Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vvti cam problem

frankie406

Hi has anyone else been having problems with their vvti cam gear.. my 2010 auris 1.33vvti is making a noise on start up and ive managed to track it down to the vvti cam gear. Apparently its a world wide problem on Toyota engines.

You mean, rumble sound on cold start only, for 2-3 seconds, then goes away?

You need to be more specific on that..

Yes exactly like that. 

Lack of lubrication in upper sections of the engine due to car not being driven daily.

Some say this is due to not using Toyota oil filters, somehow they prevent the oil going back down to the sump.

Next time get an original filter and try it. 

If the rattle stays there, then it's a problem, on startup i would not worry.

• Like 2

If this is true then how would it be possible to get a correct reading on the oil dipstick when checking it from cold? After all, the dipstick enters the sump to obtain a reading. 

• Like 1

Oil returns to the sump via the oil galleries, it never returns via the filter in any case so that is a myth.

• Like 2

Myth or not, does not hurt to try, the filter is not that expensive. I had the same issue, tried another filter, and it helped in my case.

Anyway, plenty of topics on that matter if you search the forum..

13 hours ago, HS78 said:

If this is true then how would it be possible to get a correct reading on the oil dipstick when checking it from cold? After all, the dipstick enters the sump to obtain a reading. 

The oil is sprayed at the top of the engine to provide a coating, it does not hold any substantial amount of oil, so it does not influence the dipstick reading.

• Like 1

Oil draining out of non original canister filters that lacked a one way non return valve was an issue years ago, particularly where the filter was mounted at an angle or upside down but the 1.33L Auris uses just a disposable element so I don't think that problem can arise.

There was a thread a little while ago about some noise with a 1.33L (was it timing chain?) and from memory the engine had been dealer rebuilt a couple of times but the problem kept returning.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, furtula said:

Myth or not, does not hurt to try, the filter is not that expensive. I had the same issue, tried another filter, and it helped in my case.

Anyway, plenty of topics on that matter if you search the forum..

The oil is sprayed at the top of the engine to provide a coating, it does not hold any substantial amount of oil, so it does not influence the dipstick reading.

Maybe it is me but, I don't understand a word of what you have written.

I don't repair anything based on myths.

What oil is sprayed to the top of the engine?

• Like 1

Always serviced with genuine parts and 5/30 semi oil as per dealership recommended.  I used non genuine oil and filter and it seemed to happen from then .. it may or may not have been a coincidence.  The oil is currently just above ½ on dipstick,  i dont drive it the wife owns it now and has told me that the oil light came on twice but she put oil in it the both times and never came back on since. I will try the genuine parts and oil again once the dealership opens after this outbreak.. thanks for all your replies, keep safe👍

Exactly what oil and filter did you use?

• Like 1

The 1.33L can have serious oil burning issues, mine is currently using around 3 litres per 5.5k which is massive but it runs well otherwise... better than ever in fact. Mileage is 65k. The oil burning started becoming very noticeable about 4 years ago when it was still dealer serviced. The last two services have been at a local independent who imo generally does a better job. Blueprint filter and 5/30 Castrol Stop/Start oil for me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another question,  does this engine have a dual cam gear? Or is it 1 cam gear sprocket and 1 timing chain gear ?

Any pics of the internals would be a massive help, currently looking at a used part and hopefully its only 1 cam gear needed. As the timing kit is way too expensive, i could buy a used engine cheaper. Thanks 

I would pull the vvti solenoid and clean it, a lack of regular oil changes does affect the vvti system, don't bother with used parts as its a major job and you dont want to be doing it twice - put it this way its only a few more steps to change the cam chain

If it isn't broke, don't fix it

• Like 1

Hi, ive taken out both solenoids cleaned them oiled them and tested them. The noise is still there.

Same noise as this but mine is getting worse and lasts a bit longer. Mine is more audible. Thanks for your reply.

Your engine is a bit rare, you can take a look at these manuals, some of them are in Spanish, but you can translate them easily.

To get them to open is easy, select a car and are, for example Yarisoct2010 > click on file named rmxxx (for example rm024dk) > then index2.html and you get the, which would look like this

http://manualespurdy.cisdigital.com/Toyota/YarisNov2010/rm12x3e/MANUAL.HTM/rm12x3e/index2.html

Here is the link, i tried to find some car with your engine, but had no luck because i think the manuals are for US and Mexico market, so check if you can find anything.

http://manualespurdy.cisdigital.com/Toyota/

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know if or where the vvt oil filter/screen is located on this engine. This is the only plug i can find and theres no filter/screen in it nor looks like there would be room in there for 1.

20200511_163702.jpg

You can go to japan-parts.eu and enter your vin, then find it there, they have schematics and part numbers.

Or ideally, if you know the part number, enter it, and get instant schematics.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, furtula said:

You can go to japan-parts.eu and enter your vin, then find it there, they have schematics and part numbers.

Or ideally, if you know the part number, enter it, and get instant schematics.

Thanks again.... hopefully the mechanics can fix this soon. I dont see the filter/screen for the vvti. Once its done it's off to dealers for a trade in.🤔

On 5/9/2020 at 4:50 PM, frankie406 said:

Another question,  does this engine have a dual cam gear? Or is it 1 cam gear sprocket and 1 timing chain gear ?

Any pics of the internals would be a massive help, currently looking at a used part and hopefully its only 1 cam gear needed. As the timing kit is way too expensive, i could buy a used engine cheaper. Thanks 

The 1.33 1NRFE is a Twin cam with twin variator/sproket see pics, it has two variator controllers circled Green the filters for each controller are inside the rocker cover circled Red

Auris 1NRFE 1.33 VVT Controller.PNG

Auris 1NRFE 1.33.PNG

• Thanks 1

Thanks devon! Had out the ocv cleaned and checked they operated. So the oil filter or screen cannot be cleaned unless the rocker cover is off? Also do you know if both of these sprockets lock up or is it just 1? 

Cheers

2 hours ago, frankie406 said:

Thanks devon! Had out the ocv cleaned and checked they operated. So the oil filter or screen cannot be cleaned unless the rocker cover is off? Also do you know if both of these sprockets lock up or is it just 1? 

Cheers

Unsure what you mean by "lock up" both sprockets are variable and can adjust timing, during installation they must be rotated to fully retarded to lock?

Yeah but i read that these lock causing a break in the pin inside the sprocket causing oil starvation and therefore making that noise on start up.. i could have picked it up wrong. Have you heard about this problem before? 

• 2 weeks later...

Does both these cams need the sprockets fitted or only the one that breaks, im not sure of which breaks. Also does the timing chain cover need to be removed to get this work done, and is there a gasket needed for it when the work is done?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone any torque settings for the cam shaft bolts, going to take off rocker cover and change the cam gear myself. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links