Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Replace Passenger Side Window Switch on Mk2 Auris

jb000

Hello.

New member here.  I noticed 2 very deep scratches/gouges on the black plastic of the passenger side window switch.  I think it was caused by a recent passenger with a ring on their little finger which has scratched the plastic.  The scratches are far too deep to be buffed out and sanding them down would make it worse.  I was hopping mad when I discovered it as the car is immaculate otherwise.

I have just bought a replacement part from that well known auction site and my question is this.  Can this part be replaced without having to remove the full door card, as I would not feel confident in doing this.  Is there any clip that I can lift to remove the panel.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.  Many thanks.

These things often need you to be sat in front of them to figure out... however the replacement switch should give you a good visual clue as to how it is secured. Look for tabs that would respond to being judiciously prised to release the original. Be sure to use cardboard or similar to protect the surface you are prising against.

Unclipping a door card is usually straightforward if it comes to that. Look for hidden screws behind handles etc first and before prising. Lots of videos on U Tube, 

Many thanks for response.  I will check the tabs as soon as it arrives. 

This picture is off an eBay one, like yours.

542374312_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.b969d56955b48aa5c955a737e00346d8.jpg

As Mooly says, the white peg in the bottom left hand corner is meant to be easily withdrawn, so I'd try that corner first.  The top has a large clip, so that should be withdrawn downwards, and last, else it might break off!  The other clips all look similar, so no obvious order that I can see from this picture.

If you do remove the door card, then rest assured that it is quite easy and straightforward.  I've done this a couple of times on that specific door on an Auris.  The only screws are underneath the top cover of the grab handle (which is held on with clips and need pulling off in the direction of the driver) and a screw that is concealed under an easily lifted black plastic circular cover (1cm) in the centre of the internal door lever trim.  At its front edge the cover has a slight rebate where you can insert something to pry it open, but it is a very loose fit - no effort at all is needed for that.

The tweeter speaker is basically a push-on fit with two tiny plastic lugs, no effort to pull this off.

The pop-off clips around the door card edge are best done by pulling the door card from the bottom, there is a an area along the bottom of the door where your fingers can get into to get a grip on this.

The weight of the door card is then being carried by the trim that engages into the window aperture.  You can lift the whole door card up and off to disengage this from the door.

Then detach the door lock bowden cables and the window switch loom form the switch (can be a bit fiddly to find the connector engagement tang).  This last bit is easier if there is someone else to assist whilst you examine the details of the cables and connector.

If you are looking to do this then I might have a photo or two to explain it better.

HTH.

Yes, that is the same part.  I was thinking that it would have to clip off somehow even if you do remove the door card.  If I have no other option than to remove the door card, then so be it, but It is something that I really wanted to avoid if I could help it.  I will use a pallet knife with some cardboard to see if I can gently flip that white catch.  If not, then the cover will have to come off.

This is the example that I have bought.  The yellowish clip seems more accessible on this one. 

Switch.jpg

Use a plastic trim tool pry the rear and work around the edge if needed, you need to remove the window switch to remove the door card anyway

be aware there are 2 types of switch the standard one and the illuminated auto switch (multiplexed wiring)

ps. the yellow peg is a push fitting it just pulls up

this is for lhd but it will give you a rough idea

Click to enlarge

1181559089_mk2aurispws.thumb.JPG.7faab48420f1ea854d1bfe6a0080bd20.JPG

The switch came from exactly the same car model and year so hopefully everything is OK there.  Once the switch arrives, I will get a plastic trim tool from the motor factors or failing that, Halfords so I can do job properly.  Many thanks to all who have responded.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links