Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 (1999) Temp Gauge still reading low all the time

abruzzorav

Hello Everyone and Happy Easter!

I'm after some advice to help me fix my car and stop it from potentially overheating now that its getting warmer.

The Temperature Gauge on my Rav4 is permanently giving a low reading. The needle always used to sit midway up the gauge (for the first 20 years!) then one day about 3 months ago it hardly moved and has been there since. I was advised by a Garage that it was most likely the sensor behind the temperature gauge, behind the dash board and that the only cure was to replace the sensor, which meant replacing the Instrument cluster. After weeks of hunting around I managed to get a second hand cluster which i was assured was fully functioning.

Instrument cluster swapped, but the problem is still there. Its unlikely that 1 person could have two instrument panels with exactly the same fault, so i'm guessing it must be another sensor. Any suggestions as to the fault would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Duncan

Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alan333 said:

Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open

Exactly the cause of my Volvo temp gauge reading low. Stuck open!

James.:thumbsup:

Replace your cooling system thermostat, making sure vent hole is uppermost. I bought genuine, for mine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Auris James said:

Exactly the cause of my Volvo temp gauge reading low. Stuck open!

James.:thumbsup:

Yep it’s stuck open, in the meantime it won’t prevent you from using the car. Replace it with a new one and check all for leaks afterwards.

• Like 1

Hi Alan, James and Bernard

Thanks very much for replying. Now i can get this sorted. Thanks again, Duncan

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, abruzzorav said:

Hi Alan, James and Bernard

Thanks very much for replying. Now i can get this sorted. Thanks again, Duncan

Let us know the outcome Duncan. As a matter of interest any idea when the coolant was last changed?

Hi Bernard

The coolant was last changed about 12 months ago. I've religiously had it serviced since i bought it back in 2006, which is how it's reached 250,000 miles and is still going (not bad for a petrol engine).

I'll get back to you with the outcome, but it may not be done for a while, due to garage closures with this 'Plague'.

Stay safe

D