Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Estima Hybrid - Initial check VSC 4WD message when starting engine (イニシャル チェック VSC 4WD)

Suchuwato

Greetings - first time post - looking to tap the experience of other Estima Hybrid owners.  I just got my 2008 Estima Hybrid E Four G Edition (72K miles) at the start of March and so haven't had the opportunity to get out and about and acquaint myself as much I would have liked / had intended to - (one 4 hr drive and couple of local leisurely drives and the rest just going to work - before recent events).  Save to say they are fantastic cars.

Having moved from a 2006 BWM MINI ONE- it is a very large step up in terms of spec and facilities all of which i getting use to - automatic parallel parking and the like etc (there again bluetooth and push start buttons are new to me as well!)

My question relates to a message which is momentarily displayed on the multi information display (where the Tetris style graphic show the power direction) - only when I turn of the engine.  See the attached video
No warnings lights or other messages have displayed during driving.

It displays the following message for a second -
イニシャル チェック VSC 4WD - which translates as “Initial Check VSC 4WD”. 
Background Info - I replaced the auxiliary Battery with a like for like OEM Panasonic Battery (which I managed to source from the local Lexus hybrid centre, using the Toyota parts number)- as the previous one was near the end of its life. Additionally, I have had the car serviced and an oil change.

I don’t have a recollection of this message before that  - but being new to the car perhaps i didn't notice it?  So since becoming aware of it - want to understand it

In any case, the car starts and drives without issue.  The hybrid Battery charges and retains charge.  EV Mode functions, power steering & handling excellent etc. 
My wife is Japanese and I speak Japanese - and can read a little. So checking the Japanese language manuals that came with the car and an english translation of the manual which I got from New Zealand.  There is no mention of this message /  is not highlighted as a maintenance matter. 
According to the manuals, Error Messages relating to the VSC and 4WD would state システムチェック (translates to System Check) and would be accompanied by a 'pon' sound and -system dependent- the Master Warning (triangle with an exclamation mark) would turn on or flash.

So my question is.
Is this;
A) “standard” - something that appears every time the / your car is started?  IE It is doing what it states - doing an initial check of the system(s) for any errors?

B) “a problem” - it stating there is an issue with either the Vehicle stability control or/and the 4WD - or some other malady?

C) “something that needs to be reset” following the installation of the new auxiliary battery?  Anyone have experience in doing that?

Any advice - comparable experience grateful received

IMG_7506.JPG

Welcome Stuart...and the ONE thing I can say is they are indeed fantasic vehicles..after that.?..well, yours is far to "Star Trek" for me..lol

I have a Mark II...no hybrid and therefore no experience of the things you mention.....just my trusty1MZ-FE. V6 lump....hopefully someone will be able to help.

Had mine for nearly 4 years and absolutely delighted with it still...utterly reliable and still a joy to drive.

Must be like driving a bus compared to your previous car,..lol..enjoy.

• Like 1

Yes i suppose an apt metaphor would be like swapping a Messerschmitt for a Dreamliner or more appropriately the MRJ90.  
I had looked seriously at getting a Nissan Elgrand and tried out a couple but they were so big and just a little .... something - if i had a band or was a surfer - definitely would go for an Elgrand.  However as soon as I sat in the Estima, immediately knew it was exactly what I looking for- head turned instantly - refined, elegant, the right proportions and ergonomics, quite luxurious comfort, and everything quite intuitive. 
Was in Japan last year looking at appropriate cars for my wife - went to Suzuki dealer/garage to see about a kei car- asked the mechanic about reliability etc of the various brands and even he said (having previously worked at Toyota) the Toyota is top, for build quality and component reliability.

• Like 1

Sorry I can't help you with your issue either. But I agree with all you have said about the Estima though. By the way welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

if i had to guess is Going to be the Battery you fitted ! had the same problem on my Lexus for some reason it didn't like aftermarket Battery think it was something to do with the amp hour rating 

On 4/8/2020 at 6:33 PM, Suchuwato said:

Greetings - first time post - looking to tap the experience of other Estima Hybrid owners.  I just got my 2008 Estima Hybrid E Four G Edition (72K miles) at the start of March and so haven't had the opportunity to get out and about and acquaint myself as much I would have liked / had intended to - (one 4 hr drive and couple of local leisurely drives and the rest just going to work - before recent events).  Save to say they are fantastic cars.

Having moved from a 2006 BWM MINI ONE- it is a very large step up in terms of spec and facilities all of which i getting use to - automatic parallel parking and the like etc (there again bluetooth and push start buttons are new to me as well!)

