Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 yaris 1lt Battery

Bernard Foy

Hi All, Was cleaning the interior of my wifes Yaris as one does when (cocooned) in lockdown and having nothing better to do. I was listening to the radio all the time about 4hrs, and lo and behold the Battery would not start the car, Flat Battery:angry:. I was not too surprised as the car is generally used for very short runs and has the original Battery. So without disconnecting anything I hooked up a low amp charger and left it there. Now I think that firstly that it should charge it up if left overnight, could some of you guys/gals chime in with your thoughts on what I did.

56 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Disconnect the battery and remove from the car then charge, unless you have a battery tender

Haven’t a clue what a Battery tender is Bob. However I went out to the garage it was still being charged, the green light hadn’t come on to indicate a full charge. So I disconnected the charger from the Battery, turned on the ignition and it fired up immediately. I reconnected the charger and left it on. It’s a cheap modern trickle charger, which goes into maintenance mode when the Battery is fully charged. I guess I’m too lazy to take out the battery, but I look forward to learning what a battery tender is. Thanks for your prompt reply Bob.

That's fine a Battery tender is a maintenance/trickle charger - If its a old-fashioned charger then what I said goes (mainly for safety and fire reasons)

7 minutes ago, flash22 said:

That's fine a battery tender is a maintenance/trickle charger - If its a old-fashioned charger then what I said goes (mainly for safety and fire reasons)

Thanks for your prompt and informative replies Bob. It’s a little gizmo about 1&1/2 inches wide by about six inches long and automatically detects which sort of Battery it’s hooked up to, and the red light goes green when it has fully charged the Battery. And if my memory serves me correctly it will go into maintenance mode. Mind you as I’m a 70+vat, the old memory is nothing to boast about 🤔🤣. Anyhow I’m leaving it on until I can see a green light. Stay safe in these trying times.

18 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Thanks for your prompt and informative replies Bob. It’s a little gizmo about 1&1/2 inches wide by about six inches long and automatically detects which sort of battery it’s hooked up to, and the red light goes green when it has fully charged the battery. And if my memory serves me correctly it will go into maintenance mode. Mind you as I’m a 70+vat, the old memory is nothing to boast about 🤔🤣. Anyhow I’m leaving it on until I can see a green light. Stay safe in these trying times.

18 hours ago, flash22 said:

That's fine a battery tender is a maintenance/trickle charger - If its a old-fashioned charger then what I said goes (mainly for safety and fire reasons)

Final update, Battery fully charged, Light on the little gizmo turned green. Thanks Bob for your input

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I've got 3door hatch toyota yaris tr I've got a new with five years guarantee but every morning the Battery is flat had it checked and bloke said it's OK this morning the power steering locked up so kept turning the wheel and eventually it started working again any thoughts on the Battery

I  wouldn't have thought a faulty Battery would cause power steering issues once the engine was running and the alternator delivering charge.

I'd begin by checking Battery voltage at rest. It should be at least 12.3 to 12.4 volts. Now turn headlights on and see how the voltage holds up. It should not go much below around 12.1 volts even leaving them on for several minutes. If the voltage falls quickly below this then the Battery is either discharged and/or faulty.

Start the engine and check the voltage is now around 14.40 volts. That voltage should hold up with headlights on. If it is OK then the alternator would appear basically OK. 

Check the alternator, if it's OK you have a parasitic draw like one of the interior lights is on