Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris problem

Ervin

Hello everyone 

I have this problem with me yaris 1.3 vvti 2007 model...it says crankshaft position and camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor A? 

What can I do?

Screenshot_20200415-205730_Gallery.thumb.jpg.b6ffce8b99cac07d6774af0df261caac.jpg

How dirty is the oil and when was it last changed? What mileage has the car covered and any service history?

I changed the oli before 2 months and the mileage is 15.000

Service history I dont know I bought it before 3 months was working ok after the oil change started doing this...the oil is 10w40 

Does the car run okay at idle and also under load? I s the mileage 15000 or 150000?

Also do you have the freeze frame from the code reader? When did the engine light first come on?

Going on what I've read about this, its highly likely to indicate a timing problem caused by a worn or stretched timing chain, so that the expected (by the ecu) camshaft position does not correspond to the current position of the crankshaft. High mileage engines or engines that have had a poor oil change history are more likely to wear their timing chains due to contaminants in dirty oil. Engines with timing chains such as ours, need a regular oil change interval and I usually do mine every 6000 miles to prevent chain wear. Buying any second hand Yaris with higher mileage is risky without a verified oil change history, and any engine making a metallic rattling at idle from the drivebelt pulley end of the engine would mean I would certainly walk away.

Replacing a worn timing chain would not be a cheap job unfortunately.

My starts ok but after 2 min the rpm goes low 

..when I bought the the can the oil was really dirty I change it and after that started this ...the engine light was on but the seller covered it with a black sticker so I didn't seen it...

The mileage is 115.000 

7 minutes ago, Ervin said:

My starts ok but after 2 min the rpm goes low 

..when I bought the the can the oil was really dirty I change it and after that started this ...the engine light was on but the seller covered it with a black sticker so I didn't seen it...

The mileage is 115.000 

Wow, having read the above post of what the previous owner did would send shivers down my mechanical spine. I would fear for how this car was looked after & serviced. Even the milage might not be correct.

The oil is too thick and will cause all sorts of issues including messing up the vvti solenoid, A full oil change with filter is required it should be semi-synthetic 5w30

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

The oil is too thick and will cause all sorts of issues including messing up the vvti solenoid, A full oil change with filter is required it should be semi-synthetic 5w30

I changed 2 times the oli the first time was genuine toyota 5w30 but still nothing..and now I have Eneos 10w30 ...

1 hour ago, Bernard Foy said:

Wow, having read the above post of what the previous owner did would send shivers down my mechanical spine. I would fear for how this car was looked after & serviced. Even the milage might not be correct.

I dont know about the mileage...

When I drive  and change from 2 to 3 gear it need a bit time to drive normal like doesn't get enough air or something like that 

It seems to me you've bought a heap of trouble. Was it a private sale or dealer?

That's the problem, you have what is a very robust and reliable vehicle which to some mean it can be neglected service wise, they'll run on it with the same oil for many years and think nothing of it, shame really as we end up with cars like this!

Don't get misled by the oil, if the car ran with the old oil, it was to some sense doing its job. Changing it can only help lubrication and is unlikely to cause your starting problem. I sense that the problem you have is not a simple one and will need a mechanic who knows his stuff to have a look. It seems you have a timing issue which could be caused by number things and someone needs the tools and knowledge to diagnose.

4 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

It seems to me you've bought a heap of trouble. Was it a private sale or dealer?

Yes private 

8 hours ago, flash22 said:

My camshaft sensors is really dirty..

Screenshot_20200416-214844_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200416-214841_Gallery.jpg

A clean may all it needs!

That was definitely caused by lack of regular oil changes, it's a common fault when oil changes are neglected.

i would also pull the crank sensor and clean it too, no doubt the cam cover is leaking removing it will tell you how it's been looked after it will likely need a good clean

it depends on how long it has been left between oil changes it may have fowled up the lubrication to the timing chain, if so its stretched the chain

the vvti gear and solenoid are also prone to fail due to the lack of oil changes too

This car sounds like it was owned by a single mum and it's been run until it drops

No was a Pakistani guy and his uncle is a vehicle mechanic..

I cleaned it and it for like 10 min was working good and after that ne check engine light came on again and started the same story 

Any chance of the freeze frame data of this fault? Your tame mechanic should be able to show you this on their scanner BEFORE they clear the codes.The data will assist in tracking down the actual fault, rather than guessing. 