My question relates to a message which is momentarily displayed on the multi information display (where the Tetris style graphic show the power direction) - only when I turn of the engine.  See the attached video
No warnings lights or other messages have displayed during driving.

It displays the following message for a second -
イニシャル チェック VSC 4WD - which translates as “Initial Check VSC 4WD”. 
Background Info - I replaced the auxiliary battery with a like for like OEM Panasonic battery (which I managed to source from the local Lexus hybrid centre, using the Toyota parts number)- as the previous one was near the end of its life. Additionally, I have had the car serviced and an oil change.

I don’t have a recollection of this message before that  - but being new to the car perhaps i didn't notice it?  So since becoming aware of it - want to understand it

In any case, the car starts and drives without issue.  The hybrid battery charges and retains charge.  EV Mode functions, power steering & handling excellent etc. 
My wife is Japanese and I speak Japanese - and can read a little. So checking the Japanese language manuals that came with the car and an english translation of the manual which I got from New Zealand.  There is no mention of this message /  is not highlighted as a maintenance matter. 
According to the manuals, Error Messages relating to the VSC and 4WD would state システムチェック (translates to System Check) and would be accompanied by a 'pon' sound and -system dependent- the Master Warning (triangle with an exclamation mark) would turn on or flash.

So my question is.
Is this;
A) “standard” - something that appears every time the / your car is started?  IE It is doing what it states - doing an initial check of the system(s) for any errors?

B) “a problem” - it stating there is an issue with either the Vehicle stability control or/and the 4WD - or some other malady?

C) “something that needs to be reset” following the installation of the new auxiliary battery?  Anyone have experience in doing that?

Any advice - comparable experience grateful received

IMG_7506.JPG

Hello mate. You getting similar message because when you replaced Battery you put it one withOut temperature sensor. Because on our vehicles Battery is located inside the car , computer monitors small Battery temperature for safety. If you still have your old battery, remove from it sensor and fix to the new one. After it’s done, message will disappear. But your message it’s a standard and all good. This message appears every time you start the engine.  Another error message you getting on the radio is ETC system, as that system is used only in Japan for toll roads.

Edited by Ruslan
  • Like 1

All, many thanks for your various responses.

Ruslan, based off your comment;"But your message it’s a standard and all good. This message appears every time you start the engine."
Presume this to be directly in response to my query concerning the message  イニシャル チェック VSC 4WD - this gives me comfort.  I have also seen some other youtube videos of people starting up their Estima Hybrids from the driver viewpoint and have noticed the message appear on their cars also. 

To answer my own query the answer appears to be:
A) "standard" something that appears every time the / your car is started?

For my own benefit as much as anyone else.  I re read the instruction manual and noted that - as standard- a number of warning lights appear for a few seconds on the dash - including the VSC and 4WD (which appear) to not have a dedicated the dash symbol -only appearing on the multi information display panel.

445496194_ScreenShot2020-04-14at13_03_44.thumb.png.f9f9de2c0f027b49aeae592793a31954.png681420396_ScreenShot2020-04-14at13_19_54.thumb.png.945da7d962aa340238e82d927d93695b.png

In relation to the replacement/new Auxiliary Battery - if the イニシャル チェック VSC 4WD message is in fact a problem. I can confidently dispel the auxiliary Battery as being the cause.
As correctly pointed out the auxiliary Battery is situated within the cabin and therefore requires a temperature sensor and an exhaust to outside air. If a battery does not have these - battery error messages will illuminate on the dash.  The auxiliary battery fitted to the estima hybrid in the factory is a;

Panasonic (Matsu****a) S55D23L Battery  -  Toyota Model Part number 2880-28070  (see photo)
Both the local lexus and toyota hybrid garages were able to source a like for like genuine OEM replacement battery from the Toyota Parts number (FYOI cost  £200) - which is what i installed
I can recommend the following website as a very useful source of information - it has various system diagrams and part numbers https://jp-carparts.com/toyota/figlist.php?maker=toyota&type=656150&cartype=4

image002.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 13.21.55.png

• Like 2

I was panicking myself when that message appeared first time, but after googling it’s become clear that it’s not the problem. Also have found a chat only about AHR20 on WhatsApp and there is about 80 crazy people who ready to talk about our Estima 24/7.

