Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power windows, Auto and llumination

flash22

I have been working on this project for a bit, so thought i better write it down somewhere

The AUTO switch is part of the Lin bus system (Multiplexed) and controls the motor over a single wire from the driver's door switch, the switch on the passenger door controls the motor, all the control system is in the motor

The problem is even if you put a LHD motor in the passenger door you still need to get it to talk to a master switch - that leads to having to change the master switch in the case of a 5 door that means changing the motor in the rear doors (if fitted)

The Yaris system apart from the driver's door is an "analogue" system the switch basically switches the positive and negative for up/down (2 wire motor)

You can get one touch modules that work with the standard switches, I have a rough design for a module to use an auto switch from an Auris,

I'm in the process of designing a control module, the window control is the easy part, with an off the shelf Omron G8ND H bridge relay and the switching between drivers and passenger can be done with a pair of SPDT relays now the difficult part is detecting the motor current in a stall situation e.g. top and bottom of travel and jam situations (still working on this)

to add to my pile of parts I have

An Auris door loom - salvage the motor and switch plugs (oem terminals are handy to have)

An Auris multiplexed window motor (it was cheap) ideally wanted a yaris drivers door window motor - Note, the motors are handed

A mix of door switches the Yaris and Auris use the same switches (apart from the Auris Passenger Auto button)

When the motor turns up I want to have a look at the control board that does all the motor controls, limit and auto function, the Auris switch is a ground side switch what's to make it simply is 3 switches Up, Down and Auto, in Auto mode, up or down is grounded and the auto is grounded until the switch is released (auto is a momentary trigger) this triggers a circuit until the switch in interrupted or the window hit its open, close position or an obstruction thus the motor stalling and the current rises turning the motor off

I have been mulling this over for a few days and realized why not take the control board from a multiplexed motor add a pair of relays, then you have a low cost auto window module with no need for Lin bus

I may look at reverse engineering the motor control board and strip out what i don't need

• 5 weeks later...

Ok so i over thought this - I decided to go with an off the shelf module, now i have one i can see how it works it can be used with the yaris switch or the Auris Auto switch, wiring is straight forward, I'm going with a plug in harness as i don't like cutting the factory loom

plugs are hard to find at the moment as the 5 pin housings are proprietary to Toyota (made by Yazaki)

For anyone interested the part numbers are.90980-11085 (Male) and  90980-10789 (female)

The terminals are 090 II type you can buy pigtails from the dealer but there £8 each or the terminals cheaply from most suppliers, I have opted to salvage a wiring loom for the part and have purchased some 8 way connectors of the same type (5 original wires for the window switch plus ground and illumination) this is completely reversible in the future

I need to tap a ground from the door loom and install an illumination wire from the car into the door (using the salvage loom parts)

This mod should be the same for the Auris with the non auto Passenger window as well as the rears in the Yaris/Auris

Thanks for the update Bob,I find what you are doing interesting and would like to know if your new 'off the shelf module ' provides 'stall detection' for the motor or have you made your own controller? 

It does the stall and bounce back (i have yet to test it fully) im waiting on connectors from japan, the only uk supplier has min order of 1000 units and 5000 terminals !!

The loom(s) have been sacrificed and a pic of the module, just waiting on the plugs now

IMG_1514.JPG

IMG_1515.JPG

I am watching this with interest. My Yaris has manual windows but my MR2 has electric. Ideally they would both be auto up and down, currently the driver’s is auto down only. Good luck.

I will update once I have the plugs it's the only item I need

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting on the connectors 😞

I decided to see about making the Auris auto switch illumination a bit brighter

2017893010_Aurisautowinswint.thumb.JPG.32f18f2623004970c30e2b3c8301817d.JPG

The led has a forward voltage of 2.9-3.2v the resistor is on the negative side with the colour code of Green, Brown, Red and Gold - so 5100Ω or 5.1kΩ - a quick calc shows the led current is capped at 2ma being a blue led it should handle up to 20ma

By lowering the resistor value it will raise the current - brighter led

These switches come in orange and blue led versions with the same part number

i have a large selection of led's but not sure whether to change colours as blue is all a bit mid 2000's, i could also do the tell-tell lights (next to the radio) but unsure on colours

How bright do you want to go? I would try the led with a 2k7 resistor which should be almost twice as bright.

TBH i need to have a play i was thinking somewhere in the 3-3.5k range, the switch cap does diffuse quite a bit of brightness

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up with 3k9 and swapping the LED, I did try some standard led's but it left a dark ring so i got some flat top Led's what emits the light upwards rather than out the sides (wide angle)

Blue looks more washed out in the pic its darker and more vibrant blue IRL - the white is a bit meh, the red is growing on me

IMG_1526.JPG

IMG_1528.JPG

IMG_1530.JPG

Reordered the connectors and paid for FedEx this time, haven't a clue what happened to the first order

anyhoo.

719417698_IMG_1537(Medium).thumb.JPG.7f307c7f519f4753ce37141b42f41a8b.JPG

Made a harness up yesterday just got to wrap it

678026586_IMG_1539(Medium).thumb.JPG.977610b08f3b03297d2f3253a5dab077.JPG

• 2 years later...

Hi Bob @flash22, please can you reply to me if you are still active on the forum. 

I recently posted on here about installing interior ambient LEDs in my Avensis. We used the power window wiring in each door to power this by splicing into it. The LED light in each switch has a red wire coming from the motor which is the wire in question.  This wire inside one of my doors stopped delivering power a few days after installation so my ambient lights no longer work in that door, nor does the little blue LED on the rear switch. 

But! The window still goes up and down, the switches all work as usual. I took out the motor / window regulator assembly and found a little circuit board - nothing looked burnt out or blown by eye. 

Any idea what else (and where else) something could have gone wrong?  No power is coming through the wire from motor to switch unit.  

I saw you had a bit of a mess around with this LED and might know about electrics enough to give me a pointer on my issue? 

Just about............

Have you lost power or the ground ?

Is it only 1 door

I take it the window/ locks work

what wire did you tap ?