Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to change Front Brake Pads?

Waqs

Toyota Avensis TR MK2 2007 2.0d4d

Hi everyone,

Hope your all doing well and keeping busy at home during this Covid 19.

I need some help/guidance please if possible, I have the above Motor and I will need step by step instructions on how to change the front brake pads please. I have all the basic tools, so I am hoping I will be able to do this easily as I am a DIY man when I want to be :biggrin:.

All help pics and instructions will be much appreciated.

p.s. I also have an oil filter need changing but I do not have the (cup) tool to remove old one. If any other ways of doing this please share with me :happy:..

Thank you in advance.

I fitted new disc and pads to mine last here.

The caliper bolts are 13mm.

Here are the pictures, they might be of some help.

You'll be able to change the oil filter without the cup, a big pair of grips does it, too.

43 minutes ago, Waqs said:

Toyota Avensis TR MK2 2007 2.0d4d

Hi everyone,

Hope your all doing well and keeping busy at home during this Covid 19.

I need some help/guidance please if possible, I have the above Motor and I will need step by step instructions on how to change the front brake pads please. I have all the basic tools, so I am hoping I will be able to do this easily as I am a DIY man when I want to be :biggrin:.

All help pics and instructions will be much appreciated.

p.s. I also have an Oil filter need changing but I do not have the (cup) tool to remove old one. If any other ways of doing this please share with me :happy:..

Thank you in advance.

Just Google how to change front brake pads Toyota and also oil filter it will show you in film how to.

Be sure to clean and lightly lubricate the slide pins. Check for damage to rubber parts.

Thank you for your prompt replys.

Is it a must to use Copper grease? If so can I use anything else instead as all shops are closed where I am located.

Order some Ceratec from Eurocarparts or somewhere. Or use copper grease. That can be messy stuff, though. The spray-on stuff needs to be well shaken for a good few minutes before use. Watch a few general brake job videos from somewhere like South Main Auto. That guy knows what he's doing, and generally explains well.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/pagid-ceratec-brake-lube-75ml-grease-526770250

https://www.screwfix.com/p/3-in-1-oil-anti-seize-copper-grease-300ml/79048?_requestid=1154823

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtAGzm9e_liY7ko1PBhzTHA/search?query=front+brakes

There is no need to use copper grease (it's not grease in any case) on brakes. 

The only part that needs lubrication is the slider pins.  New cars don't come with their brakes covered with any type of grease and if the job is done properly, it should be like a new car.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stivino said:

The only part that needs lubrication is the slider pins.  New cars don't come with their brakes covered with any type of grease and if the job is done properly, it should be like a new 

Sorry to sound dumb but is there any chance of you sending me a pic of this location? As I have never changed pads before.

The slider pins are housed in the pencilled area.  The end can be seen behind the rubber bellows.

slide pins.jpg

Watch some good youtube videos on it before you even take the wheel off.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 11:56 PM, Stivino said:

The only part that needs lubrication is the slider pins.  New cars don't come with their brakes covered with any type of grease and if the job is done properly, it should be like a new 

Sorry to sound dumb but is there any chance of you sending me a pic of this location? As I have never changed pads before.

Thanks all for your helpful replies. I will make an attempt on this now (wish me good luck) 😉

4 hours ago, Waqs said:

Thanks all for your helpful replies. I will make an attempt on this now (wish me good luck) 😉

If you are not 100% confident then I would try to find a friend who has done brake work before to watch over you whilst you do the job.  Its not the kind of job you want to get wrong!

Keep any lubricants away from the friction surfaces.  Toyotas are prone to the slide pins sticking (usually when a rubber boot has been damaged) so check the caliper 'floats' freely and carefully inspect the little rubber 'bellows'. Slide pins should be lubricated with a non-mineral grease (e.g. silicone grease). Copper grease is an anti-seize compound, not a lubricant. You can optionally use it on the narrow edges of the pads where they slide in the calipers (to prevent the pads from sticking in the calipers). Keep any mineral oil based lubricant off rubber brake parts because it will degrade the rubber over time.

Waqs, how did the changing of front pads go? If you have the Haynes manual for the T22 Avensis it is very well described in that book. The brakes are a very vital part of the car. If you are not 100% sure how to do it, don't do it.

