Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota: advice on 12v battery maintenance

FROSTYBALLS

Sorry but it won’t work. The USB voltage is stepped down to 5v through a transformer so won’t give you the Battery voltage. Surprised your Yaris hasn’t a cigarette lighter socket 

56 minutes ago, JackieP said:

Oh no. Just checked the car and it doesn't have a cigarette lighter 😫. It only has a USB port. I'll try and find one with a USB plug. Got all excited then.

Are you sure your car doesn’t have a socket. If you have a look at the picture below taken from the Toyota site there appears to be a socket ( with cover ) arrow Ed

2D7FBDFD-9F27-4919-8AE7-88B891A0DA92.jpeg

The picture below is the dashboard from the 3rd generation Yaris (2011-2020)

image.png.0f5b3cae7d90cf35c9d80fc74ec7da6f.png

This second image is for the current Yaris (2020 onwards) which is the model Jackie has.

image.thumb.png.97f52c3749498acaa90df2efc2ba09d0.png

Yep that's correct Frostyballs and I can't find a cigarette lighter. I've ordered the USB voltmeter from Amazon as shown and keeping my fingers crossed that its the right thing. Thanks for all your help guys.

Frostyballs

Thanks for posting the correct image. 

Oh drats Robo1. I've ordered that now and it's no good. Is there anything that I can use with only having a USB? Is there a different meter or an adapter I could use?

The RAV has a socket in the boot area. Don’t know if the Yaris has one.

only other way I could suggest ( unless others have ideas) is you could buy a multimeter and check the voltage across the Battery. Clearly this isn’t as easy as using the cigarette socket. 

Not easy as the Battery is under the back seat. I'm not even sure how to access it. I'll have a good search but don't think I have one unfortunately. Shame as that would have been so easy to use the cigarette lighter. I think its a bit of a design fault IMO 😕. Perhaps I could get a cigarette lighter fitted somewhere 🤔

You could use the jump starter terminal under the bonnet. See attached photo of the Yaris manual. The multimeter would be where the Battery is shown.When you get your trickle charger you will have to do this unless Mr T is putting a socket hard wired to the Battery.

FEC2FA8B-F461-47F1-85C5-023D07234133.jpeg

Yay guys, I've found the cigarette lighter. It's beneath the USB port in the back of the little cubby hole storage. It has a black cover so can't be seen unless you hang upside down. It's pretty inaccessible set about 1" from the top and side and recessed several inches. Hoping I can find some sort of extension for it as don't think the plug in cigarette lighter voltmeter will fit. Amazon here I come 🤞

Robo1. Yes Toyota are supposed to be hardwiring a socket for me but hoping I can find an extension to put in my cigarette lighter so I can revisit your original suggestion of the voltmeter. I would be a lot happier if I can quickly check the Battery before setting off and charge as and when required. Thank you so much for all your help. I'll let you know how it goes 🤞

Excellent. A lot easier to check. Plenty of cigarette lighter extenders and splitters listed.

Robo1. Yay all ordered from Amazon and arriving Sunday. Hopefully will all work fine and I will be able to monitor my Battery health whenever I use the car. You have no idea how relieved and grateful I feel. Thank you so much for responding 🙂

👏

ps. When you check the voltage you want the car to be in ‘accessory’ mode ( press start button but not press brake) rather than ready mode. Apologies if you know this already.

Thanks Robo1. I didn't know that. I've never heard of accessory mode. I would have done it in ready mode. Can I leave the voltmeter plugged in all the time or would that damage it. I'm assuming I can as the one I've ordered which I posted the link to has a phone charging point on it. I think I need lessons for newbie hybrid owners 🤔

Yes you can keep it plugged in as it also has USB sockets. It will switch off when you stop the engine as the cigarette socket is only powered when the hybrid is switched on. 

CTEK 5 works brilliantly....using the Battery terminals of the Gen 4, plus a house 3 pin extension lead, somehow crammmed under the bonnet.

left for 6 weeks with a trip to India 2019, and the unit reads all the way up to the Green conditioning light....never gets there with normal daily use.

recommended!

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest things is remove the FUSE for the Auxiliary body (remotes and interior lights will not work) if you ever want to leave the car for 2-3 months. 

• 3 weeks later...

Frosty has it covered mostly.Pity more info wasn't out there at the start,

me as a flintstone tried leaving it  on tickover,haha 20 mins later,dead as a dodo.

AA got it going but not enough driving,it flattened again.

my input is that,having a slow last mile home uses up the high voltage Battery,so theres not much left to keep 12volt topped up,when it is low all wierd stuff ,like alarm twittering,[didn't know it had one]

So many flat Battery posts, difficult to find where to post!

Anyway the car went in for a Battery check this morning.  4 hours later returned with a new Battery as the original failed its test.  👨

Just checked, bigger battery too, the original was 45 A/Hr this is 52 A/Hr which is a significant increase in capacity.

Just got my Housesweet Jump Starter from Amazon.  Here is my first impression report:

It is exceptionally neat.  The front and back of the Battery case are a hard black crackle finish.  The surround is bright chrome finish.  On the front is a small metal label 'Jump Starter' and 4 pin holes for the power level, one for each 25% of charge. It came with a 25% charge. 
On the top are a USB output socket, a 12v socket for the car, this is covered with a plastic protective cover and in between is an LED.  The LED can act as a torch, as a flashing signal or to send SOS.
On the side is a micro USB output socket and a multifunction on/off power button for the lamp.
It comes in a semi rigid case, zipped shut or opens flat.  On one side is the two booster cables with substantial clips and a short cable terminating in a female plug.  There is also a multipurpose USB cable for charge a phone or similar with a micro USB, USC C and an Apple connector.  Like the booster cables these are short.
The other half of the case has a netted compartment for the Battery pack.  The two halves are divided by a soft pad.
The one thing omitted is a charging cable for the Battery, but any USM micro cable will suffice.
Unknowns are how long it will take to reach full capacity and how well it works as a jumper starter.
I bought it after a series of flat car batteries however my garage changed the battery for a new one yesterday. 

• Like 1

Further to my report above, The charge LEDs were one steady red and one flashing red when I put it on charge.  Shortly after that the 3rd lit up flashing blue and after less than 4 hours the 4th became steady blue.  The lights obviously signify 25% charge increments with blue as OK and red, below 50%.