Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust System Suggestions?

D.Lynch2000

Hi, I currently own a 1.4d4d 2012 Auris, as I am a young like I like to do bits and bobs to my car, im looking for suggestions for a louder exhaust system, possibly something that I can hear the turbo, but I have read that a dpf delete may be needed to achieve this sound, and apparently this doesn't go down great when remapping that.

thanks again for all help and suggestions.

Not to have a DPF is illegal, your car will fail its MOT, and if involved in an accident you insurers may well not pay out.

Why do you think the government introduced legislation such that DPF is fitted at manufacture.  While all the BREXIT talk was going on, one of the main things we heard was the future belongs to the young generation. You are of that young generation. Think it through.

• Like 4

A non resonated backbox should give you a louder sound without an MOT fail. Not sure where you’re from Declan so check with garage / insurance company.

An air induction kit would give you a more sporty sound from the front end too.

As Declan is a non UK member I’m not sure what the Brexit comment is all about?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Not to have a DPF is illegal, your car will fail its MOT, and if involved in an accident you insurers may well not pay out.

Why do you think the government introduced legislation such that DPF is fitted at manufacture.  While all the BREXIT talk was going on, one of the main things we heard was the future belongs to the young generation. You are of that young generation. Think it through.

I like what you said, but as the OP is non UK (I assume Ireland going by the name), he still needs to go by the rules of where he lives. The young generation want to do what they like, and rebel against the 'stuffy' rules. I personally wanted a smooth quiet car, a 'sleeper', with no outward signs it had performance. Never got it. Now I the only addition I have is the extra integrated USB/Bluetooth and Dashcam.
Louder exhaust bothers me. I replaced the exhaust on my previous Avensis, and it took time to adjust it to remove vibration and resonance that was going through the car. A late friend of mine put a loud exhaust on his car, and regretted it! The droning got tiring on long journeys. 

If the OP does go for the changes, he better make so he can revert back to original!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Changing the exhaust and intake back to original would be pretty simple providing original parts are kept.

These aren’t a modders car tbh, performance gains are minimal and costly compared to say the VAG TDis. Nothing wrong with wanting to change things though as long as it’s done safely and legally. OP just wanted info not opinion.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

no offence but this is 100% pointless change, no performance will be gained and no nicer sound too, it’s a small Diesel engine that it’s just fine to propel that  size of a car and been economical if you carefully drive it. This is by no mean any good idea , if at least was 1.6 or 1.8 petrol, even hybrid will suit more larger exhaust for sound and a horse power or two on top., but diesel will simply sound like agricultural machine without any improvement in performance. You can do whatever you like with your car but think twice before you go ahead. Imo better save your money and change the car in near future, You can get a Mitsubishi Lancer sport 2.0 , same engine as EVO but no turbo , and if you like to mode it you can slowly transform the lancer sport into an home made evo 9. 
Regards 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrZardoz said:

A non resonated backbox should give you a louder sound without an MOT fail. Not sure where you’re from Declan so check with garage / insurance company.

The future belongs to the younger generation what ever country from. Having a responsible attitude will help the future be better, for all. I not sure of this, but I would think DPF is applicable throughout the EU and beyond maybe. Its to do with air quality isn't it.

• Like 2

Absolutely agree that small performance gains at the detriment of air quality is ridiculous. Tbh the sooner we can all afford to switch to EPVs the better. Bags more torque too 🙂

• Thanks 1

A cat back will not hurt if you just want sound, i know what the Guarda and ministry are like over there with diesels, Do you really want the attention

Fox exhausts do the twin pipe rear boxes, but they are not cheap at £400 upwards, A fujitsubo cat back will set you back £1000 or more, a rear box only is around 60-80K YEN (£5-600)

Each to their own, it's up to the op if they want to personalize their vehicle

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2020 at 10:56 AM, TonyHSD said:

Hi,

no offence but this is 100% pointless change, no performance will be gained and no nicer sound too, it’s a small Diesel engine that it’s just fine to propel that  size of a car and been economical if you carefully drive it. This is by no mean any good idea , if at least was 1.6 or 1.8 petrol, even hybrid will suit more larger exhaust for sound and a horse power or two on top., but diesel will simply sound like agricultural machine without any improvement in performance. You can do whatever you like with your car but think twice before you go ahead. Imo better save your money and change the car in near future, You can get a Mitsubishi Lancer sport 2.0 , same engine as EVO but no turbo , and if you like to mode it you can slowly transform the lancer sport into an home made evo 9. 
Regards 

What you said about having a noisy exhaust on a Hybrid, fascinates me Tony! Imagine gliding up to a group on the pavement in EV mode... then flooring it , with the ICE fireing up and hitting 5000+ revs! A bit of fun, and a lot of hate on the local social media site! Has anyone done this? Never heard of a hybrid with a modified noisy exhaust! 

• Haha 1

I know a guy with a rx400h.When he bought it he knew the exhaust was failing, and made his offer accordingly. But instead of buying a lexus exhaust system, he got a s/s system made from the cat back. It sounds lovely being a v6.

• Thanks 1

Hi,  I personally don’t like noise from cars unless they are Supra, GTR or Evo, or at least a Golf R, but was wondering before how cool would be indeed. For the 2.0 GR or Excel will suit the look of the car . There are many tuned Priuses in the net , not here in UK perhaps but US and Asia for sure. Some of them has larger exhaust, seen pictures accidentally  when been looking for some info regarding repairs. If you check you may find something, but remember you car is new and warranty might be an issue. Regards 👍🚙

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/8/2020 at 9:22 AM, MrZardoz said:

Hi, thanks for the helpful reply, I am leaving dpf and all in the car but removing the cat like you suggested, a custom dual exit exhaust and a dummy cat fitted from a professional exhaust fabricators, also if you have any suggestions for new air intake kits I'd be grateful, thanks

On 4/8/2020 at 8:08 AM, Catlover said:

As I agree with your point about the future belongs to the youth, I have to add that it is illegal to drive a car with no dpf on a public road, majority of diesel racecars dont have dpf as they are used on privatise tracks.

On 4/8/2020 at 10:56 AM, TonyHSD said:

Hi,

That's your opinion i suppose, but I'm young, theres people with smaller engined cars that modify them in this way too, it's just tradition among young car enthusiasts in Ireland, thanks 

I get you're young, I was once too.

Until recently I had a (non-Toyota) diesel hot hatch which had off the shelf exhaust options from Milltek etc ... and wouldn't have dreamt about putting a system on it. So why anyone would want to on a 1.4 D4D baffles me, young or otherwise! It's not a performance engine and the turbo and emissions kit muffles most of the character from the exhaust note. Save your money towards a car with more performance.

I sincerely doubt there's any off the shelf sports exhaust kits for a 1.4 D4D - the market for it would be tiny!

1 hour ago, D.Lynch2000 said:

Hi, thanks for the helpful reply, I am leaving dpf and all in the car but removing the cat like you suggested, a custom dual exit exhaust and a dummy cat fitted from a professional exhaust fabricators, also if you have any suggestions for new air intake kits I'd be grateful, thanks

There’s some info in this thread: 

It’s all a lot of outlay for little gain and in some cases the air filter can actually reduce performance, not to mention the brands like K&N have an oiled filament that can mess up MAF sensors etc.

For the money (and what I plan for my 1.6 petrol) is to leave the engine as is and spend only on the handling. Eibach (or H&R) springs, spacers and some decent rubber. Get the most out of what’s there.

If you wanted some boy racer noise from the intake, buy a 2nd hand intake cover and drill some holes in it 😄

• Thanks 1