Here is a transfer link to a pdf from Toyota Avensis workshop manual showing all the components and torques used to the front brakes. It is also arrows that show where to put special brake grease.

https://www.dropbox.com/transfer/AAAAAMOuZyygI_RF9JFbE8E9jufkWTP_GSylgLc6sjHOE2GowOamTN4

On 4/8/2020 at 11:56 PM, Stivino said:

The only part that needs lubrication is the slider pins.  New cars don't come with their brakes covered with any type of grease and if the job is done properly, it should be like a new car.

Hi,

I also don’t like cooper grease anywhere around the brakes on wheels but some new cars actually do come with cooper grease on the pads , and this is Toyota GT86 I checked out in March just before the lockdown I was in Toyota dealer to get some parts and while waiting I did walk around the new cars, sat inside and that time was the gt86, then I checked the brakes and to my surprise I had see cooper grease on the each end of the brake pads, front and rear,  then I went to check Supra there was not, Corolla could not actually see properly but for the gt86 I am positive. Brand new car in the showroom, not even number plates yet Installed. 
Regards 

Hi all,

Well where do I start from lol, I attempted to change the Pads but could not take off the caliber bolt 13mm! I tried with many Spanners/adjustable etc and no joy. My hands are also actually killing me with the amount of force I tried with (also used WD40)😔.

However, I managed to service the car. The Oil Filter was undone easily. I also changed the lights from HID to the normal H7 bulbs. Also had to change the brake light bulb.

You only need to remove the bottom bolt, the caliper will then swing up to reveal the pads.

The bolt is going to be tight so, you'll need to use a decent socket because you don't want to round off the head.

I like to use a six point socket (single hex) to make sure that I get it first time.

• Like 2

Yes that is correct, I only attempted to remove the bottom bolt but has been an absolute nightmare. Seems like I will just to make a trip to the Mechanic.

That sounds strange those bolts have only 30 Nm in torque.

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi,

I also don’t like cooper grease anywhere around the brakes on wheels but some new cars actually do come with cooper grease on the pads , and this is Toyota GT86 I checked out in March just before the lockdown I was in Toyota dealer to get some parts and while waiting I did walk around the new cars, sat inside and that time was the gt86, then I checked the brakes and to my surprise I had see cooper grease on the each end of the brake pads, front and rear,  then I went to check Supra there was not, Corolla could not actually see properly but for the gt86 I am positive. Brand new car in the showroom, not even number plates yet Installed. 
Regards 

I can 100% guarantee you that the GT86 did not leave the factory with copper grease on the brakes. No manufacturer has ever used copper grease on brakes - its a practice that comes from old-time mechanics.

Copper grease is powdered copper mixed with bentone clay and oils.  When powdered copper comes into contact with cast aluminium it generates a significant electrochemical potential of about 0.6V.  If an electrolyte is available (like salty road water in winter) the aluminium will therefore dissolve into the copper grease.  Manufacturers specifically advise against using copper grease on brakes because many brake parts (and wheels) are made from aluminium. The mineral oil also attacks brake rubbers. There are special brake greases that are based on ceramic powders and silicone oils - they do not conduct electricity and they work up to very high temperatures.

Realistically you are unlikely to cause problems with a small amount of copper grease on the ears of the pads - but you won't find it in use in a car factory. Its correct use is on exhaust fasteners etc.

It certainly doesn't come from "old-time mechanics".  I would have got a severe boot up the arris if I had been caught using it on brakes.

15 minutes ago, Stivino said:

It certainly doesn't come from "old-time mechanics".  I would have got a severe boot up the arris if I had been caught using it on brakes.

It certainly does!  My grandfather started his garage business in the late 1920's and it was continued by my father in the 1960's.  As a youngster I spent a lot of time in the workshop (this is 50+ years ago, when H&S was in its infancy). There was always a tub of Duckhams copper grease on the shop floor and used to get smeared on brake parts during overhauls because there wasn't anything better. This was common at the time but the practice is gradually dying out with the introduction of modern brake greases like CeraTec.

That might have been your experience but, it certainly wasn't mine.

Ok, I respect each and everyone’s opinion and experience, however I saw it with my eyes cooper grease applied on pads ears same as some old mechanics been putting when changing the brake pads , this is on brand new car  GT86 In Toyota showroom, I was shocked when I saw it but I am 100% sure it was a cooper grease, same colour like the one I have in my tool box, If it wasn’t a cooper grease what can it be then?