Do Not Sell My Personal Information

urgent advice for a female carer who needs wheels asap - what to buy, a 2.2 diesel or 1.6 petrol corolla/verso

Zacka

Hi everyone. I'm new here and want some seasoned advice from guys who know more than me.

In the past I had a 2003 1.4 petrol Corolla that did nearly 300,000 miles before I sold it and it still swanned through MOTs like new. Apart from the brakes and the occasional sensor issue that only meant it was a bit dodgy starting, that car was faultless.

Fast forward to now and I need to buy a new car (the aforementioned Corolla was when I lived abroad, now I am back in the UK) and only want another Corolla. I work as a domiciliary carer and need to be mobile. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of buying a cheap Pug when I first for back to the UK, to tide me over, and had to get rid of it after a month (not a wise choice - broken gearbox and a terminal engine) and frankly, I don't trust anything besides a Corolla to help me do my job without needing to be fixed every few weeks. I am now without wheels and need to get back on the road asap to do my job.

So, I have three options:

• 2003 1.6 petrol hatchback with 130,000 miles and there was an engine warning light fault on the MOT check, plus the underside is a little corroded, otherwise just the usual brake and indicator blips - this one is only £650 (I can afford this)
  • 2005 1.6 petrol verso with 160,000 and also not much to report on the MOT checker, no engine warning lights and no mention of corrosion - £850 (this is pushing me financially)
  • 2006 2.2 diesel verso with 126,000 miles and a spotless MOT record - £1250 (I can't really afford this)

My issue is whether to stay safe and go petrol, because it is what I know an those are cheaper, or take a chance on the diesel with the spotless record. My previous mechanic has a 2.0 diesel RAV and said it was not a faultless engine, he preferred the 1.4 diesel (he is a Toyota boy through and through). So I am wondering if the 2.2 is the same but worse, i.e. the engine is pushed too much. Plus, the injectors cost more than my kidneys to replace. If I could, I'd go for a 1.4 petrol again as it is an under-dimensioned 1.8 and so is not backed into a corner, but built in the UK. Whereas the 1.6 is built in Japan and tuned perfectly for it's size. 

Guys, any help? I'm a girl, I only know and understand so much, and I really cannot afford to have a car that needs fixing.

Go for one of the 2 petrol ones. Wait...I think for petrol most clean air zones require it to be euro 4 emissions, which is from 2005 onwards. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. 

Many cities are charging clean air zone for diesel vehicles which are before 2015 so do not get a diesel. 

The Corolla would probably be UK built.

The Corolla Verso's would be both have been built in Turkey.

Some of the 2.2 diesels had head gasket issues at the time the diesel Verso was built, so there is the potential for a very expensive repair.

Really the choice has to be between the petrol engined cars.

As regards the Clean Air Zones, the first two, Birmingham and Leeds, have both been delayed - probably til 2021. 23 Local Authorities (including Birmingham and Leeds) need to consider implementing Clean Air Zones from 2021, but affected vehicles vary from zone to zone. For example Birmingham Clean Air Zone includes private cars whereas Leeds doesn't as yet.

I'm not worried about emissions because I live in Cornwall and will never need to go into a city. I just need it to do around 150 miles per day without issue. Any car will have a limited life due to the mileage and kind of driving I do, I just need the car to stay on the road and not eat money because I can't afford it. 

Hi, petrol is more reliable than diesel especially in old cars as mentioned, will give you less trouble in long run, easier to get it fix too. Petrol all the way. 

Thanks guys. You've helped a lot, I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me.

I thought petrol would be safer but the diesel looks mint. Not worth it though if it fails on me. 

Was considering a Yaris because they're also cheaper to run, maybe just to drive then scrap, but they are not Corolla's, different league. If I get a Corolla, I won't need to scrap it so fast. 

Since clean air zone don't matter to where u live, for that sort of mileage a day I would get a diesel as it will save u a lot on fuel over the petrol. The Yaris 1.4 d4d is an option so is a fiesta, road tax are about £30. 

I got a 5 days trip to Cornwall end of June, fingers crossed restrictions are lifted by then 🙏

The type of driving you do, stick with petrol as its a lot of A to B / stop/start type driving when your visiting clients, i don't think you gain anything from the diesel, your insurance may also be higher

Also do a HPI as cars in this sort of price range can have finance and logbook loans on them, way in excess of the value of the car

https://www.hpi.co.uk/

The yaris tends to hold its value better, at the end of the day its transport

You can also check the MOT history of a vehicle - https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history - which highlights mileage history, faults the vehicle has failed on, advisories, etc.

I wouldn't discount the Yaris so easily..they seem to be able to go on forever.!!

As said petrol any day for your usage.

I had a 2006 Lexus IS220D and that has been my worst car engine wise. Believe its used in the Avensis. The 2.2 diesel lump the head gasket started going. I scrapped the car. I certainly wouldn't discount a Yaris. May get something newer.

James.

Most of you guys are advocating a petrol and I can see some of your points. Do not discount a diesel, probably spend £20 on petrol per day for your 150miles, about £15 on diesel. 

Saving of £100 or so a month. 

Of the three vehicles Rachel has identified, the Corolla Verso 2.2 diesel is the most expensive, and the engine (also used in the Auris, Avensis and Rav4) has a history of potential head gasket failure, where the recommended repair is a replacement or rebuilt engine.

To be fair I did not recommend her to get the 2.2 diesel she mentioned. 

A smaller diesel up to 1.6 is fine. Yaris/fiesta/Corsa.

Doing about 30k+ a year, not a running diesel car will simply burn money.