed up STOP, and the car bracket before me. But I wouldn’t rely on it to happen, no one has positively say it would, I treat as an aid.

• Like 1

I am wondering if Toyota put some logic to take into account road conditions when deciding when a collision is possible and when it needs to apply brakes if driver does nothing.

As we all know, braking distance is different in different conditions - dry, wet, rain, snow, ice etc. And also speed changes required distance to stop.

So I think it should use what is possible as data to try and determine what the real required distance is...

For example if the wipers are working/rains sensor detects water car should assume it is wet, therefore it should apply emergency braking earlier. Same if temperature is below something/the message for icy roads is shown...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links