Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12v battery location

Bluenose1940

Can anyone tell me where the 12v Battery is located on a 65 plate Yaris hybrid please.

Like my NX300h, my wife's Yaris has been standing for over 2 weeks now and I want to try to check the state of the Battery.  It may need charging and so it would be helpful to be able to find the bloomin' thing🙄

Many thanks.  Be safe everyone.

The 12v Battery lives underneath the back seat alongside the traction Battery, as per the photos in this thread:-

There should be a Battery connection point inside the fuse box that sits in the engine bay, but best check with your owner's manual on this (free full copies available to download from the Toyota GB website), as I don't have a Yaris.

From there you can easily check the voltage, charge the battery, or attach a booster to start the car if the battery is flat.

• Like 1

Run the car by starting it, then turn on the a/c and lights that will start the engine let it run for 20-30 min

if you need to charge the Battery be aware it's an AGM type Battery and it needs to be charged low and slow

I lifted the rear seat out some time back and photographed it all.

This one is the best. The 12v Battery is bottom right of the photo. 

Mick.

IMG_0199.jpg

• Like 1

Suggestion in the Auris forum is to put the car into Ready mode and leave it for 30 minutes every couple weeks. The 12V Battery basically boots up the computers and the Traction Battery takes over from there. The Traction Battery will recharge the 12V when in ready mode, and you'll put a warmup cycle through the ICE.

Thank you for the input chaps, very much appreciated.

I eventually got at the Battery but it was all a bit fiddly though.  I got at it by taking the panels off that are beneath the rear seat, it would probably have been easier if I could simply have lifted the seat itself off but I couldn't work out how it was fixed.  It may be that I would still have had to remove the panels to do that.

I managed to put a multimeter across the terminals and got a reading of 12.3v which is a lot better than I got when I checked my own Battery.  I have now ordered a smart charger and will make use of it for both cars as soon as it turns up.

Thanks again.

If you wanted any more information, then there is this topic which has some instruction on lifting the back seat etc.

I bought this following item about three years ago for £1.15 delivered, the price has gone up a lot now. It does mean you don't have to get your hands dirty.  Perhaps you can find one cheaper. And in the Yaris (and our Auris etc.) it will only show Battery voltage when the car is in 'accessory' mode, as the cigarette lighter socket is not live with the ignition off.  Not great value anymore next to a £10 voltmeter, but anyway.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Monitor-Car-Volt-Voltmeter-LCD-Cigarette-Lighter-Voltage-Panel-Meter-New/133171335512?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225076%26meid%3D27e4d7f224de43dc86d79ed3343ae4e7%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D9%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D174128169993%26itm%3D133171335512%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

43 minutes ago, Bluenose1940 said:

I got at it by taking the panels off that are beneath the rear seat, it would probably have been easier if I could simply have lifted the seat itself off but I couldn't work out how it was fixed.  It may be that I would still have had to remove the panels to do that.

What I did, was remove the panels and give the seat a good hard tug upwards.  It's held in by lugs but they are a tight fit.

I pulled mine apart to see how it was done.  Can't remember if actually I needed to remove the panels or not, but I did anyway.

Mick.

Thanks Mick.  Yes it would be good if you could simply pull the seat up to remove it, at least you could get at the terminals then.  Removing the panels was definitely a PITA

Just pull up the back seat the clips are 2-300mm in, on each side it needs a few sharp tugs upwards, a taped up screw driver may assist

• Like 1

Thanks Bob.  I will be cleaning the cars today and so will give the 'tug method' a go.

8 hours ago, Bluenose1940 said:

Thanks Bob.  I will be cleaning the cars today and so will give the 'tug method' a go.

It needs a BIG tug.

Stand up as far as you can, grasp the seat with both hands, and tug hard and suddenly.  Doing it slowly/constantly/strongly doesn't work.  It needs a good hard vicious sudden tug.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

Mick.