P0016 code definition

Camshaft Position A - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1)

What the P0016 code means

P0016 is the OBD-II generic code indicating that the camshaft position sensor for bank 1 does not correlate to the signal from the crankshaft position sensor.

What causes the P0016 code?

• The camshaft timing is out of position due to the timing chain jumped teeth.

• The camshaft phaser is out of position due to problems with phaser.

• The oil has flow to the phaser is impeded from having an incorrect oil viscosity or partly clogged passages.

• The Oil Control Valve (OCV) has a restriction in the OCV filter.

What are the symptoms of the P0016 code?

• The Check Engine Light comes on. 
  • The engine may have a reduction in power or start hard.
  • The engine may run erratically, stall, hesitate, or run rough.
  • The engine's fuel mileage will decrease. 

Note: The erratic drive complaints will vary depending on the failure.

How does a mechanic diagnose the P0016 code?

• Visually checks for problems with the connections or wiring of the OCV, camshaft and crankshaft sensors

• Verifies that the engine oil is full and that the oil is clean with the correct viscosity

• Scans and documents the engine codes and views the freeze frame data to see when the code was set

• Resets the Check Engine Light and road tests again to see if code returns

• Commands the OCV on and off to see if the camshaft sensor is indicating timing changes for the bank 1 camshaft

• Performs the manufacturer’s tests for the P0016 code to determine the cause of the code

Note: The manufacturer's recommended pinpoint test is used to narrow down the problem. Following the recommended tests will help with diagnosis without replacing the wrong parts.

Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0016 code

• Not verifying the failure and codes before attempting any repairs

• Not doing a visual check for possible problems with the wiring or connections to the components

• Not doing all pinpoint test steps to help prevent misdiagnosis of good components

• Not replacing parts directed by the pinpoint test or visually checking them to make sure they are bad

How serious is the P0016 code?

• The engine can have stalling or hesitations along with hard starting.

• The timing chain may have problems with tensioners or guides and can lead to major engine damage if the valves hit the pistons.

• Driving the vehicle for a prolonged time with the camshafts out of time may cause additional internal engine problems, depending on the failed part.

What repairs can fix the P0016 code?

• Resetting the fault codes and performing a road test
  • Replacing the camshaft sensor on bank 1
  • Repairing the wiring or connection to the camshaft OCV or camshaft sensor
  • Replacing the camshaft OCV for bank 1 exhaust camshaft
  • Replacing the timing chain and guides

Additional comments for consideration regarding the P0016 code

• The code P0016 can be due to the camshaft sensor for bank 1 having an internal intermittent problem due to vibration or heat. These problems may or may not be able to be verified. If repeated attempts to find the failure end up in not verifying the code, then suspect a failing camshaft sensor. 

Could still be a dirty/faulty sensor or wiring that is easily fixed, on the other hand like you say if it's been run with this issue for a while then permanent may have been caused. Still love to see the freeze frame data of this or any other fault codes in order to expand my knowledge. 

Codes are to be used as a diagnostic tool they are a symptom not the cause

Some mechanics just read a code and fire the parts cannon at it and see what sticks

if the sensor reads ok with a meter, scope the cam and crank and see what the waveforms look like

The engine needs a once over to see the condition its in

On 4/17/2020 at 5:26 PM, flash22 said:

i would also pull the crank sensor and clean it too, no doubt the cam cover is leaking removing it will tell you how it's been looked after it will likely need a good clean

it depends on how long it has been left between oil changes it may have fowled up the lubrication to the timing chain, if so its stretched the chain

the vvti gear and solenoid are also prone to fail due to the lack of oil changes too

This car sounds like it was owned by a single mum and it's been run until it drops

On 4/17/2020 at 8:10 PM, stantheman1 said:

Could still be a dirty/faulty sensor or wiring that is easily fixed, on the other hand like you say if it's been run with this issue for a while then permanent may have been caused. Still love to see the freeze frame data of this or any other fault codes in order to expand my knowledge. 

On 4/17/2020 at 8:10 PM, stantheman1 said:

That's my freeze frame 

Screenshot_20200425-033909_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200425-033906_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200425-033903_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200425-033900_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200425-033857_Gallery.jpg