Do Not Sell My Personal Information

wash my car or not

marlinleg

Hello to one and all . Do to coronavirus and my car not being used . will my car exterior paint work benefit from a wash or will I leave  sat on the drive going nowhere . Thank you and stay safe 

sorry I will be hand washing my car on the drive 

I would say yes and apply some wax or sealant after.
I am waiting on Autoglym Magma (liquid clay) and a clay bar to arrive.
As I have a white car, the plan is:
Rinse with pressure washer
Snow Foam and rinse
Wash it with the micro fibre mitt, using two buckets
Rinse
Use tar remover to  clean tar spots
Rinse and dry with micro fibre cloth
Spray with Autoglym Magma to remove iron fallout, rinse. Use clay bar on stubborn spots
Rinse, then wash again
Rinse and dry with micro fibre cloth
Apply Collinite 845 sealant
Clean all external glass and apply rain repellent to all, but windscreen (wipers are smearing with it in my experience)

This happens twice a year. Car get regular quick wash about once a month. Use ph neutral shampoo/snow foam, so it does not strip the sealant/wax each time car is washed.

• Like 1

thank you rav4ster I hand wash every week using a lambs wool mitt and bit Hamber products 

• Like 2

bilt Hamber do this korrsol fall out remover

Yes your car will love a wash. 
I use Williams waterless Wash and Polish. It is on Ideal World tv now, now being 12:20 Tuesday lunchtime. Amazing stuff and very cost effective.                     
Go watch it.

• Like 1

Hi, I will do same soon even though my car is only slightly dusty, still clean since last proper cleaning 3 weeks ago. Don’t forget to drive around the house for few minutes to get brakes clean from rust otherwise with the car been not used rust can cause trouble. 
Regards 

• Like 1

Good point,Tony, about driving your car round the block to remove brake rust. In fact, left long enough your hand brake being applied for a long time can cause it to stick on. Often, when my car has been parked on the flat, I have left the hand brake off and parked in 1st gear. Obviously you have to be careful when you next get in the car to remember you are in gear and need to put hand brake on and put car into neutral, before starting.

• Like 1

My car is very dirty at the moment. Don't have a driveway and not parked right outside where I live, car wash places closed. So will have to wait till this lockdown is more relaxed. 

I drive at least once a week for shopping, what I find is if the weather has been wet, the handbrake/brakes makes a clunk noise when the car is moved after 4 days or more sitting. 

snowballs ref brakes making a noise after being parked for a long time  I was told “ now asbestos is no longer used in brake pads a bang can be heard when moving car after extended period parking “ asbestos stopped brake pads from sticking to disk when parked 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, snowBALLs said:

My car is very dirty at the moment. Don't have a driveway and not parked right outside where I live, car wash places closed. So will have to wait till this lockdown is more relaxed. 

I drive at least once a week for shopping, what I find is if the weather has been wet, the handbrake/brakes makes a clunk noise when the car is moved after 4 days or more sitting. 

Hi Snow, see my post a bit earlier Re Williams waterless wash/polish. The demo on tv shows them polishing a car without water. Williams has a surfactant in the product which lifts dirt and suspends it. The microfibre cloth obviously gets dirty so needs changing frequently. Today’s bundle on Ideal World was 4x 1 litre sprays and 20 microfibre cloths for £35 total.  Each 1 litre bottle would clean/polish your Yaris about 6 maybe more times, and a good single microfibre cloth would be couple pound, so it’s a very good bargain. I been using the stuff for over 10 years, no problems and beautiful polish.

23 minutes ago, marlinleg said:

snowballs ref brakes making a noise after being parked for a long time  I was told “ now asbestos is no longer used in brake pads a bang can be heard when moving car after extended period parking “ asbestos stopped brake pads from sticking to disk when parked 

That's not why asbestos was used in brakes.  But, now that they don't use it, there is more iron in brake pads.  It is that iron that sticks to the disc.

4 hours ago, Catlover said:

Good point,Tony, about driving your car round the block to remove brake rust. In fact, left long enough your hand brake being applied for a long time can cause it to stick on. Often, when my car has been parked on the flat, I have left the hand brake off and parked in 1st gear. Obviously you have to be careful when you next get in the car to remember you are in gear and need to put hand brake on and put car into neutral, before starting.

That’s right first gear or in P parking and no parking brake., today I didn’t wash but have done more important job., I had cleaned the Battery cooling fan. I will strongly recommend to every hybrid owner if the car is older than 4 years to check the cooling fan filter if there is one if not on older Prius, Auris hybrid just open and clean. It is very easy diy job, no special tools required. Here it is how and what I am talking about. 

My one was unbelievably clean for the car age and mileage but I had never had any pets in, and my car always been kept clean inside. If you have pets there is a chance some hair is already in the fan and can cause Battery overheating. Waiting for cloudy weather and will do wash and polish the car too. 
Regards 

Hi, I had done my car wash today, cleaned with tar and glue remover too but the sun has come up and no way I could continue with clay and polish, perhaps another job for tomorrow. Loved been outside and working on my car. 🌞🚙👌