Just e few photos of what I already done to my Estima.A6E04989-986B-4677-AFF8-0A331C0963E7.thumb.jpeg.6996ac5931a33bd70ef6c49c7d23d79b.jpeg725A08C0-B834-4DFC-8CAB-A58888006B54.thumb.jpeg.a04db8f852763e006616f9b54f20e957.jpegF3A9126E-EA2E-4229-9CA4-D642517C01A1.thumb.jpeg.40cee7d96eebc3f7ab5426b2f5915ff3.jpegE1BB391A-D9F0-400B-8017-DE6CFC194C84.thumb.jpeg.4dfe1c080c717557f8e671b32f92a692.jpeg6A6138AF-6FA1-4DDB-9B16-B7ED65AEB063.thumb.jpeg.8f03efee6bc330b14a7c78ae3cce9639.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Also have found a chat only about AHR20 on WhatsApp and there is about 80 crazy people who ready to talk about our Estima 24/7.

No surprise...they are such a superb vehicle...for my money, the best of it's type.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hi Ruslan, nice looking Estima. It's good that yourself and Suchuwato have got things sorted.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TP49 said:

Hi Ruslan, nice looking Estima. It's good that yourself and Suchuwato have got things sorted.

Thanks mate 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/14/2020 at 1:41 PM, Suchuwato said:

All, many thanks for your various responses.

Ruslan, based off your comment;"But your message it’s a standard and all good. This message appears every time you start the engine."
Presume this to be directly in response to my query concerning the message  イニシャル チェック VSC 4WD - this gives me comfort.  I have also seen some other youtube videos of people starting up their Estima Hybrids from the driver viewpoint and have noticed the message appear on their cars also. 

To answer my own query the answer appears to be:
A) "standard" something that appears every time the / your car is started?

For my own benefit as much as anyone else.  I re read the instruction manual and noted that - as standard- a number of warning lights appear for a few seconds on the dash - including the VSC and 4WD (which appear) to not have a dedicated the dash symbol -only appearing on the multi information display panel.

445496194_ScreenShot2020-04-14at13_03_44.thumb.png.f9f9de2c0f027b49aeae592793a31954.png681420396_ScreenShot2020-04-14at13_19_54.thumb.png.945da7d962aa340238e82d927d93695b.png

In relation to the replacement/new Auxiliary Battery - if the イニシャル チェック VSC 4WD message is in fact a problem. I can confidently dispel the auxiliary battery as being the cause.
As correctly pointed out the auxiliary battery is situated within the cabin and therefore requires a temperature sensor and an exhaust to outside air. If a battery does not have these - battery error messages will illuminate on the dash.  The auxiliary battery fitted to the estima hybrid in the factory is a;

Panasonic (Matsu****a) S55D23L Battery  -  Toyota Model Part number 2880-28070  (see photo)
Both the local lexus and toyota hybrid garages were able to source a like for like genuine OEM replacement battery from the Toyota Parts number (FYOI cost  £200) - which is what i installed
I can recommend the following website as a very useful source of information - it has various system diagrams and part numbers https://jp-carparts.com/toyota/figlist.php?maker=toyota&type=656150&cartype=4

image002.png

Does anyone know what the red car light with a exclamation mark through it is for

image.thumb.png.419466ca54af2c6ecf7cdb2dd79b6901.png

• 1 month later...

thanks for all your help.  as i don't understand japanese does anyone know what all the dials which go up and down are.  the one on far left is petro. next to it is how much petrol is being guzzled per mile,  but the three dials on the right of the speedometer.  i can't work them out.

thanks so much

• 3 weeks later...

There is an app google translate you can use and it will translate it just hold put the camera on your mobile and magic 

• 2 years later...

Hi all.  I’m a happy owner of Toyota Previa / Estima 2.4L Hybrid E - Fours S 2007.  Start driving it around mid October 2023. After the 2 days of driving the - VSC check - hybrid system check - ( translated from Japanese) came up. Brought the car to the mechanic, he checked it & said hybrid Battery is dead. He knocked out, saying I’ll need a new hybrid Battery. Since I’m driving the car the issue came up around 5-6 time, but by time did observe the hybrid Battery is working much better the previously & the fuel consumption is going down. At the very beginning the fuel consumption was 12km / Liter average speed 100km / h & now is 13.6 km / Liter same, average speed 100km / h .( some time is going over 13.9km/L , 14.7kn/L). Car been sitting at least for 5 months. Do you believe/ think the error on the hybrid side is because the car was sitting / wasn’t on the road for at least 5months and the hybrid battery is drained/ completely dead & by driving the car now will improve the hybrid battery performance? Or do I have yo but a brand new hybrid battery ? Does anybody have any experience ? Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks

IMG_6925.png

IMG_6924.png

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links