Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A used Auris is hard to sell?

nielshm

I've had my Corolla for 5 months now, traded in my 3,5 years old Auris with 65.000 miles on the clock. 

It has just been sold, 5 months, thats a long time, since the dealer has contacts every where. I'm happy I didn't try to sell it my self, it would has been at a much lower price. 

Have you experienced something similar trying to sell your old car? 

At the moment there would be a snowballs chance in hell of selling.

I'm lazy though and taken the financial hit of trading in for a few years.

The dealer puts a markup on the trade in value, so I think it depends on how good for value to a potential customer, the car appears.

I am within a few miles travelling distance between 3 main Toyota dealers. When I've been searching for a used Aygo, models of equilavent spec, age and mileage, can have wildly different selling prices at different dealers.

Could be a good time to buy a car though once coronavirus restrictions eased

1 minute ago, Rolando1 said:

Could be a good time to buy a car though once coronavirus restrictions eased

I agree, dealers are gonna want to make up for lost time. I would expect some nice discounts 😀

I'm not sure if the recent spate of catalytic converter thefts will have affect second hand sales of Hybrids, although reports of the thefts seem to have died down in recent weeks, even before the Coronavirus thing took off.

A number of owners, especially those who'd been hit twice, were saying they would get rid of their Hybrids, and at least one found his insurance went up so much after his 2nd hit he had to give up driving!

May be wrong, but from memory did the OP not have a 1.2T Auris, not a hybrid?

A dealer's price often includes the cost of a service including the equivalent of the MOT, used car preparation (valet, smart repairs, etc), warranty, etc as well as their profit.

4 weeks ago i traded in our 13 plate auris hybrid with 35000 miles and given a p/x of £8500

quiet happy with the trade in wasn't expecting it to be that much.

My car was a 1.2T with CVT. The dealer was pretty happy, a non-hybrid with automatic, and capable of towing 1200 kg. That would be sold pretty easy. 

The car was just serviced, gearbox oil changed at 40.000 miles, always washed by hand, whats not to like?? 

But it turned out to be a 5 months sale... 

Apart from that, my experience is, that Toyota dealers trade in used cars at very good prices. And gives nice discounts on new cars as well. 

• Like 1

we had bought our car at £8000 which was an Auris 2014 with 15K on the clock and it had full dealer history, went to my local dealer and they had valued our car 6 months ago at £7,500 but as I was looking for a used car they put their values low but if you had bought a brand new car then it would have been £9,000.

On 4/10/2020 at 10:10 AM, nielshm said:

I've had my Corolla for 5 months now, traded in my 3,5 years old Auris with 65.000 miles on the clock. 

It has just been sold, 5 months, thats a long time, since the dealer has contacts every where. I'm happy I didn't try to sell it my self, it would has been at a much lower price. 

Have you experienced something similar trying to sell your old car? 

What did you get for trade in and what were they welling it for? Did you get a discount on the new price?? How did it the price stack up if you didn't trade in??? What could you have got for your used if you sold privately??

On 4/11/2020 at 2:09 PM, Holiday786 said:

we had bought our car at £8000 which was an Auris 2014 with 15K on the clock and it had full dealer history, went to my local dealer and they had valued our car 6 months ago at £7,500 but as I was looking for a used car they put their values low but if you had bought a brand new car then it would have been £9,000.

seems a bit high for a 6 yr old car but maybe due to low miles it was that price. I bought auris 07 1.6L TR spec just under 5 yrs old, 40k miles for £5500 from toyota dealer. It looks like prices have gone up and I can't understand why and refuse to buy another until they come down again. No way will I pay for another auris (just normal petrol one) more than say £6000 for a 5 yr old one with around 50k miles. Maybe this corono thing will bring down prices a bit. Was interested in this one https://usedcars.toyota.co.uk/en/used-toyota/Toyota/Auris-Hatchback/12T-Icon-5dr-qxb97hj but the price is a bit nuts for a almost 4 year old car.

Doubt the Coronavirus situation will bring used prices down. There are rumours that the Government may have another scrappage scheme afterwards to encourage new car sales, which is what the industry will need. As per the last official scrappage scheme of 2009 (not the manufacturer based schemes we've had in recent years) that targeted cars over five years old, which had the effect of increasing prices for three year old plus cars, as owners of these weren't trading up as they had done previously.

Aside from that with the higher prices of new cars due to higher parts costs, increased equipment, different emissions standards, etc, etc, used cars will likewise keep a higher value. For example historically a five year old car retains say around 40% of its value when new - so a car which may have cost £13,000 new in 2012, would probably cost £20,000 today. When the 2020 model is five years old, it will still hold around the same percentage value (ie 40% of £20,000).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ziauris said:

What did you get for trade in and what were they welling it for? Did you get a discount on the new price?? How did it the price stack up if you didn't trade in??? What could you have got for your used if you sold privately??

seems a bit high for a 6 yr old car but maybe due to low miles it was that price. I bought auris 07 1.6L TR spec just under 5 yrs old, 40k miles for £5500 from toyota dealer. It looks like prices have gone up and I can't understand why and refuse to buy another until they come down again. No way will I pay for another auris (just normal petrol one) more than say £6000 for a 5 yr old one with around 50k miles. Maybe this corono thing will bring down prices a bit. Was interested in this one https://usedcars.toyota.co.uk/en/used-toyota/Toyota/Auris-Hatchback/12T-Icon-5dr-qxb97hj but the price is a bit nuts for a almost 4 year old car.

It wasn’t high at all. It was 5 years old and is the excel edition. The other cars last year was around 9k to 10k mark. I agree the second hand market value is going up at the dealerships. We had bout a  2014Ct200h premier at 20k miles and it was at 16k as it had just run out it’s warranty but if you look at a 4-5 exact specs it’s around 17-18k. 

Bear in mind that I'm from Denmark, and model specs and prices are pretty different than UK. 

My new car discount was 13% compared to the general price list. I got 150.000 DKK for my old car, the dealer tried to sell it for 170.000 DKK, but cut the price to 165.000. 

A non-Toyota dealer would sell the car for 145.000 DKK. 

I also got 0% intetest with my new loan, savings in 8 years are 30.000 DKK. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Doubt the Coronavirus situation will bring used prices down. There are rumours that the Government may have another scrappage scheme afterwards to encourage new car sales, which is what the industry will need. As per the last official scrappage scheme of 2009 (not the manufacturer based schemes we've had in recent years) that targeted cars over five years old, which had the effect of increasing prices for three year old plus cars, as owners of these weren't trading up as they had done previously.

Aside from that with the higher prices of new cars due to higher parts costs, increased equipment, different emissions standards, etc, etc, used cars will likewise keep a higher value. For example historically a five year old car retains say around 40% of its value when new - so a car which may have cost £13,000 new in 2012, would probably cost £20,000 today. When the 2020 model is five years old, it will still hold around the same percentage value (ie 40% of £20,000).

Scrappage scheme, if implemented will just screw the poor working class even more - loss of pay/job/etc and higher costs of food/housing/fuel etc. Typical I guess from the (conservative) regime run by millionaires like Boris/CaMORON/MayBOT etc.

Higher prices due to parts etc, I disagree. They are using more robots (=reduce costs), and if you google or look on youtube for "new car graveyard", you will see there is massive over-production of new cars and many unsold new cars. Some of the price of the new car you're paying is to cover the new graveyard cars that will be destroyed. This is to keep new prices and second hand prices high.  

They are private business and should be left to sink/swim on their own, that's what Iceland did with its banks ( as well as jailing the fraudsters) and they have recovered faster than we have. watch the movie "the big short" and you will get what I am talking about.

Labour introduced the original scrappage scheme in 2009, so presumably are no different to later governments in respect of these types of scheme, and ministers from whatever party are often wealthier than it may appear.

As regards new car graveyards, yes there are large storage facilities in countries like the UK, etc which are used to store cars before they are released to dealerships, fleets, etc. Any company over-producing products and storing them ad infinitum won't remain in business due to the costs involved.

This is why car companies sometimes reduce shifts in car plants if models aren't selling in the anticipated volumes. For example JaguarLandrover, Honda, etc have all done this at times over the past few years.

Its all very well letting private businesses sink or swim, but in today's world if scores of private companies aren't given some assistance to survive, who is going to employ people when the current situation improves. Perhaps a dose of realism is needed.